IGNORED

Thanks to the wayback Machine - Atari Corp website

DracIsBack

Very nice to read through this site :) thanks!

I was surprised to see this written in the Rayman article "Players explore multi-layered worlds with independently scrolling backdrops"

Unfortunately that never happened for the Jaguar :(

Edited by Isgoed

Man do I wish that site showed a lot more pics than it does.

Unfortunately, that was the way of the World Wide Web "way back" in 1996: web pages were static text and graphics, with as little graphics as possible to accommodate those who were accessing the Internet through 14.4Kbps dial-up modems.

(At least, that's the way it was if the web page was well-designed. Some of those old high school kid pages from that era were a different story: gigantic pictures of their kittens in BMP format, sparkling rainbow bars, black starfield background, annoying music, a glut of animated GIFs, and centered blinking text in garish neon colors. Ugh!)

• Like 2

Some of those old high school kid pages from that era were a different story: gigantic pictures of their kittens in BMP format, sparkling rainbow bars, black starfield background, annoying music, a glut of animated GIFs, and centered blinking text in garish neon colors. Ugh!)

I admit I was guilty of this, haha. Albeit that was my first web site.. I quickly got the point though, as even I had trouble downloading it at a proper speed. :)

Man, I LOVED visiting that site back in the day when I was just getting into the Jaguar. I actually archived it myself somewhere on an old computer's hard drive when I heard they would be closing down. Compared to a lot of what was online at the time, the Jaguar site was extremely classy.

(At least, that's the way it was if the web page was well-designed. Some of those old high school kid pages from that era were a different story: gigantic pictures of their kittens in BMP format, sparkling rainbow bars, black starfield background, annoying music, a glut of animated GIFs, and centered blinking text in garish neon colors. Ugh!)

You just described MySpace circa 2009.

• Like 2

Ah, the entropy!

After all, nowadays it's everything like that:

got more memory? let's fill it up with $useless_data !

got more processing power? let's write unoptimized code!

got more bandwidth? flash ads all the way!

By the way, back then 14.4 was a great speed for those who could afford such a modem and a capable POTS line.

I remember falling back to 9600 most of the times (can't remember the exact year, though...)

• Like 1

Look at some myspace pages, they are still like that. That Atari page was the bomb, love it then and now :)