IGNORED

Opcode prototype auctions - batch 2

opcode

About the SGM case.... will it look like the unreleased SuperGame Module from Coleco?

Would just be awesome!

Kind of. The original SGM was going to be very wide, it would cover the whole CV front panel. The new SGM PCB is very small, and creating a mold/tool for a large piece of pastic like the original SGM would be way too expensive. So the plan is to have the new SGM as wide as of the CV expansion port, but about the same height as the CV.

For the CV2, we are aiming for a PCB about the size of the original PCB, which means we would have a case about half the original CV case (just like some CVJr mods).

That's pretty cool news. Does André Lamothe still fit in your CV2 plans somewhere?

Andre should take care of manufacturing. Unfortunately he is too busy to help with actual development, and while he gave me a lot of technical support, I just want to speed up things, so bringing up someone more experient and dedicated to the CV2 project was the way I found. I just hope things work this time...

Just one small question concerning Pengo: Will you be squeezing the playfield vertically so that the arcade levels fit on the TV screen, or will you be truncating the playfields?

I was thinking of having both. Squeezing the playerfield would give arcade perfect gameplay, just like Pac-Man Collection, while truncating the playerfield would give better graphics, so it would be up to the user to decide.

Getting back to the prototypes topic, I was just talking to the winner of the first Track&Field2 copy and he mentioned something that gave me an idea.

As a way to thank everyone who contributed buying one of those prototypes (including the first 3), I would like to offer the following:

1) You get any piece of hardware that gets produced for free up to the combined value of all prototypes you bought. This offer is limited to a single piece of each hardware.

2) You get the chance to beta test any new hardware, the exact criteria being: number of prototypes you got, followed by combined amount paid. For example, supposing we decide we need 5 beta testers, we can then pick the 5 people who got the most prototypes and in case there are more than 5 with the same number of protypes the decisive factor would be combined amount paid. Beta tester will receive all necessary hardware (except the original CV of course), but should return everything once beta is done.

Eduardo

• Like 1

2) You get the chance to beta test any new hardware, the exact criteria being: number of prototypes you got, followed by combined amount paid. For example, supposing we decide we need 5 beta testers, we can then pick the 5 people who got the most prototypes and in case there are more than 5 with the same number of protypes the decisive factor would be combined amount paid. Beta tester will receive all necessary hardware (except the original CV of course), but should return everything once beta is done.

Nice idea, but someone who bought one or more of your prototypes may not necessarily have any free time to offer for beta-testing.

I'd be on the fence about this myself: I don't want to take on too many side projects this year (to make as much room as possible on my agenda for BasicVision) but then again, beta-testing DK Arcade would be beyond cool, so yeah, definately on the fence here... :P

Nice idea, but someone who bought one or more of your prototypes may not necessarily have any free time to offer for beta-testing.

I'd be on the fence about this myself: I don't want to take on too many side projects this year (to make as much room as possible on my agenda for BasicVision) but then again, beta-testing DK Arcade would be beyond cool, so yeah, definately on the fence here... :P

Well, the chance will be offered anyways. That is right, beta testing requires a lot of commitment and patience.

BTW, why do assume you are going to be one of the testers? :P

Getting back to the prototypes topic, I was just talking to the winner of the first Track&Field2 copy and he mentioned something that gave me an idea.

As a way to thank everyone who contributed buying one of those prototypes (including the first 3), I would like to offer the following:

1) You get any piece of hardware that gets produced for free up to the combined value of all prototypes you bought. This offer is limited to a single piece of each hardware.

icon_lust.gif WOW, that's great news! In hindsight I should have bid higher on Exerion!icon_mrgreen.gif

Excellent idea and thanks for coming up with such a generous offer for the protos winners. icon_thumbsup.gif

Very happy to see you back posting, hope you'll stick around. icon_smile.gif

Eduardo...why are you such a hateful and vindictive person?

I don't think I am hateful. I easily loose my temper, yes, but I am not hateful.

I came here to post something I thought would of interest of a few people, this is an open forum after all. Then some guy, who now seems to hate me just because he didn't get what he wanted a few months ago, starts to publicly insult me. Who is being vindictive? I think I have the right to defend myself and expose the facts since I have been publicly offended...

Yurkie has a point. You pissed off a lot of people who wouldn't kiss your a** and left here in a huff vowing never to return. Then when you want to sell something you come back. No offense, but the REAL collectors here will find your stuff without you posting messages about it.

Does that means I am not allowed to post anymore?

You've teased people here and elsewhere literally for years with promises of games and expansion modules, etc. Coleco and other companies did this too and the items never materialized. It's called vaporware. There was a lot of anticipation, disappointment and bad feelings over these products.

Coleco was a company. I can argue that I am just an individual that do stuff during my free time. And good stuff takes time. I have always posted updates about my progress, here or on my website. It isn't like I post mockup and screenshots that never go beyond conceptual stage. Most of the things I am working on have been demoed in some form publicly.

So again, I am sorry that I cannot announce things a day and then release them the next. The only option is to not announce anything at all until it is done.

How do the people out here know that your items will ever materialize?

That is something no homebrewer can guarantee, unless again we don't show anything until it is done.

Why should we even care as you'll only sell to your "fans" and not anyone who has ever crossed you.

As far as I remember you are the only person I ever refused to sell something, and you know why...

Undoubtedly you'll fly off into another rage now and shut down development on everything, blaming everyone but yourself.

Actually not...

If Yurkie has the problem....why is he and everyone else still here and not you? You're the one who left after basically flying the finger at everyone.

Why don't you offer up an apology and come back and participate in this forum like the rest of us have continued to do since you left?

Apology is a good advice that you should follow, as I never got one from you.

But, yeah, you are right, apologies are in order:

So for what it is worth, I apology for my behavior here months ago during the David Harley episode. My sincere apologies for all the ColecoVision fans here that always supported me and who I might have insulted or offended or disappointed with my questionable behavior. In my defense (and knowing it isn't by any means an excuse for my actions) I have to say that the whole ROM distribution episode was very stressful and I was under a lot of pressure at the time, and that I got carried away, lost my temper and really said things I now regret.

In special I would like to apologize to retroillucid and steven tucker who really didn't deserve to get involved the way they did. In fact I would like to extend my apologies to everyone who I may have offended in the past, newcoleco, a few others, and even you mr Blenkle. We are such a small community, we may not be all friends, but we surely share the same passion and in name of that we should at least try to get all along. I hope you guys can accept me back…

Eduardo

as a fan and collector of your stuff, Ed and someone that was upset with your leaving during the rom distribution saga, I accept that apology and can understand your behaviour

thanks for that

Welcome back, Eduardo!

Question: Do you have a mailing list and/or pre-order for the SGM? I've been looking forward to this for a while and want to be kept up to date on when I can buy one. :D

I hope to have that set up later this year.

Welcome back Eduardo!

I thought you might like a good laugh to celebrate your return. Check out what your game is apparently worth now... now that you are "out of business" :roll::ponder:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2806264997461?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=280626499746&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Cheers! :)

It's on sale no less! :ponder: When I find these, I often submit an offer for like 10 bucks, just to piss the seller off.

Welcome back, Eduardo!

Question: Do you have a mailing list and/or pre-order for the SGM? I've been looking forward to this for a while and want to be kept up to date on when I can buy one. icon_mrgreen.gif

I hope to have that set up later this year.

Looking forward to putting my name on that list! icon_smile.gif

I'm really looking foward your SGM Eduardo, seem like it'll be fun to discover every features.... The bios screen itself is so damn nice

Also, you mentioned that the case will be smaller than the original one (wich I understand considering the cost)

... but I really expect something that would look and feel like the original unreleased SuperGame Module from Coleco ..... maybe use the same design but make it smaller than the original case .... something that would fit your upcomming CV2 maybe? :)

OK, without answering directly to all you quoted back (it can be found below). You make some good and valid points. And I appreciate your apology to everyone...that shows a lot of character. But I still take issue with one thing. Can you blame me for getting mad at you? You agreed to send me a copy of Space Invaders to review in the quarterly video game newspaper I was publishing at the time. In all, my paper only lasted four issues because I couldn't get enough advertising for it. You promised to send me the game and missed the deadline for issue three...and then four...and then you send me the game and I no longer have a newspaper to review it in. Then you seemingly get mad at me because of that. So I get mad back and tell you I'm not going to send you the game back.

The game sat on my desk for what...two years? Unopened, unplayed...The whole game thing was eventually resolved as a deal was brokered by Luc to send it to a third party who wanted to buy it.

So why do you single me out not to sell your games to? I don't understand what that is accomplishing. I certainly am willing to apologize for any wrongs you may feel I have done to you. But, despite having been with ColecoVision and the ADAM since day one, I am not fanatical enough to care if I buy games at all. Therefore not selling them to me really has no effect on me whatsoever. My entire ColecoVision collection numbers about 20 cartridges - all bought on eBay for a few bucks each. Quite frankly, I can't afford the prices that are being asked for homebrews. My only source of income right now is from a ski/snowboard newspaper I publish during the winter and my money flow has so many peaks and valleys you can't follow it. I may have $500 in the bank one day and next to nothing the next.

But whether I buy games is not the point. I'm in this for the long haul. I want to see the CV and ADAM continue to thrive. To that end, I'm glad you are continuing development on your games and other projects. It pains me though to see you sell five copies of prototype games on eBay and people are paying hundreds of dollars for them. Certainly that is an ideal way to raise money to continue your development. But where does that leave the rest of us who either can't afford that or miss out as the high bidder?

If you have no intention of ever releasing these games, at least release the rom after a certain amount of time. If this is truly your hobby and you do it for fun, why can't other people share in the joy of your games?

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, this is all water under the bridge now. Best of luck to you and everyone else in your future projects.

Eduardo...why are you such a hateful and vindictive person?

I don't think I am hateful. I easily loose my temper, yes, but I am not hateful.

I came here to post something I thought would of interest of a few people, this is an open forum after all. Then some guy, who now seems to hate me just because he didn't get what he wanted a few months ago, starts to publicly insult me. Who is being vindictive? I think I have the right to defend myself and expose the facts since I have been publicly offended...

Yurkie has a point. You pissed off a lot of people who wouldn't kiss your a** and left here in a huff vowing never to return. Then when you want to sell something you come back. No offense, but the REAL collectors here will find your stuff without you posting messages about it.

Does that means I am not allowed to post anymore?

You've teased people here and elsewhere literally for years with promises of games and expansion modules, etc. Coleco and other companies did this too and the items never materialized. It's called vaporware. There was a lot of anticipation, disappointment and bad feelings over these products.

Coleco was a company. I can argue that I am just an individual that do stuff during my free time. And good stuff takes time. I have always posted updates about my progress, here or on my website. It isn't like I post mockup and screenshots that never go beyond conceptual stage. Most of the things I am working on have been demoed in some form publicly.

So again, I am sorry that I cannot announce things a day and then release them the next. The only option is to not announce anything at all until it is done.

How do the people out here know that your items will ever materialize?

That is something no homebrewer can guarantee, unless again we don't show anything until it is done.

Why should we even care as you'll only sell to your "fans" and not anyone who has ever crossed you.

As far as I remember you are the only person I ever refused to sell something, and you know why...

Undoubtedly you'll fly off into another rage now and shut down development on everything, blaming everyone but yourself.

Actually not...

If Yurkie has the problem....why is he and everyone else still here and not you? You're the one who left after basically flying the finger at everyone.

Why don't you offer up an apology and come back and participate in this forum like the rest of us have continued to do since you left?

Apology is a good advice that you should follow, as I never got one from you.

But, yeah, you are right, apologies are in order:

So for what it is worth, I apology for my behavior here months ago during the David Harley episode. My sincere apologies for all the ColecoVision fans here that always supported me and who I might have insulted or offended or disappointed with my questionable behavior. In my defense (and knowing it isn't by any means an excuse for my actions) I have to say that the whole ROM distribution episode was very stressful and I was under a lot of pressure at the time, and that I got carried away, lost my temper and really said things I now regret.

In special I would like to apologize to retroillucid and steven tucker who really didn't deserve to get involved the way they did. In fact I would like to extend my apologies to everyone who I may have offended in the past, newcoleco, a few others, and even you mr Blenkle. We are such a small community, we may not be all friends, but we surely share the same passion and in name of that we should at least try to get all along. I hope you guys can accept me back…

Eduardo

• Like 1

Personnaly i'm very impressed that some people can put about 400usd or more in a game (being prototype or not) that is an msx port.

For that price, they can have : the MSX , the game and tens of other!

But when you love you don't count. :)

Anyway i'm looking foward for your DK Release Eduardo! :lust: :lust:

So why do you single me out not to sell your games to? I don't understand what that is accomplishing. I certainly am willing to apologize for any wrongs you may feel I have done to you. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, this is all water under the bridge now. Best of luck to you and everyone else in your future projects.

Excellent, so we can leave it all behind us now. :)

• Like 1