IGNORED

Rarity vs Price on the 7800

DocEss

Seems very odd. I'm probably not the first person to mention/ask this, but is there some reason why it's so all-over the place? Games that aren't terribly rare on the system (at least as far as the scale here) can command hefty prices, and games that are much rarer, can be had for very low prices, and games that shouldn't be rare end up being harder to find than ones that actually ARE rare.

Perhaps just due to some of the titles not being as well known? People not aware of what they have? Or just an overall lack of "Holy crap this is rare", like the 2600 had?

Are you talking about eBay? Yeah, there's always a lot of strangeness going on there with price/values. Mostly overpriced BIN's that aren't selling and most everyone thinks what they have is golden.

I've noticed though that the 7800 seems to be gaining in popularity. Perhaps a lot of people were unaware of it and most of its oddball titles as of late and since it's relatively easy to collect for, maybe they're just going ahead and taking the plunge?

Are you talking about eBay? Yeah, there's always a lot of strangeness going on there with price/values. Mostly overpriced BIN's that aren't selling and most everyone thinks what they have is golden.

I've noticed though that the 7800 seems to be gaining in popularity. Perhaps a lot of people were unaware of it and most of its oddball titles as of late and since it's relatively easy to collect for, maybe they're just going ahead and taking the plunge?

Not even just eBay, just sort of an overall of everywhere I've seen that sells the games these days. Mean 18 is, scale-wise, just as rare as Tank Command, but I've seen that for as low as 20 bucks, and I've seen less-rare games go for 50+. It's just odd to me. The 2600 seems to have a fairly solid baseline, regardless of where you look, but the 7800 just goes all over.

I think the Retro players slowly get to know the 7800. I mean, it REALLY is an awesome machine with a very decent game library. I just restarted my collection (sold it some years ago) and the majority of games is really good.

The rarity guide is nice, but when there are common games, noone wants to sell (I am looking for PAL Dark Chambers at the moment - anyone?) and suddenly one on ebay, price goes up and sometimes in strange areas... but that's (after-) market - demand and offer.

But all over all the 7800 games still are fair priced!

I think the Retro players slowly get to know the 7800. I mean, it REALLY is an awesome machine with a very decent game library. I just restarted my collection (sold it some years ago) and the majority of games is really good.

The rarity guide is nice, but when there are common games, noone wants to sell (I am looking for PAL Dark Chambers at the moment - anyone?) and suddenly one on ebay, price goes up and sometimes in strange areas... but that's (after-) market - demand and offer.

But all over all the 7800 games still are fair priced!

PAL Dark Chambers was the last game I had to find to get a complete collection, I got Water Ski and Tank Command before it! I would suggest its the rarest PAL release as I spent months looking for it on eBay and no stores had it, not even Telegames. In the end I was really lucky in that I saw one a mint one on eBay in Italy with a BIN of about 20 Euros. I snapped it up straight away but the only problem was that the seller only accepted cash as payment! So I actually had to send her a 20 Euro note but I got it in the end and was pretty happy.

Strange how times change... when I had my collection Dark Chambers was the first game I had and there was tons of it on ebay, I had 3 copies and problems selling them... (same with Desert Falcon what is not very common now, too) I am very angry I missed a 4 EUR Dark Chambers recently (my mobile phone had no network... argh...)

...Also Water Ski was very rare some years ago (I paid >100$ in a regular auction), while now you can get it for around 30 $.

Midnight Mutants has Grampa Munster.

I will keep correcting this until we all stop saying it. It has a Grandpa Munster look-alike, not Grandpa Munster. It is very clear they paid Al Lewis for the rights to use his image. They also dressed that image up as a vampire. However, there is never, anywhere, any indication that he is one of the Munsters. I am assuming Atari didn't get the rights to that, which is why the manual, box, etc only ever refer to him as Grampa, and not as Grandpa Munster.

Also, Grandpa Munster didn't have a human child who then went out and had a normal human kid. However, it is clear that in the game he is "your" Grandfather. In fact, it is made very clear that he is "Grampa" not "Grandpa."

It is actually Al Lewis, playing a Grandfather dressed as a vampire.

I love Midnight Mutants! This game rocks... I am sure Atari didn't buy the name "Grandpa Munster" but the picture of Al Lewis dressed as Grandpa Munster, so anyone would say "hey it's a game about the Munsters". I find this was a clever thing made by Atari (at least one), but not many gamers will ever have seen this cover, so it is pointless anyway :(

This game was definately one of the missing killer-apps for the 7800!

PAL Dark Chambers was the last game I had to find to get a complete collection, I got Water Ski and Tank Command before it! I would suggest its the rarest PAL release as I spent months looking for it on eBay and no stores had it, not even Telegames. In the end I was really lucky in that I saw one a mint one on eBay in Italy with a BIN of about 20 Euros. I snapped it up straight away but the only problem was that the seller only accepted cash as payment! So I actually had to send her a 20 Euro note but I got it in the end and was pretty happy.

Yeah, PAL Dark Chambers IS very hard to find, it was one of the last ones I got as well. The problem occurs because there is rarity difference between PAL and NTSC. For instance Mean 18 is really easy to find on PAL, but quite hard to get on NTSC. There are many examples like that. Alien Brigade, Mario Bros, Planet Smashers to name but another three.

Sending cash to Italy through their postal system is brave. I have lost half my packages to Italy. Brazil is the only worse country and I require all shipments there to be EMS. I just can't seperate Italy from the rest of Europe shipping at this time.

Yeah, PAL Dark Chambers IS very hard to find, it was one of the last ones I got as well. The problem occurs because there is rarity difference between PAL and NTSC. For instance Mean 18 is really easy to find on PAL, but quite hard to get on NTSC. There are many examples like that. Alien Brigade, Mario Bros, Planet Smashers to name but another three.

No, it is not hard to find NOW... fortunately, Telegames UK sells it :) And I don´t believe it is rare (Midnight Mutants IS rare), but people are unwilling to sell, that´s a difference ;)

Hi Guys

I think,7800 games are not so really rare.But it might be difficult to find some CIB.One of the rarest PAL titles seemed to be KUNG FU MASTER in the paper box.It took long time,till i got it.....And if you make differences in manuals,i have lots of different manuals made by SALU or HES.The games have the same box,but different manuals.Sometimes in enlish,sometimes in german and even sometimes in french.So,if you collect everything about the 7800,you will always find something,you do not have.....

greetings Walter

Telegames was selling it when I was actively collecting (I have everything now bar a few PAL variants) but I refused to pay its ludicrous prices. Seems nothing much has changed...

Yes, regarding 7800 titles they have a little high prices, but it is nice to know you could get it there if you need to ;) When you look at their 2600 library, the prices are really decent and some titles sometimes sell much higher in ebay&co.

As I am more a gamer than collector I give nothing for CIB. I need the cart and nothing more... if there's more it is fine, but I don't need that.

Well, even just outside of basic things like type of game, I just noticed a large amount of variance between, well, "actual" rarity and "perceived" rarity when it comes to the 7800. Commando, for instance, while not incredibly common, is no Tank Command, yet commands prices as high as a copy of it.

Midnight Mutants has Grampa Munster.

I will keep correcting this until we all stop saying it. It has a Grandpa Munster look-alike, not Grandpa Munster. ...

It is actually Al Lewis, playing a Grandfather dressed as a vampire.

That part in bold actually makes it quirkier, actually, and therefore more awesome.

"hey, who's that old guy next to you?" *odd look*

"Oh, that's my Grampa"

"...y'know he's dressed like a vampire, right?" *raises eyebrow*

"...yeah...he does that." *shrugs*