IGNORED

CS1er / TAPE994a help

Fishsta

RXB has a feature to convert XB programs to IV254 Format.

Interesting. Unfortunately I would need the exact opposite--something to force the subject program to be saved in "program" format, so that a bin-to-wave conversion will work on it and produce the same image that a "SAVE CS1" from the hardware TI would have.

I've had a couple of suggestions for putting the programs on a "code diet", but I think they are just too big. Certainly the TI Star Trek enhanced with power re-allocation and the occasional cloaked Klingon is never going to fit into its skinny jeans again. It's a pity, because I have reason to believe it would run in the actual iron. (The code is still just under the size of one of the other behemoths, and the variable space required has been drastically reduced.)

Edited by TMA-1

Interesting. Unfortunately I would need the exact opposite--something to force the subject program to be saved in "program" format, so that a bin-to-wave conversion will work on it and produce the same image as "SAVE CS1" from the hardware TI would have.

Maybe use my TIImageTool?

- Import Int/Var 254

- Show listing

- Copy all

- Create new Basic file

- Paste

- Save as Program

Interesting. Unfortunately I would need the exact opposite--something to force the subject program to be saved in "program" format, so that a bin-to-wave conversion will work on it and produce the same image that a "SAVE CS1" from the hardware TI would have.

I've had a couple of suggestions for putting the programs on a "code diet", but I think they are just too big. Certainly the TI Star Trek enhanced with power re-allocation and the occasional cloaked Klingon is never going to fit into its skinny jeans again. It's a pity, because I have reason to believe it would run in the actual iron. (The code is still just under the size of one of the other behemoths, and the variable space required has been drastically reduced.)

I have explained this many times to people. Program Image format is only possible using VDP and the biggests program you can save in Program format is 13K.

Now the other way is convert like EA Program Image format and chain them one after the other.

But that feature is not built into XB and I would know as I have spent more time rewriting XB for RXB since 1983.

Maybe this will of interest to you?

The IO command in RXB for Cassette Control.

IO PAGE I12
-------------------------------------------------------------
CASSETTE INPUT/OUTPUT/VERIFY INSTUCTION
Format CALL IO(type,length,vdp-address[,...])
The three different cassette I/O instructions use the same
format. The write and read instructions physically perform
Input/Output to the cassette. The verify instruction will
read a tape and compare it, byte by byte, against what is in
the specified VDP area. All will report an I/O error if one
is detected. No prompts are present with these three formats.
These three types control the cassette directly so no prompt
will tell the user to turn on or off the cassette record/play
buttons. The programmer must inform the user with own prompt.
Programs
(Presently I have no cassette to write programs with.)
AUDIO GATE
----------
CRU bit 24 is the audio gate which allows data being read to
be heard. If the bit is set to 1, the data being read is
heard, and if the bit is set to 0, the data is not heard.
Setting the bit to a 0 or 1 is done with an IO instruction, or
a Assembly instruction.
MOTOR CONTROL
-------------
There are two CRU bits (22 and 23) used to control cassettes
1 and 2, respectively. When there is no Cassette IO being
done, both motors remain on. When Cassette IO is specified,
the DSR (Device Service Routine) will control the data being
read. If there are two motor units connected, the data will be
read simultaneously, or you may have the option of reading
data from one motor unit and playing the recorded voice from
another motor unit through the TV (Monitor) speaker.
*NOTE:
Compatibility with or without 32K or other devices is not a
concern as IO needs no RAM to work with. Therefore from just
a console all IO commands will work fine. If you only have a
Cassette and RXB you can quickly load/save/verify without
menus, or just make up your own in Extended Basic.
Edited by RXB

Maybe use my TIImageTool?

- Import Int/Var 254

- Show listing

- Copy all

- Create new Basic file

- Paste

- Save as Program

Cool looking utility. I didn't explore it completely, but the "Save as Program" step complained that the program is too big for "program" format, consistent with what RXB is saying.

I have explained this many times to people. Program Image format is only possible using VDP and the biggests program you can save in Program format is 13K.

Now the other way is convert like EA Program Image format and chain them one after the other.

But that feature is not built into XB and I would know as I have spent more time rewriting XB for RXB since 1983.

Okay, I get it that the programs cannot exist in "program" format. I sort of understand the rest of the information, but some of the references are new to me. I certainly can't say I've been chewing on this TI stuff since 1983. Back in those days I was an impoverished ZX81 man, terribly jealous of the TI99's real keyboard, lol.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 5/8/2015 at 2:41 AM, Opry99er said:

Used to have 55 programs available for download from my website... Until my website went byebye...

One day it was Opry99er.com.... mediocre TI-99/4a enthusiast site... the next day it was Opry99er.com, Japanese male enhancement-peddling site extrordinaire.

I'm sure someone downloaded them, but I no longer have that hard drive. Still have the tapes though. :) Maybe when I get all set back up and running, I'll try to transfer a bunch of them again.

... ...

Sadly, all my conversions are on a dead hard drive and a lost website. :(

Except for 1.

http://tigameshelf.net/xb.htm

Download >>HERE<<

A current thread https://atariage.com/forums/topic/311431-best-plain-old-ti-basic-games-wmp3/page/4/

reminded me of this one.

Owen, I found your old website on archive.org here: https://web.archive.org/web/20120703043207/http://www.opry99er.com/

Try other dates from the timeline on the top, your lost tape transfers might still be available.

-Ed

<EDIT> Shoulda kept reading. Looks like you found this back in 2015.    Nevermind - Gilda

Edited by Ed in SoDak
  • Haha 1