IGNORED

ColecoVision games that could be redone better

Pixelboy

I was looking at a list of ColecoVision games on the net during my lunch break, and it got me thinking about CV games that could have been done better on the same hardware. The usual example is Donkey Kong, and Opcode has proven that the ColecoVision can do a much better rendition of the arcade game, with just a little bit more RAM. Eduardo also voiced an interest in redoing Time Pilot, which I agree could be done better, although I don't have a problem with the choppy scrolling, personally.

But there are others that could be redone. Here's my personal list, I'm sure others will find other good candidates for remakes on the same hardware.

1) Buck Rogers - Planet of Zoom : This one is at the top of my list, for obvious reasons. The backgrounds are okay, I guess, but the saucers are so choppy in their movements (with lack of shadows that kills any distance perception) and the hit detection is so abstract, it makes the whole game clunky. I believe the ColecoVision could pull off something vastly superior, although it would probably pose certain technical challenges.

2) Chuck Norris Superkicks : Another example of clunkiness of execution. With more effort invested into its design, this could have been a fun game to play. Instead we got a conversion of the awful Atari 2600 version with slightly upgraded visuals. If I were to redesign that game, I would set the bar much higher.

3) Frogger II - Threeedeep! : This is what happens when you mess with a successful and proven formula. I'm not even sure why I'm including it in my list, since I don't believe this can be fixed or improved upon in any way. If I were to rework a new ColecoVision version, I would probably change so many things that it would have to be called Frogger III. :P

4) Gorf : Missing Galaxian screen. 'Nuff said. :ponder:

5) Quest For Quintana Roo : The thing that frustrates me about this game is that it actually had great potential. More than anything, the crude graphics and the simplistic side view of the action (which were mostly inherited from the Atari 2600 version) are what ruin the gaming experience for me. I strongly believe this game should have been done with an isometric view, similar to Congo Bongo or Crystal Castles, and that's how I would redo this game on the ColecoVision.

6) Sector Alpha : Another example of a game with good potential, but ultimately a failure in its execution. With a little less detail in the backgrounds, enemy crafts and missiles defined as sprites instead of tiles, and a catch-and-lock-on weapon system, this could be a much more exciting game than it is now. Given a choice, I would rather play Sub Roc on the CV...

Comments? :)

I don't feel the need to play an improved version of the same games for the same game system because of something missing compared to the arcade version... beside maybe "Buck Rogers - Planet of Zoom", but I kinda think it's probably my fault to not decode well the way its collision detection works.

The missing stages or cut scenes in ColecoVision games like Gorf and Donkey Kong isn't an issue for me. Of course, if these games are done today with all we can do now, it should be nice to have these stages and cut scenes included. But, I have already these ColecoVision games and I still enjoy playing them today.

I have a question that put my opinion on "redo" in another perspective : What I (as a ColecoVision game programmer) should do about someone who want to redo one of my released ColecoVision games because it can be done better? Should I encourage this person or suggest to do something else new for the game system? Even if it's a kind of tribute, I would prefer to see this person doing something else new.

But if you insist to have a name... Buck Rogers. Well, I say this but, at the same time, I'm not a fan of this game whatever the quality of the port. And considering the "selling" potential, my suggestion is "do a new game or, if you insist to redo a CV game, do something less common than Gorf".

Edited by newcoleco

Mr. Do!

Omega Race

Space Fury

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr.

Zaxxon

Roc `N Rope

Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom

Popeye

Burgertime

Q*Bert

Frogger

Victory

Defender

Centipede

I don't agree with Frogger, although I haven't played it on other systems to compare. Independent of comparison to other systems, and even the arcade version, I thoroughly enjoy playing Frogger on the CV. The music is excellent and catchy while the graphics and gameplay are both very good.

I kinda feel the same about Popeye, Burgertime and Q*Bert. I believe that the CV got one of the best Q*Bert ports of any 8-bit console.

I do agree with Buck Rogers - I just feel that this is an awful game on the CV.

I would rather make new titles instead of re-make original CV games

100% agree!

I think you guys are missing the point... :ponder:

I'm not missing the point.... I understand that some CV games could be alot more great by re-doing them... but....

Why not spend time on making Arcade games that were not made.... like:

- Tac/Scan

- Bosconian

- Donkey Kong 3

- Lock n Chase

- Asteroids

- Missile Command

And so many others! :)

Or... original games?

Just my two cents...

MSX1 had the same GPU as ColecoVISION. When I look at comparable games on both systems, seems obvious that ColecoVISION programmers didn't get a chance to push the hardware very far... yeah I know MSX1 had bigger media too. :)

SCROLLING SPACE SHOOTER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM2EA9D7mQQ

ColecoVISION Cosmic Avenger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwVhDDoK_EE

MSX1 Nemesis 2

MILITARY-THEME ACTION

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luqO3DJYhDw

ColecoVISION Front Line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2yPpoTeEqc

MSX1 Metal Gear

I think all colecovision games can be redone better nowaday.

Yeah, anything that had choppy scrolling or single colored sprites (that aren't supposed to be) especially. That has got to be one of the ugliest aspects to the Colecovision and TI-99/4A (I know, same video chip, but still).

Donkey Kong though wins my vote as a game that could be done much better. This version may have been okay back in the day, but it didn't really hold up well imo. DK on the first level needs to be on the correct side of the screen for starters. Missing girders add to the distorted/squished look of the levels as well.

The Colecovision version of Gorf rots too. Just a trainwreck of a conversion IMO.

DK with all 4 arcade levels. There is no reason the game should have ever been released without all the levels.

Also, correct the first level to have the proper number of beams and DK placed on the left of the screen instead of the right.

Yeah, that's the ticket! Something just like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPbrzezve60

I'm sure that Time Pilot can be done better on the Colecovision. I started working on a version for the TI-99/4A

computer about 2 years ago. It has the same video chip as on the colecovision.

The project stalled because of lack of cartridges with some additional RAM and because(like so often) I got sidetracked with other stuff.

Anyway, you can see that the ship rotates the same as in the arcade version. The bullets are no sprites. They are just plain redefined tile patterns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVNgiQRHZV4

• Like 1

DK with all 4 arcade levels. There is no reason the game should have ever been released without all the levels.

Yes, there are multiple reasons , but no technical ones!

2 main being :

-1 cost of additionnal rom

-2 development time (i guess they had a "christmas deadline..."

Is Metal Gear possible on the CV? Perhaps with the Opgrade Module's added horsepower it can be done? That would be one fun game!

Yes, it is a CV version is possible , and without Opgrade Module.

But speaking about "missing" game for the CV. I really thing that Donkey Kong 3 must be done for the CV (without need of additionnal module). The trilogy would be complete.

1) Buck Rogers - Planet of Zoom : This one is at the top of my list, for obvious reasons. The backgrounds are okay, I guess, but the saucers are so choppy in their movements (with lack of shadows that kills any distance perception)

Oh, they're saucers? I thought they were flying sunny side up eggs?

Didn't the arcade Time Pilot use left-right to control the rotation? That worked much better than the CV version, in my opinion.

No. But if you play Time Pilot arcade you'll find the controls are more "fluid" than on the ColecoVision. I tried using the Roller Controller to see if it would improve the controls but it still sucks.

Why not spend time on making Arcade games that were not made.... like:

- Tac/Scan

- Bosconian

- Lock n Chase

- Asteroids

- Missile Command

Tac/Scan would be a good one if it can be used with a spinner or the roller controller. The stock CV controllers won't cut it.

Bosconian would be a great title as well. I don't know that this game has been ported to any system.

Lock N Chase would be cool but Asteroids and Missile Command have been beaten to death.

- Gyruss

Gyruss could use some visual touch-ups. I think the audio is good and it would be a good game to make use of the Atari driving controller.

Also, correct the first level to have the proper number of beams and DK placed on the left of the screen instead of the right.

I don't think it would be too far fetched to say that DK was on a deadline to get the CV out to market. Also, you're taking an arcade game that was oriented vertically and porting it to a TV screen with horizontal orientation. You could do what Opcode did with Pac-Man and make the playfield vertical with the scoreboard on the side.

Lastly, I want to add Subroc to the list. This is a great game when you use the Roller Controller. Problem is, when you get to about round 5 the game slows down for some reason causing you to get killed. There must be a bug in the original code.

Edited by rmaerz