IGNORED

PROJECT: TI-99 Global Database :) - Project Started -

ti99iuc

From the discussion on the OLUG it seems like I'm also doing a variant of this project, although mine is tied to Classic99.

Still, our goals are slightly different so I think I will continue with mine. Your project is huge and I'll be happy to give (what I hope is) helpful advice when I can! :)

Hi!

There is (was) a nice conversation going on about my project ideas at OLUG:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ti99-4a/message/76300

wow, i lost this nice conversation... but how i can insert a comment or a new thread in this group ? i have a yahoo account but i not understand how insert a new message... ;)

I do think doing this without a CMS in the backend is a failure, because you get so much features by simply using one.

Giving the data structure is what makes the content valuable.

Think of this example: a website offers 100 ti-disks in one single zip package.

No further information, the user only gets disknames, and filenames.

The user has no idea which of the programs he already has in his collection or how to use the ones he may want to try out.

Any user will have to check the 100 disks with probably 1000 programs against his program collection.

I don't know how many people would really like to do this. In the end the zip gets stored on the harddisk and properly never touched again.

The content (here it's more likely data) is of not much value in this form!

How many games have you stopped within 2 minutes because you have no idea how to play them?

Same goes for programs. You probably won't ever touch those programs again.

Of real value is not the donwload itsself but the information about a program.

The opposite to this extreme example is what I have in mind.

[....]

maybe you do not read with attention my last post or i have not be able to explain it in correct mode ;)

i can't use a CMS becouse my site is in other structure and i like all my site as is now.

i will organize my Download section as the same at CMS but the section will be programmes in PHP,Javascript and jQuery...

so we will do the same idea, but you will program your structure in CMS and i will do in other mode ;)... the result will be almost the same ;)

i work a 1 on 1. One only program in one .dsk, i will include the one .dsk in a .zip file containing over the .dsk, also some screenshots and a .txt with instructions.

at the same time however all the information that zip file contain are the same info you have read on the site, the final GUI will be similar to an android Store.

Users without technical knowledge will be able to add content.

i am not completly agree on this... add content on a single program will be done from users but not all...

users can update descriptions or pictures or other but the upload of new material I plan to go through the administrators of the site.

If it were not so there is a risk that it becomes a mess as it is now for whtech.

Perhaps we should talk together via skype, this weekend.

sorry but i not so good to speak in english... i prefer write... i understand more ;)

Having two 'concurrent' systems in development is not a good idea, especially for such a low numbered group of people.

i started this project in august 2009 and i do not feel concurrent to you ;)

i started with my site for myself and for create a my personal material list...

just after i got a lot of request about italian user to complete with other things like the forum section and download section...

now i am working on Computer section too... i think my download section will complete in two or three months...

;)

Edited by ti99userclub

From the discussion on the OLUG it seems like I'm also doing a variant of this project, although mine is tied to Classic99.

Still, our goals are slightly different so I think I will continue with mine. Your project is huge and I'll be happy to give (what I hope is) helpful advice when I can! :)

Hi Tursi, yes i know about your similar project.

as i wrote you some message ago ;) i am creating an italian guide to use your classic99. Classic99 emulator will be the main emulator for the downlodable software from my site.. only win994a will be considered but i will start with classic99 only... i like more, first of all... ;)

just i have problem with some .dsk that in win994a start without errors... i will write in private to have some suggestion from you... can i ? ;)

ThankYou.

Hi Tursi, yes i know about your similar project.

as i wrote you some message ago ;) i am creating an italian guide to use your classic99. Classic99 emulator will be the main emulator for the downlodable software from my site.. only win994a will be considered but i will start with classic99 only... i like more, first of all... ;)

just i have problem with some .dsk that in win994a start without errors... i will write in private to have some suggestion from you... can i ? ;)

ThankYou.

The current release of Classic99, I found a bug with .DSK file support. Some DSK images will fail to read or will read corrupted (I accidentally open the image in text translation mode instead of binary in certain cases ;) ). The new release is coming, but I need more time! :)