IGNORED

Got my "3D" game today

godzillajoe

Atom Smasher

This is a one or two player game. Both players are armed with a gun that can be used to shoot each other or the particles floating around the room. The object is to push the particles out of the room through the opening that scrolls up and down. Shooting them is the way to do that but it also makes them grow making them harder to avoid. Shooting your opponent stuns them for a bit so they may get zapped by a passing particle. You don't want that. I like how you start turning into a skeleton as you accumulate damage. It's a simple game but kind of frantic. I'll be giving this one another run for sure.

Depth Charge

You control a large cross-hair and aim for ships that sail across the horizon. Sinking them gets points. Some are bigger, some are faster, some take multiple hits. But they always come one at a time. You have a limited supply of shots (30,60,90) and then the game ends. Eh. I guess this was planned as a two player game where each player used a seperate Atari and TV and linked them together to play head to head. That would have been cool as hell in 1983. Today, in its crippled form, not so much. It might be fun to try and best your score but I'd rather play Sea Wolf.

S.A.C. Alert

Not a bad little combat simulator. Very minimalist with just a horizon and a skyline but enough to get the job done. Shoot at anything that moves in the sky and go after some ground targets. Apparently you can land to refuel and repair and there are land and sea missions. Haven't seen that yet. Also worth coming back to.

Now..... the "3D" games

Ghost Attack

The goal here is to shoot the ghosts in the haunted house or the graveyard or escaping the ghost portal. Haven't quite figured out the hang of that. The "3D" effects are headache inducing and I never even for a saw anything "3D" just two or everything. Red and Blue. Maybe I'll try again when it gets dark and sit further back.

Genesis

This one's sorta cool. Kinda like Tempest-lite. You control a scorpion on the edge of the screen. Spiders come out from the center and you have to shoot them. If they reach the edge, they knock a piece out of the wall, causing a hole. You can fall through that hole. Also, a flashing "rail snail" patrols the edge and must be avoided. Periodically it flashes and you can grab it for 10 points and the chance to fill in a hole in the wall. Definitely gonna give it another try.

Havoc

Aim crosshairs at some asteroids floating around screen, after destroying a few of those you get taken to a first person view like Nexar and shoot stuff coming out of the middle. After a few shots you are at a HERO screen with some little guys jumping up and down and cheering. You get taken back to the Nexar-like screen but everything is disabled and the game plays itself at this point. Kinda pointless.

In the end, a nice curiosity and maybe with some tweaking of brightness, contrast, tint I may get some of the 3D effect at least to show off to friends. Otherwise, sorta pointless effect. But half the games are interesting enough to revisit. If only there was an option to turn off the 3D or someone could patch the roms if they are ever released.

That's my 5 minutes per game review

If only there was an option to turn off the 3D or someone could patch the roms if they are ever released.

Hacking the ROMs would most likely be possible. But would the games still make sense?

if the 3D effect doesnt work...

I think so. You still have scaling as stuff moves towards you. It seems more a gimmick than a necessity for gameplay.

He's got 50 pairs of glasses? I wonder if can cut the colors out of one, put them in front of a camera, then shoot the video and we can kind of see it in 3D too.

Any chance of YouTubing them?

That would work about as well as watching a 3D movie with one eye shut.

I think the problem with the 3D is that they aren't using the appropriate hue of red and blue, to make it work. Odds are the 2600 can't generate those colors. That's what I can kind of tell from looking at the screen shots with normal red/blue 3D glasses. The other problem is that in most red-blue 3D, the trick is not to use only those two colors. Each image is meant to have one version with all red no blue, and the other no red, or something like that, but still holding other colors. Also, from the screen shots, the red/blue objects I think are too far away from each other.

I think the problem with the 3D is that they aren't using the appropriate hue of red and blue, to make it work. Odds are the 2600 can't generate those colors. That's what I can kind of tell from looking at the screen shots with normal red/blue 3D glasses. The other problem is that in most red-blue 3D, the trick is not to use only those two colors. Each image is meant to have one version with all red no blue, and the other no red, or something like that, but still holding other colors. Also, from the screen shots, the red/blue objects I think are too far away from each other.

Yeah, way too far away for it to work.

That sounds interesting... and sad. I am not really aware of how those 3D issues work, I mean, the really technical boundaries to it, but I think it would be really sad if the 3D is market without working properly. I really would like to hear from those who have played the games...