IGNORED

why playstation why

Or you could get a brand new PS2, they're cheap enough now and backwards compatible, that way it's not a lotto on how long it works. Just a suggestion.

yeah the sony store and walmart both have them new for $100

I question how much longer Sony will make the PS2? They must be making a pretty decent amount from it yet, seeing they aren't making much on software anymore. Wonder if there is chance for another price cut at some point?

I question how much longer Sony will make the PS2? They must be making a pretty decent amount from it yet, seeing they aren't making much on software anymore. Wonder if there is chance for another price cut at some point?

there will probably be a final clearance, but I don't see it dropping again in price.

It's worth noting that for such a new system, there are a lot of broken slim ps2's floating around. It makes me wonder about the quality of the bits they used in those units. There is no shortage of broken fat ps2's as well, but there were more made to start with, they're older, and I'm guessing that they've seen heavier use.

Sony's probably still making them for other foreign markets and just sending us a few as long as they keep selling.

Edited by Reaperman

Or you could get a brand new PS2, they're cheap enough now and backwards compatible, that way it's not a lotto on how long it works. Just a suggestion.

yeah the sony store and walmart both have them new for $100

There's almost no software at retail anymore. You see the same thing with every system (Gameboy Advance, etc) as the selection of titles dwindles down to el-cheapo "me too" games, sports titles with merely an updated roster, and kiddie games. The kiddie games are the longest holdout, but when I was in Walmart the other day, even the kiddies would be disappointed; there was almost nothing....but a few of the absolutely lamest, lowest-budget kiddie titles. On the back of the PS2 (SCPH-90001 model) there's only a few screenshots of games, and it's stuff like Singstar Pop, Legos, and Guitar Hero. If weren't familar with the system, you'd never know of all the bygone gaming greatness this system has in its library.

They can't be selling many anymore. I'm guessing it won't be long now, so I'm probably going to pick up a spare for the future.

Edited by wood_jl

I imagine when the next PS comes out, PS2 will be out the door, and major price cuts on the PS3.

* Knocks on wood for good measure *

I have 3 PS2s right now, 2 in storage for continued play through the next few years. The PS2 slim I'm using now is my first. I've taken good care of it over the years, but it's got a good many hours of play on it. I haven't heard that the slim has any more failures than any other CD based consoles of the generation. In fact, from my experience, as long as you don't abuse the system, it seems pretty robust. But the phat one ... that's a different story, many more failures from what I heard.

2 people in my family with PS2 fat consoles they bought around the year 2000 time frame. Both are still running great.

I've had my original fat PS2 since the summer of 2001 and its still is being a trooper out of what I'd consider heavy use. I know I can't expect it to last forever (it isn't a 2600), but I hope it still has a bit left in the tank. Once Sony does say its through making the PS2, I'll be sure to pick up a new one (if I haven't had to already). I'd be more than happy if my next one logs as many hours as this one did.

Canadian here, I had no idea the PS2 was still selling at retail, haven't seen one in a store here in years.

However, I haven't been actively looking, I'd just assumed they were long gone when the PS3 hit the shelves.

I just took a quick look on Amazon.ca and Walmart.ca and they have nothing except for affiliate sellers. Any other Canadians seen them in retail?

I have some broken ones I really should look into getting fixed (phat & slim), but I'd be very interested if I could get a pristine new one or two for backups.

And I have a question regarding the Slim, I bought one when they first came out (wow, what a great redesign!). And I've bought two since (one for the GF's kids and one for my camper) and they all had the external power supply.

I had heard there was 2nd revision of the Slim that internalized the power supply so there was no power brick on the cord. Can anyone confirm this?

Oh yeah, retail and internet shopping blows in Canada compared to the US. The only good thing about it is we're not as bad as Australia...

• Like 1

And I have a question regarding the Slim, I bought one when they first came out (wow, what a great redesign!). And I've bought two since (one for the GF's kids and one for my camper) and they all had the external power supply.

I had heard there was 2nd revision of the Slim that internalized the power supply so there was no power brick on the cord. Can anyone confirm this?

Sure can, the SCPH-90000 series is slim and features an internal power supply.

Edited by Reaperman

I just took a quick look on Amazon.ca and Walmart.ca and they have nothing except for affiliate sellers. Any other Canadians seen them in retail?

Around here, Wal-Mart and Zellers both have stacks of them new for $99 -- though only the graphite black model. I bought a new-but-open-box PS 2 from Future Shop for $89 about six months ago (as a back-up system); there were several still sealed at $99. The Sony Store may still have a few; I've not checked.

As noted by others, virtually all that is left at retail is sports games, kiddie games, and music games. Surprisingly, many of these titles remain at full-retail ($30+).

I cannot imagine anyone starting a PS 2 collection at this point, but I suppose it is the cheapest (new) system currently on the market.

I cannot imagine anyone starting a PS 2 collection at this point, but I suppose it is the cheapest (new) system currently on the market.

At least not new titles.

Yeah, if you are alright with buying used, now would be a perfect time to start a collection. Lots of the top games can be had for under $10. Those extremely high selling titles can be found at pawns for under $5. Lots of people are dumping off there collections for the newest thing, and great deals are to be found everywhere.

As for buying new titles at a retail store, whats the use? They will be sold dirt cheap in a few short months anyways.

some useful info for the original poster:

http://psxplanetcodes.tripod.com/repair.htm

I have done this to probably ten PS consoles in the last 5 years and had great sucess. I still use a 1002 model as a CD player so it gets heavy use and have another permanently set up for gaming. Doing the fix is better than buying another worn/thrashed unit.

Have a go you have nothing to lose!

I just tossed three ps1's in the trash a few weeks back, didn't know anyone still played them. Got a couple fat PS2's that are dismantled that may go next. I think all of these came out of the trash, except the one I bought in '97. I've had my slim ps2 for four years and its worked flawlessly.

Wow. * strangle strangle! * People still play Atari 2600 and Pong machines. You could probably have gotten a little something for them on eBay "for parts".

I just tossed three ps1's in the trash a few weeks back, didn't know anyone still played them. Got a couple fat PS2's that are dismantled that may go next. I think all of these came out of the trash, except the one I bought in '97. I've had my slim ps2 for four years and its worked flawlessly.

Never throw game consoles away. Even if they don't work, they are good for parts. Someone could have used the video encoder chips in there for a mod, for instance.

Never throw game consoles away. Even if they don't work, they are good for parts. Someone could have used the video encoder chips in there for a mod, for instance.

I sympathize with the guy who's trying to clean up a bunch of crap in his room. But next time I would at least dump them at the salvation army or on the side of the road. I picked up quite an NES collection off the sidewalk once.

Yes, I think PSX are still really easy to find and really cheap. I personally really like the Playstation mini - they are a bit more "expensive", but you can find one between $15-$40 these days.

I wish the PSX emulator on the PS3 wasn't region locked - this way I could easily play all my Japanese games on it. I kind of understand why the PS2 emulator on it is, but why did they have to also lock the PSX one ?... anyway, backward compatibility is altogether gone from the new PS3...