IGNORED

Turbo Grafx 16

ydcl

Yay Turbo Grafx! I love that system so good. I only have a few games for it but man they are great times. I don't have this Bonks Adventure yet, but I shall. I need to hunt more games for it out. I also really want Splatter House for it.

Welcome to the owners club, its great times on a credit card for everyone.

EDIT: Oh, and I can't believe no one has said this yet, but get a Turbo Booster if you can. Mine came with a Turbo Booster Plus on it and its nice to have the AV outs without modding anything.

I went to post some pics of the TG16 with games but I cannot post pics larger than 2mb... :sad:

Updated - I re-sized the pics....

Heh, I saw that exact same TG16 lot on eBay. Never knew it sold. So I guess you're the one who bought it. Pretty good deal IMO, considering how hard it is to find controllers for this console. Good job getting a head start on that!

You planning on getting the CD expansion for it?

You'd be crazy not to, really!

You need Parasol Stars and Cadash, and NINJA SPIRIT!

asap.

The Turbo Grafx-16/PCE is the greatest console ever.

I have been looking on and off for a CD for mine. They are hard to find in working order. I have no problem buying another TG16 just for the CD part as I can have two or gift one. There is normally a lot of money involved in the CD too, and probably more then I would want to spend on it to be honest.

You should sell me yours for $1.

@Arkhan:

No, unfortunately the TG16/PCE isn't the greatest console ever, mostly for one reason. COST. That platform is way too expensive to buy things for. In fact, I'd say it doesn't deserve to be that expensive. Wasn't the PCE and CD really popular over in Japan? So why aren't they more affordable? Simply put, the collectors keeping the prices so high on this stuff are assholes. Comparatively speaking, you'd get more value out of collecting for the Neo-Geo AES. At least it has a reason for being so expensive, what is the PCE's?

The reason why I didn't mention TG16 much in the above is because it didn't sell very well, therefore it at least has a reason for being so overpriced. Again, what is the PCE's? None. That's why I think it's a bad console. Expensive for no good reason. (popularity and quality games don't really count, because the SNES could easily suffer from the same problem the PCE does, but it doesn't)

Well if you have some contacts in Japan, you can probably get old PCE stuff pretty cheap. To get it from US/European sellers you're basically looking for people who have imported and people always want more money for imported goods.

@HatefulGravey - when I first started looking at the Turbografx, it was highly recommended to me to just go and get a TurboDuo because the CD unit was so hard to find. Down the road I might end up just doing that but for now there are plenty of HuCard games I want to try out so I can wait.

@Arkhan:

No, unfortunately the TG16/PCE isn't the greatest console ever, mostly for one reason. COST. That platform is way too expensive to buy things for. In fact, I'd say it doesn't deserve to be that expensive. Wasn't the PCE and CD really popular over in Japan? So why aren't they more affordable? Simply put, the collectors keeping the prices so high on this stuff are assholes. Comparatively speaking, you'd get more value out of collecting for the Neo-Geo AES. At least it has a reason for being so expensive, what is the PCE's?

The reason why I didn't mention TG16 much in the above is because it didn't sell very well, therefore it at least has a reason for being so overpriced. Again, what is the PCE's? None. That's why I think it's a bad console. Expensive for no good reason. (popularity and quality games don't really count, because the SNES could easily suffer from the same problem the PCE does, but it doesn't)

You're talking nonsense!

The problem is you are looking in the wrong places! I mean this seriously! It's a common problem for some reason.

You want good deals on US Turbo Grafx-16 loot, go to pcenginefx.com and poke around. It's obscure to ignorant people, so they jack the price up for no good reason.

US Loot wise:

The TG-16 unit can be found usually with a game or two for around 30-40$. Compared to the other of the time consoles, this is not really that big of a deal.

Most HuCards are relatively cheap as well. There are exceptions to this, but there are exceptions for ANY console. You can get a modest setup, and some good titles pretty cheap. A local shop has a handful of good titles for 5-12$ each.

As for the CD hardware, US wise, the CD unit can be pricey. However, this is because it was the first CD console made, and there weren't a lot of them made.

Sometimes they do not work/break down, but can be fixed pretty simply and cheaply believe it or not... as long as the gears inside aren't trashed. The laser/motor assembly can still be found today. www.pcenginefx.com has repair guides. It's the nature of first-wave hardware. Look at the 1541 for the C64. :)

Anyway once you have the US CD system, system card 3.0 (used for Super CDROM games) is pricey. Sucks. you can however perform a region mod or have one done cheaply to play .JP games... including the .JP system card 3.0 which is like, 8$

Region modded TG-16 + CD unit w/ .JP sys card 3.0 gives you access to EVERY hucard, and EVERY cd-rom^2 and Super CD-ROM game. It would cost around lets see:

40 for system

110 for CD drive + interface unit

20$ for a region mod (or way cheaper if you DIY)

8-15$ for a SysCard 3 from Japan.

OR: Buy a HuCard convertor for japanese cards. its an expensive ripoff and most people selling them are total jackasses.

Anyway, thats not too bad to be able to play everything ever. There are TONS of amazing CD games, and most of them are pretty frigging cheap. <=10$ cheap.

Alternatively, get a US TurboDuo. It has a better cdrom, built in SystemCard 3.0, and can be region modded as well. You usually see them for 130-150$. Sometimes there are sound capacitor issues that are fixable cheaply.

These are the most expensive options for enjoying the NEC console legacy with US hardware. That being said....

Japanese hardware:

You can import the PCE + CD setup (similar to the US version, only white), for around the same prices... or find it stateside by someone whos not a flaming jackass, and isn't going to charge 400$ just because hes a tool. The plus to getting the Japanese hardware from the start is you don't need a region mod, you have access to every game, cheaper SystemCard 3.0, and the CD-ROM units are interchangeable. This is semi expensiveish still. There are a few variants (Core Grafx, etc.)

Or, you can get a JP duo. Same capacitor issue as the US one, but has Japanese hucard playing instead of US ones. Yay. Region mod it to play US if you need to.

Or.. get a Duo-RX... its expensive, sturdy, and has Sys3.0 built in. Its sexy and comes with a 6 button pad that you barely need.

or, the smartest thing ever... Get the Duo-R. Its the same as a Duo-RX minus the color of the console. You can play all JP HuCards, all the CD games (excluding the Arcade CD games.), and you can even RGB mod, or region mod it for US games if you want. Duo-Rs are sturdy, sexy, and cheap. Best purchase ever.

I got a boxed Duo-R for 65$. 50$ to ship it., so 115$ It came with some hucards and CD games also. Thats common on Yahoo.jp

I mentioned Arcade CD games.... there are a few of them, and you need an additional system card called the Arcade Card Pro (or the Duo version that ONLY works in Duo consoles). It's mostly for bragging rights or extreme fans.

The best suggestion, having said all of the above, really is to locate a Duo-R either on forums that aren't full of idiots selling the stuff... or use Japanese auction sites and use a proxy service. I just nabbed a boxed Super Grafx for like 180$ w/ a bunch of games. Because the system was so popular in Japan, the stuffs easy to find there for cheap prices. If you are shipping the console it isn't TOO bad to import. depends how patient you are. Throw it on a boat or use the non EMS options, and it's not too bad.

www.pcenginefx.com (Sorry I keep pimping another forum), is the best place to go if you want fair deals on hardware, and assistance locating games, along with people who can help fix/mod your gear. It's a good place to buy games or trade them around too.

So all in all, the hardware is only expensive if you look on eBay or buy from people who don't know what they are talking about. Same with the games. It's real easy for some goon to mark stuff way up and people who don't know any better either cave and buy it, or complain that the stuffs too expensive, and miss out on the same stuff going for way cheaper in Japan, or on forums.

You can find deals on eBay if you are patient, but your best bet is Japanese auction sites, or forums with smart people. Not saying this place isn't smart (for the most part ;) haha!), it's just not a PCE-centric forum, so I wouldn't expect people to be gung-ho about it.

Once you have set yourself up for maximum OBEY, you will experience quite possibly the best home shooter experience. Lords of Thunder, Gate of Thunder, Tatsujin, Konami shooters......the Soldier series...

RPGs! Action games. It's a gold mine.

The CD games are region free, and it rules. Japanese CD games will work on US hardware, and vice versa. Soooo awesome.

Edited by Arkhan

Stupid importing. Its the reason I don't own an AES yet. Its also the reason I don't have all the good games for the Saturn yet.

@Algus There was a TurboDuo at my local game store, but the manager got it before any customer had the chance to know it was there. See my post about my local game store starting to suck. I'll just have to be happy getting what I can for the systems I can and I'll dig for the strange things when I've got the time and money for it.

Stupid importing. Its the reason I don't own an AES yet. Its also the reason I don't have all the good games for the Saturn yet.

@Algus There was a TurboDuo at my local game store, but the manager got it before any customer had the chance to know it was there. See my post about my local game store starting to suck. I'll just have to be happy getting what I can for the systems I can and I'll dig for the strange things when I've got the time and money for it.

I skipped the AES and went for an MVS cab on CL for 400 money.

importing is the way to get good stuff for sane prices.

I want an MVS cab, but arcade hardware doesn't often come up in my area for sale. I have to travel atleast 4 hours for arcade games, and its hard to get everything together and get to a new cabby in enough time to be the first to get to a good deal 4 hours away. I'll get one sooner or later.

My problem with importing really is the time it can take to get the item, or the cost of shipping in general can be crazy high, and there is always the chance that they hit you with import duties.

I want an MVS cab, but arcade hardware doesn't often come up in my area for sale. I have to travel atleast 4 hours for arcade games, and its hard to get everything together and get to a new cabby in enough time to be the first to get to a good deal 4 hours away. I'll get one sooner or later.

My problem with importing really is the time it can take to get the item, or the cost of shipping in general can be crazy high, and there is always the chance that they hit you with import duties.

Ah theres tons of Arcade stuff that comes up in the Cleveland area. Gots me a MVS and a Tron!

Almost got a defender, but picked tron instead... lots of stuff.

I've never had import taxes from Japan, not once, and I get stuff every month or two. You pay $$$$ and get it fast, or pay less $$ and get it slowish. I usually pay for the EMS, cause I like getting a giant box from Japan in <3 days that smells like tea, and godzilla.

I paid $125ish for the system, all hook ups, Turbo Booster Plus (I don't really know what the differnce in the Turbo Booster and Turbo Booster Plus is) and like 5 or 6 games. I actually haven't gotten anything more for it then I got that day, but then again I have only had the system for like 4 months. I really want to get more, but there is never anything for it in the market.

I paid about $70 for mine. It came with:

System

Exp. port cover

Turbo Tab

official RF cable

official AC Adatper

1 controller

Keith Courage

Victory Run

TV Sports Hockey

I've always just assumed it was a garbage deal...

You got kinda jipped, I mean the system + tap + hookups is like, 40$, Keith Courage should be free, cause its basically worthless (pack in!)...

Victory run is 4.95$ locally, and TV sports hockey is around the same.... I would've sold that for 50$ tops.

Gravy, your setup cost so much because of the Booster Plus. Them things = $$$$$. They are nice.

Yeah, it is really annoying to be honest. The console has an unnecessary bad rep for being expensive/hard to collect for, and I see a lot of people getting hosed.

At the local show I go to every summer and pimp my homebrew, (www.ccagshow.com) I often see Turbo stuff for super retarded prices. Loose systems for >40$ is bad.

I just so happened to bring a lot of my stuff with me to the last one to play during the pre-show since I set up fast (a few screens and a few consoles! no problem). One guy had a duo-r for 400$. He had some games that were "OMG RARE" (Read: common as all hell) priced horribly.

I happened to have THREE copies of the one game with me (China Warrior). I walked over and was like so, I got a 60$ duo-r, and 3 of that game right there that says you should lower your prices. 75$ for a Splatterhouse, loose. Really? *facepalm*

None of it sold when I checked back towards the end of the show. Tard.

They can get away with it a lot though since the system isn't nearly as common as the NES/Genesis/etc. People don't know any better and just assume THERE IT IS, TIME TO GET IT WHILE I CAN!

Realistically, if any game is >20$ you should check it's rarity before you commit. I've seen 20$ china warriors. Mine still has a 8$ price sticker on it. All 3 of them do actually. Importing the PCE one, shipping included is still <20$ usually!

Edited by Arkhan

To be honest, I think I'm just gonna sell my TG-16 stuff. From my perspective, it only keeps getting more and more expensive. Not to mention, the system has been a letdown for me and I'm still sour over that purchase price... I can find much better systems worthy of my vintage dollars.

All I need to do is fix the RF jack and I should be good to go on selling it. I already repaired the 1st controller port on my Turbo Tap. Why does NEC stuff seem overly cheap to me?

My TG16 is nearly perfect in the box. I've upgraded it three times over the years, and have the closest to new with all the flyers and foam. As for the work horse, I've got a duo (my main play machine) that I paid around $60ish for because it was broken (the door sensor was broken off the PCB). I put a glob of solder on it and it thinks the unit is always closed. Then my express in the box. Bit of box wear but nice unit. Would love to eventually get a pac-n10 or pac-n1 for my laseractive.

AX

If you want to sell some things I might bite lol, I actually would like to expand my collection a bit.

Not some, I mean to get rid of it all, which isn't saying much since the only other things I bought for it was Bonk's Adventure and a homebrew AV cable.

You know, this could be for the better anyways. If I decide I wanna give Turbo/PCE another try, I'd just get a Japanese unit and be done with it. No more of this mucking around with overpriced US crap...

If you want to sell some things I might bite lol, I actually would like to expand my collection a bit.

Not some, I mean to get rid of it all, which isn't saying much since the only other things I bought for it was Bonk's Adventure and a homebrew AV cable.

You know, this could be for the better anyways. If I decide I wanna give Turbo/PCE another try, I'd just get a Japanese unit and be done with it. No more of this mucking around with overpriced US crap...

Yeah id def. give the system a full test before you give up. If you like shooters, you really wont find a better experience than the PCE imho.

Yeah you could do saturn imports, but theyre expensive. Same with NeoGeo.

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTM6Mdiz6Ts Tatsujin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2qjItu555I Salamander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugn3dioLoII Parasol Stars. No self respecting Bubble Bobble fan should be without this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2xBtH5iPvE Legendary Axe II. Holy Damn.

Dungeon Explorer

Neutopia (This game demolishes LoZ. Completely)

Son Son II. Badass Platformer!

I could keep going for a very long time. This is just the icing on top the cake. The rest of the HuCard library is the cake itself. The CD library is the glorious cream/fruit/epic filling inside that you get to experience once you've experienced the rest of the cake.

You'd really be missing out!

also, I've got a TON of Turbo stuff. None of its broken, ever. You probably got stuff from someone who was really careless. Its kind of easy to break a DIN if you aren't careful and smash down on the connected cable. Not saying you did that, but whoever had it previously may have.