IGNORED

BASIC Musings

Opry99er

Well, that is certainly an option--- I mentioned that early in the BoCC thread, but it wasn't well received... IMHO, BASIC on cart was the premise--- Tursi wrote a very cool program to do just that... Put a BASIC game into cart format. It's a novel premise--- :) I like keeping it..... BASIC. Ugh, bet you guys didn't see THAT one coming.. :)

Any BASIC game can be compiled using this compiler--- any demo as well. Would be very cool to see the BoCC games all in EA5 format though. :) Walid made a note on tigameshelf that he had to re-write TI Puck for this compiler though.... It was way too fast to play. :)

Edited by Opry99er

I threw something silly together, it really needs to be run with CPU throttling - but I think the concept has some potential.

Very nice!

Unfortunately lines 1300-1380 are too long to paste directly, so I cut them in half and modified the read code to stitch them back together:

1300 DATA "v,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"
1305 DATA ",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,," 
1310 DATA "rtsq,,,,,X,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"
1315 DATA ",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I,,,,,J,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,," 
1320 DATA "rrrrrrrrrrp,v,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"
1325 DATA ",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,H45,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,," 
1330 DATA "rrrrrrrrrrrtrrp,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,FCCCCCCCCG,,,FCCCCCG,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"
1335 DATA ",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,KH13,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,," 
1340 DATA "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hhhhhhhhh3,,,hkhkhkh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"
1345 DATA ",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,H13,,,,,,,,,,,,,X,YZ[X,,," 
1350 DATA "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp,,,,,,,,,,,,,hkhkhkhkh3,,,hjhjhjh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"
1355 DATA ",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,H02,,,,,,,,,,,,,---------" 
1360 DATA "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp,,,,,,,,,,,,hihihihih3,,,hihihih,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"
1365 DATA ",,,,,,,,,,CLLE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(.-----+,,,,,,,,,,,.---------" 
1370 DATA "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsq[,````````hhhhhhhhh3```hhhhhhhX``````,,,,,,,"
1375 DATA ",,,,,,,,ABCCBCD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,()--------*+,,,,,,(*.----------" 
1380 DATA "------------------------------------------------------PPPPPPPPPP"
1385 DATA "PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP-------------888888-------------"
120 FOR I=1 TO 9 :: READ M$(I),B$ :: M$(I)=M$(I) & B$ :: NEXT I 

That's very odd. I tested it after I posted the message and it worked perfect, but now when I do it from a different computer I agree there are problems.

I tried pasting my original code from here to a document, changed it to landscape mode and then posted back to Classic99, and it worked again! Could this be a browser issue?

Anyway... Have attached the disk image instead.

VIEWSCROLL.zip

Well, that is certainly an option--- I mentioned that early in the BoCC thread, but it wasn't well received... IMHO, BASIC on cart was the premise--- Tursi wrote a very cool program to do just that... Put a BASIC game into cart format. It's a novel premise--- :) I like keeping it..... BASIC. Ugh, bet you guys didn't see THAT one coming.. :)

Any BASIC game can be compiled using this compiler--- any demo as well. Would be very cool to see the BoCC games all in EA5 format though. :) Walid made a note on tigameshelf that he had to re-write TI Puck for this compiler though.... It was way too fast to play. :)

Yeah... I suppose if I switched my call sounds from negative to positive, that'd help introduce delays - as well as a simple "gosub" in the game loop. At least for me... That'd work.

Guess I got something to do....

Could you repost? This gives me I/O Error 07.

Wrote this small program as a musing, but the end results seemed to be not so worthwhile.

Still, you might like to see at least what my thought process was. On something a bit faster than TI Basic, it might look something like decent.

Here is a musing I just did with my 8-year-old daughter. We played for a while, and my son got into the action as well. As simple as it seems, it is a good game to teach them estimation. My daughter has a hard time with math, and cutting a number range in half is a little bit of a challenge for her. However, my 7-year-old son seems to naturally come up with the number ranges with ease. I got lucky and guessed in 4 tries. Both kids did it in 6, and I was pretty consistent with 7 guesses using a binary search method.

You can get converted code from TidBit.

RANDOMIZE
start:
   CALL CLEAR
   I=0

// Think of a number
   X = INT(RND * 200) + 1
   PRINT "I'M THINKING OF A NUMBER..."
guess:
   PRINT "GUESS: ";
   INPUT G
   I=I+1

IF G < X THEN PRINT "TOO LOW, TRY AGAIN!" :: GOTO guess
   IF G > X THEN PRINT "TOO HIGH, TRY AGAIN!" :: GOTO guess

PRINT "YOU GUESSED IT!!"
   PRINT "THAT TOOK YOU ";
   PRINT I;
   PRINT " TRIES!"
   PRINT "PLAY AGAIN?"
   INPUT A$

IF A$="Y" OR A$="y" THEN start

PRINT "BYE!"
   END

Thanks for the video, Owen! By the way, it looks like you are not running the latest Classic99. How would I know? Well, when you paste code into the window, it was slow-ish, like it always has been. At some point someone suggested to Tursi that it would be nice if Classic99 would automatically go into over-drive when you paste, then fall back to normal mode. Well, I downloaded Classic99 a few days ago and noticed it was very fast when I pasted code, almost like I was in overdrive. I even went to the menu to make sure I was in normal mode, and I was. Thus, it seems Tursi went ahead and made that little change for us! Very nice modification, thanks Tursi. Anyway, you might want to grab the latest Classic99...

Yay. I missed the update as well.... And "someone" is me!

Thanks for the video, Owen! By the way, it looks like you are not running the latest Classic99. How would I know? Well, when you paste code into the window, it was slow-ish, like it always has been. At some point someone suggested to Tursi that it would be nice if Classic99 would automatically go into over-drive when you paste, then fall back to normal mode. Well, I downloaded Classic99 a few days ago and noticed it was very fast when I pasted code, almost like I was in overdrive. I even went to the menu to make sure I was in normal mode, and I was. Thus, it seems Tursi went ahead and made that little change for us! Very nice modification, thanks Tursi. Anyway, you might want to grab the latest Classic99...

THat's a very nice video. I love the music!

Now... take that pic, run it through 9918 convert, save it to XB format--- and run it on the TI. =)

That's a great graphics program... I have nothing like that (and if I did, I wouldn't have any idea how to use it) =)

Thanks for posting

Took a picture and reduced the depth to 1 bit (2 colors) and the size to 32 pixels (in both directions). Effectively going to make an animation fit in 4 aligned double sized sprites. Made sure the image flipped and mirrored correctly. The image would look like itself if turned 45 degrees. Wanting 4 frames of animation, I rotated the original image (1/4th of 45 degrees) 3 times coming up with this ...

wheels.png

And on it went ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcBD46jlmzs

:cool: