IGNORED

Watch out for eBay seller...

Desfeek

I work graveyard, and one of the very few benefits of my job is to be able to browse eBay when most people are asleep. A lot of the time I am left with nothing, but every once in awhile someone will post something nice that ends at 4:15am, and I have no competition.

This recently happened to me with a mint-in-box Sega CD model 1. The seller had pretty low feedback (89.7% oh no), but they were relatively new and their responses to negative feedback seemed fairly reasonable. I know I messed up a time or two when I first started, so I decided to disregard this warning sign. In fact, other buyers had bought expensive hardware and posted positive feedback, so I felt confident this would work out.

The Sega CD was complete in a nice box, paperwork still sealed, the three pack-in discs with their original sleeve, and the unit pretty much unused. Tested working, but hardly ever played. $100 bid, $300 BIN with $50 shipping. I caught this when it was first posted, and bid almost immediately. I waited out the auction and voila! it was mine for $150 shipped.

I get home with paypal funds ready this morning, and notice the seller has sent me a "Cancel Transaction" request. Reason: item already sold on craigslist. Now, sellers have every right to do this, things happen, but to make a habit out of it seems very sketchy. Especially when the auction sold for it's lowest bid - methinks we will see a repost soon. Sure, I didn't lose any money, but I tied up $150 for a week with which I could have bought whiskey river's Virual Boy (sorry man, I forgot I had bid on this POS).

While I may just be reeling in the loss of a nice item, I feel these are bad selling standards that people should avoid. Its a huge inconvenience, a huge disappointment, and is easy to prevent. Do not post your items for less than you would take for them. Do not post items in multiple places, and if you must, take down or edit your posts the moment after an item sells. Honor, honesty, and open communication go a long way in business. Making a habit of making backdoor deals and unreceived items just creates mistrust throughout the entire community.

Wow, I just realized I am not mad about the Sega CD anymore. Thanks for allowing me to get this off my chest; maybe this should be moved to the blog forum haha

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2806345642381?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=280634564238&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

• Like 1

Well, whenever you or anyone else is ready I have a boxed SCD for sale. I'd been asking around $200 shipped (and throwing in some extra games) so far all I've seen is sticker shock. It's about like that box, not the nicest... but when you consider that they go from $100 - $400, came out for $299.99 back when and are fairly hard to get in the box I think $200 is just about right.

AX

I may take you up on that, although it will have to be a bit because even $150 was pushing it for my budget. $200 is definitely fair, esp. considering the model 1 burn-out rate. Don't wait around for me, if you find a buyer at the right price, go for it. We haven't made any BINDING CONTRACT AGREEMENTS like a closed eBay auction :P

I once bid on a sega model one in its box with a few games. I won it for 20 dollars. I paid and was sent a refund shortly after. I was told that their friend stepped on it and of course now it was no good blatant lie obvisouly. It was more obvious when I asked if they would send it anyhow because I wanted the box and the games. I got more flak, I figured this was also how you could tell if it was a lie. I know how it feels someone on here called it epray I know why now. Sorry to hear but know your not alone with this.

Yes, I saw the negatives and just chalked it up to a first-time user trying different methods of selling (which didn't work out). I try to give people the benefit of the doubt - like I said, the more people behave this way, the less people are inclined to give any leeway for new users. You have to be perfect, immediately, or be labeled as a bad seller. I would prefer our community of game collecting to be easy and fun to get into, not competitive, deceptive and unkind. Unfortunately, this seller now has a proven history of sketchy deals.

As a seller I have had to cancell transactions maybe 2-3 times over the years. Usually it happens when I have the item listed in two seperate places. I always feel bad about it, but it does happen from time to time if you list enough stuff. Not too long ago, I had a Power Glove CIB listed here at AA and at Amazon for like 3 weeks with no bites so I listed it on ebay. Well, it sold on Amazon the night before it ended on ebay. I had to cancell the ebay sale because the Amazon sale was first by a few hours. I actually lost $15-20 on the sale because of it.....sucks, but when things don't sell in one place, I list them on other sites to move them and mix-ups happen. I feel your pain though.

I've also listed items both here and at Amazon at the same time before, and had it both sell here and on Amazon at about the same time. I also go with the one that sold first and cancel the other one. This has only happened once, and it was just really bad luck. It seems that as soon as you double list something, something like this is promised to happen. :P

Sorry, I must have a box! I am no longer actively searching for Sega CD units, AX and I may work something out soon.

I realize I win some, I lose some. Its all part of the business. I was just venting after such an obvious case of seller's remorse. $150 isn't like I was ripping him off, its a good deal but nothing spectacular, esp. considering I'm not interested in it for resale.