IGNORED

Has anyone able to successfully play any gameboy game on Pokemon Stadium?

Topic says it all.

The girlfriend has Pokemon Stadium, with the N64 and we're just curious if you can use the transfer pak and the built in gameboy player to play any game. I do know that we're unable to do so by plugging the game straight into it then turning it on, it just won't let us... just curious if there is a way to do so. ^_^

I don't think the transfer pak has Game Boy hardware built into it, so I think Pokemon Stadium uses an emulator to run pokemon games. If that's the case, then my conjecture is that you would have to write a general purpose emulator that interfaces with the transfer pak, that in turn can be stored on an n64 flash card, and uhh... played. Sounds like a great deal too much effort.

It's just for pokemon games, you can't play other gameboy games through it, however, there were rumored other games taht would support gameplay through the device. Or support. I seem to remember "perfect dark" (may be remembering wrong) was originally supposed to use the gameboy camera to put you "in" the game...yeah, I can see a few obvious reasons that didn't happen though.

Oh, and it's only certain pokemon games. If I recall correctly, the first three (red blue and yellow) could be played on the first Pokemon Stadium game, if you wanted to play Gold Silver or Crystal, you had to have Pokemon Stadium 2....I don't remember if the first three could be played on the second pokemon stadium or not, I don't see why not.

I seem to remember some of the Mario "sports" games could transfer stats between them with the transfer pak. (mario Golf?) But as I don't have the 64 game I 've never tired.

My favorite thing with Pokemon on the transfer pak was the "fast forward" function. God it was actually painful to play that game on the gameboy after playing it on the 64 :lol: Perfect for turn base game play like Pokemon.

Edited by Video

It's just for pokemon games, you can't play other gameboy games through it, however, there were rumored other games taht would support gameplay through the device. Or support. I seem to remember "perfect dark" (may be remembering wrong) was originally supposed to use the gameboy camera to put you "in" the game...yeah, I can see a few obvious reasons that didn't happen though.

Oh, and it's only certain pokemon games. If I recall correctly, the first three (red blue and yellow) could be played on the first Pokemon Stadium game, if you wanted to play Gold Silver or Crystal, you had to have Pokemon Stadium 2....I don't remember if the first three could be played on the second pokemon stadium or not, I don't see why not.

I seem to remember some of the Mario "sports" games could transfer stats between them with the transfer pak. (mario Golf?) But as I don't have the 64 game I 've never tired.

My favorite thing with Pokemon on the transfer pak was the "fast forward" function. God it was actually painful to play that game on the gameboy after playing it on the 64 :lol: Perfect for turn base game play like Pokemon.

I'm not sure about Mario golf, but I know Mario Tennis allowed you to import your character from the story mode on the gameboy game to use on the N64, and even get experience and stuff. I thought it was pretty cool as a kid :)

• 8 years later...

I always thought they were just GB to N64 ports that would be unlocked with the Transfer Pack, since that would've seemed easier to me than coding an emulator. But the YouTube channel My Life in Gaming says it's an emulator and that people are experimenting with varying degrees of success with loading other games.

https://youtu.be/BjtD1mOZlPc?t=27m18s

Maybe something will happen to unlock this fully.

Edited by Atariboy

Yeah, you can transfer your Mario Golf character from the GBC to the 64. Originally Perfect Dark was going to use the camera to transfer faces on characters. The Columbine shootings was a reason they removed it. I can't remember if I read it here or elsewhere, but I thought some of the coding for the feature was still in the game.