IGNORED

Hunt for the 2600

JoeyCipriani

I know that the 2600 was mass produced, and I know it was available for over 20 years (more if you count the Flashback 2), but how come it is almost impossible for me to find one. I have the Flashback 2, but I am unsure if I want to mod it yet. So in the meantime I am looking for a 2600, but can not find one anywhere locally. Is it this hard anywhere else? (fyi, I live by Vancouver, BC)

Sincerely,

Joey

I know that the 2600 was mass produced, and I know it was available for over 20 years (more if you count the Flashback 2), but how come it is almost impossible for me to find one. I have the Flashback 2, but I am unsure if I want to mod it yet. So in the meantime I am looking for a 2600, but can not find one anywhere locally. Is it this hard anywhere else? (fyi, I live by Vancouver, BC)

Sincerely,

Joey

you could always find a decent deal on ebay or Craigslist.

Sincerely,

Joey

you could always find a decent deal on ebay or Craigslist.

How much are you looking to spend? I have a surplus of systems and games I've acquired over the years and would be happy to put package together for you. I'm not local but can easily ship to you. Let me know!

Sincerely,

Joey

I currently have avaliable:

1 - 6 switch 2600

1 - 4 switch "Vader" 2600

2 - 4 switch 2600 woodys in box (opened)

2 - 7800 ProSystems

If you are still looking for a system, PM me. I am in the North Eastern United States, but can easily ship.

-Ben

I don't even care if I find a dead one (I have the Flashback 2, I would just end up modding it than), but even to find a working one that isnt half dead costing more than $60 is impossible. I don't want to spend a ton on it, I mean I have bought in the past 2 months a N64, SNES, NES, Dreamcast, Flashback 2 and Gamecube, all for $5 each... so with that being said, its hard for me to justify spending a ton on the most mass produced system of all time.

I actually dumped all my systems to my friend for like $300. I gave him like 50 systems with controllers, ac adapters and TV switch boxes. I know some of them didn't work, but I didn't care. Didn't have the room. Now I've acquired a few more but haven't tested them. Eventually...

Phil

I don't even care if I find a dead one (I have the Flashback 2, I would just end up modding it than), but even to find a working one that isnt half dead costing more than $60 is impossible. I don't want to spend a ton on it, I mean I have bought in the past 2 months a N64, SNES, NES, Dreamcast, Flashback 2 and Gamecube, all for $5 each... so with that being said, its hard for me to justify spending a ton on the most mass produced system of all time.

Not to rain on the parade, but I get more than $5 for scrapping a 2600. I get $4 each for the modulator and the 3 chips, plus $1-2 each for the switches and still have parts left for other systems. Roughly $30 in just common parts. Of course, I only do that with badly damaged systems.

Not to rain on the parade, but I get more than $5 for scrapping a 2600. I get $4 each for the modulator and the 3 chips, plus $1-2 each for the switches and still have parts left for other systems. Roughly $30 in just common parts. Of course, I only do that with badly damaged systems.

Wow, that's more than I get, but I guess you can't expect any cash when you toss them straight into the trash. :D

In thrift stores and yard sales, I found about a dozen 2600's in 2009 and 2 in 2010. Nothing so far in 2011, so they're becoming less frequent in my area in the past 2 or 3 years.

However I see them on kijiji (like craigslist) frequently but (1) I have no need for more machines and (2) they're usually grossly overpriced. One example recently is a junior with 4 dirt common games for $100

• Like 1

In thrift stores and yard sales, I found about a dozen 2600's in 2009 and 2 in 2010. Nothing so far in 2011, so they're becoming less frequent in my area in the past 2 or 3 years.

However I see them on kijiji (like craigslist) frequently but (1) I have no need for more machines and (2) they're usually grossly overpriced. One example recently is a junior with 4 dirt common games for $100

I have to agree with Atarileaf....the days of dirt cheap 2600's are coming to a close. Here in Ottawa where I live,a clean complete 4 switch woody or vader with 15-20 carts will run you upwards of $100.A 2600 Junior can cost almost as much because the novice retro gamers prefer the small slim size. You can still find deals on ebay,but Canada Post will arse rape you with shipping. My advice would be to run a wanted ad in your local kijiji classifieds , you might be surprised at what comes out of the woodwork. Good Luck!

I used to find them in local thrifts around Dallas, Tx for around $5-$10 each loose a few years ago. I even picked up a boxed 4-switch in 2006 for $8 with all the controller hook-ups and a few games. I must admit haven't seen one in the last couple of years, but have seen lots of other consoles.

I'd look on e-bay or craigslist if you need one quickly.