IGNORED

GRAM DEVICE

RXB

Hello

Working on RXB with a PC99 on a old IBM hooked to my TI994A. Well my PGRAM card had dead banks 1 and 4 but 2 and 3 work. Problem is the PGRAM only saves GRAM to disk from bank 1 only. So I am pretty screwed for testing RXB update.

I have yet to figure out how to get my source code into a GRAM package that can be loaded into ANY EMULATOR AT ALL. None of them support what I am doing, they all expect you to just magically have the GROM file already made.

I use RYTE DATA Assembler to create the RXB Object code then use GPL*LOADER to load the code into a GRAM device on the TI99/4A, but presently with only a broken PGRAM I am at a impasse, anyone have suggestions please?

The PGRAM+ isn't that too terribly complicated - shouldn't take that much to fix it. Just a bunch of 74LS chips as well as some 32Kx8 and 8Kx8 lower power SRAMs that house the GRAM and the DSR.

It would probably really be inexpensive to buy new SRAMs on Mouser or somewhere else and drop them in to see if it fixes the issue. If not, most of the 74LS chips should be easy to find.

The PGRAM+ isn't that too terribly complicated - shouldn't take that much to fix it. Just a bunch of 74LS chips as well as some 32Kx8 and 8Kx8 lower power SRAMs that house the GRAM and the DSR.

It would probably really be inexpensive to buy new SRAMs on Mouser or somewhere else and drop them in to see if it fixes the issue. If not, most of the 74LS chips should be easy to find.

I am a Programmer not a Hardware guy so fixing it is not a option I can do myself. I can see if I can buy the SRAMs and other socketed chips. But as the main problem seems to be that it does not see half the card I assume more than that is bad.

Any idea where I can buy them?

You can send me the cart and I will fix it. I realize there is a trust issue here, but there are some on the list who can vouch for me. It is up to you, but I'm not going to rip you off or keep you stuff. Parts are cheap, and I probably already have all of them. PM me if you want. Your cost would be shipping both ways, parts, plus however much (or nothing at all) you think it was worth to you to have me fix it. A cartridge easily fits in a USPS Priority flat rate box and would be $5 in the U.S., about $12 for Canada and the UK.

You can send me the cart and I will fix it. I realize there is a trust issue here, but there are some on the list who can vouch for me. It is up to you, but I'm not going to rip you off or keep you stuff. Parts are cheap, and I probably already have all of them. PM me if you want. Your cost would be shipping both ways, parts, plus however much (or nothing at all) you think it was worth to you to have me fix it. A cartridge easily fits in a USPS Priority flat rate box and would be $5 in the U.S., about $12 for Canada and the UK.

It is not a cartidge it is a PGRAM card, I have 2 of them. Both will load the DSR but will not boot up no matter even if it is only card in the P-Box.

I have to admit some real anxiety over doing this as I have like 8 cards over the years I have never gotten back and paid money for repairs. People I know right now are most likely on this site. The fact of my deperation is the only reason I consider it.

As it is a P-Box card instead do you think you would still have the parts? Here is the list:

PART NUMBER QUANTITY

74LS367 4

74LS259 4

74LS245 4

74LS244 4

74LS161A 16

74LS139 4

74LS138 4

74LS74 4

74LS32 8

74LS21 4

74LS08 4

74LS00 4

62256LP 8

6264LP 4

The ones Mouser does not have is 62256LP and 6264LP. I have no Idea on how to cross reference these to buy replacements. I just figured if I bought all the chips I would stumble onto the ones that are bad.

(P.S. I do not see a private messages button on site)

Edited by RXB

You can PM by clicking "Messager" in the top of your page... Or simply click on the name of the person you wish to message... It will take you to their profile and there is an option for "send message".

IMO, Matthew is solid as a rock. He has a console exchange program going where he fixes consoles and sends them back out. A Faire attendee and quite reputable. Plus, he's a friend.

You mentioned two cards are acting in the same manner. Out of curiosity, if the cards both have a battery (probably a CR2032 or similar) have you checked the voltage? I have had an occassional RAMdisk with low voltage at the battery side, and that was enough to disrupt the supply circuit in those particular cards. Since you have not used the cards in a while, it's something simple you can check...

Other than that, I believe the PGRAM also has a DSR, similar to a RAMdisk. Have you attempted to reload the DSR (PGSYSTEM IIRC) on one of the two cards?

Tim

Edited by InsaneMultitasker

It is not a cartidge it is a PGRAM card, I have 2 of them. Both will load the DSR but will not boot up no matter even if it is only card in the P-Box.

Ah, ok, well it sounded like a cartridge since it was dealing with GRAM. I guess maybe the "P" stands for PEB...

I have to admit some real anxiety over doing this as I have like 8 cards over the years I have never gotten back and paid money for repairs. People I know right now are most likely on this site. The fact of my deperation is the only reason I consider it.

Well, I don't know what I can do to instill confidence in you, other than take a look around on the forum and see how long I have been participating, check out the websites I have with TI related stuff that have been online for a loooong time, I have an online store, and some sort of a reputation to keep so people will continue to buy stuff from me like the multi-cart boards and the F18A video card when I get it done. I understand about previous bad experiences though, they make you leery for sure. If you have two cards, send me one to fix. Chances are, if they are doing the same thing, then both may have failed in the same way.

As it is a P-Box card instead do you think you would still have the parts? Here is the list:

PART NUMBER QUANTITY

74LS367 4

74LS259 4

74LS245 4

74LS244 4

74LS161A 16

74LS139 4

74LS138 4

74LS74 4

74LS32 8

74LS21 4

74LS08 4

74LS00 4

62256LP 8

6264LP 4

The ones Mouser does not have is 62256LP and 6264LP. I have no Idea on how to cross reference these to buy replacements.

Those last two are static RAM chips. The 62225 is a 32Kx8 and the 6264 is 8Kx8, for a total of 320K or static RAM. That is a LOT of memory for a card from back then, and static RAM to boot, which was *very* expensive. You won't find those at Mouser, and you can't buy those new, so you have to either find "new old-stock", or someone selling "pulls" (removed from some other circuit board.) I can source those, and I can also test them. I also have just about all those other chips on hand and I order from Digikey and Mouser almost weekly.

I just figured if I bought all the chips I would stumble onto the ones that are bad.

I would not do that unless you are set up and practiced at circuit board rework. These old boards are a pain to work on without causing board damage, and you are talking about a *lot* of chips. Unless all the chips are socketed? Can you post some pictures of the board? It is better to troublshoot the board, find the bad part, and replace it. Again, I have the tools to do that, and if I can't fix it, you are no worse off.

Click my username which will bring up my profile, then click the "send message" link from my profile area.

Edited by matthew180

I would not do that unless you are set up and practiced at circuit board rework. These old boards are a pain to work on without causing board damage, and you are talking about a *lot* of chips. Unless all the chips are socketed? Can you post some pictures of the board? It is better to troublshoot the board, find the bad part, and replace it. Again, I have the tools to do that, and if I can't fix it, you are no worse off.

All the ones in mine are socketed. In fact, there were some .3 16 pin "spare slots", I'm guessing for some of the 74LS chips that John Guion might have thought would go bad (and that you would want spares for).

IIRC, make sure the battery is good first, and load the DSR (i.e. "initialize the card"). A picture is here: http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/hardware/peb/pgram.html

Well, having all the chips socketed makes the repair a lot easier, and does offer the option to brute-force the repair by swapping each part in turn until it works. Word of caution, there are a *lot* of variations of 74-series logic chips, so if you are going to attempt the repair yourself, make sure you buy *exactly* the same chip as the original, with all the same letters and numbers. For example, none of these are compatible, even though the numbers of the part number may be the same:

74LS04 74HC04 74HCT04 74LV04

There are more, but I think you get the idea.

Well, having all the chips socketed makes the repair a lot easier, and does offer the option to brute-force the repair by swapping each part in turn until it works. Word of caution, there are a *lot* of variations of 74-series logic chips, so if you are going to attempt the repair yourself, make sure you buy *exactly* the same chip as the original, with all the same letters and numbers. For example, none of these are compatible, even though the numbers of the part number may be the same:

74LS04 74HC04 74HCT04 74LV04

There are more, but I think you get the idea.

use LS HCT, HC is cmos technology no compatible with ttl signal level .

jean louis

Tony: That's very good information to have, thanks for posting! I hope you stick around and continue to participate!

RXB: Looks like you might get them working without having to send them anywhere! Please keep us posted about your progress, this kind of information is very valuable to the community.

You can PM by clicking "Messager" in the top of your page... Or simply click on the name of the person you wish to message... It will take you to their profile and there is an option for "send message".

IMO, Matthew is solid as a rock. He has a console exchange program going where he fixes consoles and sends them back out. A Faire attendee and quite reputable. Plus, he's a friend.

Ok as I have two cards will do that.

Ah, ok, well it sounded like a cartridge since it was dealing with GRAM. I guess maybe the "P" stands for PEB...

Well, I don't know what I can do to instill confidence in you, other than take a look around on the forum and see how long I have been participating, check out the websites I have with TI related stuff that have been online for a loooong time, I have an online store, and some sort of a reputation to keep so people will continue to buy stuff from me like the multi-cart boards and the F18A video card when I get it done. I understand about previous bad experiences though, they make you leery for sure. If you have two cards, send me one to fix. Chances are, if they are doing the same thing, then both may have failed in the same way.

PART NUMBER QUANTITY

74LS367 4

74LS259 4

74LS245 4

74LS244 4

74LS161A 16

74LS139 4

74LS138 4

74LS74 4

74LS32 8

74LS21 4

74LS08 4

74LS00 4

62256LP 8

6264LP 4

The ones Mouser does not have is 62256LP and 6264LP. I have no Idea on how to cross reference these to buy replacements.

Those last two are static RAM chips. The 62225 is a 32Kx8 and the 6264 is 8Kx8, for a total of 320K or static RAM. That is a LOT of memory for a card from back then, and static RAM to boot, which was *very* expensive. You won't find those at Mouser, and you can't buy those new, so you have to either find "new old-stock", or someone selling "pulls" (removed from some other circuit board.) I can source those, and I can also test them. I also have just about all those other chips on hand and I order from Digikey and Mouser almost weekly.

I just figured if I bought all the chips I would stumble onto the ones that are bad.

Click my username which will bring up my profile, then click the "send message" link from my profile area.

Ok sent private message.

Tony: That's very good information to have, thanks for posting! I hope you stick around and continue to participate!

I'll stick around if you join the TI Yahoo Group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TI994A/ ;)

I've thought of a few more items while driving around today and jotted them down. Here goes:

CRU base - The Pgram has a dip switch selectable CRU address. It's normally >1700.

Some people have SCSI Cards or Ramdisks at this address which creates conflicts.

Check that no 2 devices are set to the same CRU address.

The LOAD/SAVE program in the Pgram DSR is probably the best indicator if the device

is functioning correctly, I should have thought of this sooner. Choose to load

page 1, and pick a cart that fills most or all of the Ram and Gram space, such as

any of the Extended Basics. As long as the process completes, the Pgram is functioning

correctly for that page. The same process can be used for pages 2 through 4, although you

want to use a cart with 5 Grams and no Ram. If all 4 pages load with no errors reported

by the loader, the Pgram is functionally ok. If one uses the Memory Editor in the

Pgram to inspect the data, and finds that it doesn't match what was loaded, one can assume

some sort of device conflict, or data bus inconsistency (there's that Flex cable issue!).

If the Pgram is not functioning properly, there will be a lovely honk, and you'll get a

"DATA COMPARE ERROR" message. The error means that the data written did not match the data read.

To try and resolve a "DATA COMPARE ERROR" problem - Remove the card from the PBOX.

Remove the battery and wait 5 minutes to insure all the data is cleared. Now is a

good time to make sure all the chips are properly seated. Place the card on a level surface

and use your thumbs to press down firmly on all the chips. Chips that aren't completely seated

in their sockects will make a short crackling sound as they are seated in their sockets, sort

of like Rice Crispies. After 5 minutes, replace the battery, put the card back in the Pbox,

power up, and reload the DSR and the Geram/Ram pages. All should be well, unless you get a

DATA COMPARE ERROR, then there actually is a hardware problem with the card. :(

Tony

Thanks Tony

These are the results. No CRU conflicts as I took out all cards except for the DSKControler card (Tested with all 4 cards Corcomp, TI, Myarc, and SCSI). For memory tried with AMS 1Meg and 2 TI 32K cards no difference.

I can load the DSR but not GRAM, the memory editor shows all zeros if I use a interrupt switch and go load the memory editor I can see the GRAMs but only banks 2 and 3 can be changed, the banks 1 and 4 stay zeros.

So one PGRAM+ will just hang when I turn on TI with DSR loaded and the other only works with banks 2 and 3 but now both are doing same thing and do not work at all.

The cards I have never had any problem with ever are the RS232(Corcomp and TI), Disk Corcomp, Disk TI, Disk Myarc, SCSI and AMS which seems odd as these should have a worse time with timing from a bad flex card.

By the way the Flex card I am using is a brand new one I picked up that had never been opened, it was a replacement from a guy that bought it but never opened or used.

Obviously I have a hard ware problem that can only be fixed with a hardware fix. One of the other cards that is working fine is most likely causing the problem with the PGRAMs croaking. I suspect it was the Corcomp RS232 card.

Problems started when I had installed that card, before that everything worked fine if memory serves me, the first card to die was my custom built 4Meg Horizon RAMDISK. Yea I was very sad. Thanks for your help Tony.

I'll stick around if you join the TI Yahoo Group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TI994A/ ;)

I've thought of a few more items while driving around today and jotted them down. Here goes:

CRU base - The Pgram has a dip switch selectable CRU address. It's normally >1700.

Some people have SCSI Cards or Ramdisks at this address which creates conflicts.

The LOAD/SAVE program in the Pgram DSR is probably the best indicator if the device

page 1, and pick a cart that fills most or all of the Ram and Gram space, such as

any of the Extended Basics. As long as the process completes, the Pgram is functioning

correctly for that page. The same process can be used for pages 2 through 4, although you

want to use a cart with 5 Grams and no Ram. If all 4 pages load with no errors reported

by the loader, the Pgram is functionally ok. If one uses the Memory Editor in the

Pgram to inspect the data, and finds that it doesn't match what was loaded, one can assume

some sort of device conflict, or data bus inconsistency (there's that Flex cable issue!).

If the Pgram is not functioning properly, there will be a lovely honk, and you'll get a

"DATA COMPARE ERROR" message. The error means that the data written did not match the data read.

To try and resolve a "DATA COMPARE ERROR" problem - Remove the card from the PBOX.

Remove the battery and wait 5 minutes to insure all the data is cleared. Now is a

good time to make sure all the chips are properly seated. Place the card on a level surface

and use your thumbs to press down firmly on all the chips. Chips that aren't completely seated

in their sockects will make a short crackling sound as they are seated in their sockets, sort

of like Rice Crispies. After 5 minutes, replace the battery, put the card back in the Pbox,

power up, and reload the DSR and the Geram/Ram pages. All should be well, unless you get a

Tony

Thanks Tony

These are the results. No CRU conflicts as I took out all cards except for the DSKControler card (Tested with all 4 cards Corcomp, TI, Myarc, and SCSI). For memory tried with AMS 1Meg and 2 TI 32K cards no difference.

I can load the DSR but not GRAM, the memory editor shows all zeros if I use a interrupt switch and go load the memory editor I can see the GRAMs but only banks 2 and 3 can be changed, the banks 1 and 4 stay zeros.

So one PGRAM+ will just hang when I turn on TI with DSR loaded and the other only works with banks 2 and 3 but now both are doing same thing and do not work at all.

The cards I have never had any problem with ever are the RS232(Corcomp and TI), Disk Corcomp, Disk TI, Disk Myarc, SCSI and AMS which seems odd as these should have a worse time with timing from a bad flex card.

By the way the Flex card I am using is a brand new one I picked up that had never been opened, it was a replacement from a guy that bought it but never opened or used.

Obviously I have a hard ware problem that can only be fixed with a hardware fix. One of the other cards that is working fine is most likely causing the problem with the PGRAMs croaking. I suspect it was the Corcomp RS232 card.

Problems started when I had installed that card, before that everything worked fine if memory serves me, the first card to die was my custom built 4Meg Horizon RAMDISK. Yea I was very sad. Thanks for your help.

Tony

Thanks Tony

Problems started when I had installed that card, before that everything worked fine if memory serves me, the first card to die was my custom built 4Meg Horizon RAMDISK. Yea I was very sad. Thanks for your help.

Perhaps a different console? 9901 getting sick maybe....

Tony

Thanks Tony

Perhaps a different console? 9901 getting sick maybe....

Ok just went throug my tons of equipment 5 consoles and other P-Box. Even switched the PGRAM to >1000 CRU and used load interupt and load Idle CPU switches and it comes down to some kind of latch in the PGRAM is hosed it autoboots into Memory Editor

instead of the PGRAM menu to load. And on power up it just locks up with the light on. When I do get to the menu to load the PGRAM GRAMs it loads like it should work but the PGRAM shows all Zeros in the GRAM. Either way I have a hard ware problem.

• 1 month later...

I need to test one of these PGRAM cards and I have *no idea* what to do, what cart to use, etc. Can someone (RBX, Tony, anyone else?) please give me a detailed step-by-step on how to use the PGRAM card, and how do I know when it is working?

Never mind. I found the manual on whtech.

Edited by matthew180

Ok, I guess I still need some steps since the manual makes too many assumptions for my primitive brain. Also, since I'm troubleshooting the boards, I need to know what *should* happen vs. what *is* happening.

This is what I'm doing so far, please let me know if I'm missing some step and if I'm using the card correctly.

Setup: Card in PEB, CRU base >1700 set on DIP switch, XB cart in console.

1. Power on. Press 2 2 to get to XB. Auto load takes over and loads the UTIL1 program.

2. Initialize PGRAM DSR (works fine)

3. Load DSR from DSK1.PGDSR (and PGDSS automatically)

4. Pull XB cart, insert E/A cart.

5. Select 5 to reset.

6. Press 1 1 to get to BASIC.

7. CALL PG - loads PGRAM menu

8. Press 1 to initialize GRAM/RAM (works fine)

9. Press 3 to save E/A GROM (at least I assume this is what I'm doing??) Saves fine.

10. Pull E/A module.

11. Press 2 to Load PGRAM and specify E/A file just written. Loads fine.

12. Press 6 to quit.

At this point I guess I should expect to have the E/A available to me via the PGRAM card? Am I thinking about this correctly? However, when I power on the machine, the master title screen does not appear and the screen just sits on a blank cyan display. If I disable the PGRAM card with the switch, or have a cart installed, the system works as usual.

My question is, did I set up the card correctly? If the blank screen is part of the problem, then fine, I can work on that. But I don't even know if I set the thing up right to begin with...