IGNORED

Kinect sets record as fastest selling consumer electronics device

Bilnick

Before the quotes are dragged out I will go ahead and make a preemptive strike. Get your quote button ready...

I was wrong about the fate of Kinect.

Notice I didn't say I was wrong about the device... just the fate of it. Just because it has sold well doesn't mean I was wrong about the issues I had with the device. Those statements still stand. It is no less a gimmick just because people bought it.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

I expected kinect to debut with a thud and move to be a smash. Well kinect is a resounding success and sony...ummm... doesn't like to release sales figures for anything they put out anymore.

I was wrong about kinect. I still don't have one but I'm getting married in a few months so ill probably finally pick one up.

I have no doubt that lots of these were actually sold to consumers, but one thing you have to watch for when comparing sales numbers (especially a metric like "fastest selling") is that different companies record this in different ways.

Some companies record this in sales to actual consumers... in other words, how many end users actually bought the product. This is more meaningful.

Other companies (Microsoft is one of them known to do this) record in units shipped into the distribution channel. Not as meaningful, especially for "fastest selling" because a company can just stuff the supply chain then claim they "sold" that many in a short period of time.

I don't know how this was recorded, but seeing as how the article doesn't specify, and it's Microsoft, it's very possible it was the latter method.

Either way, I half-expected this to fail too, but it's apparently doing well. I'd like to try it to see what all the fuss is about.

I have no doubt that lots of these were actually sold to consumers, but one thing you have to watch for when comparing sales numbers (especially a metric like "fastest selling") is that different companies record this in different ways.

Some companies record this in sales to actual consumers... in other words, how many end users actually bought the product. This is more meaningful.

Other companies (Microsoft is one of them known to do this) record in units shipped into the distribution channel. Not as meaningful, especially for "fastest selling" because a company can just stuff the supply chain then claim they "sold" that many in a short period of time.

I don't know how this was recorded, but seeing as how the article doesn't specify, and it's Microsoft, it's very possible it was the latter method.

Either way, I half-expected this to fail too, but it's apparently doing well. I'd like to try it to see what all the fuss is about.

Yeah I also find it hard to believe it's really the "fastest selling" just because there weren't huge lines for the thing when it came out. It's still doing a lot better than I ever thought it would though. I'd also like to caution people because I've heard reports that they're being returned to Best Buy left and right and everyone actually hates them.

• Like 1

I like the Kinect. I don't have one, and I have no intention of getting one, but still, I like it.

Why?

Dance Central is one of the best-selling Kinect titles. That keeps my favorite game developer, Harmonix, in business, which means they can continue to support my actual favorite game, Rock Band 3.

I expected kinect to debut with a thud and move to be a smash. Well kinect is a resounding success and sony...ummm... doesn't like to release sales figures for anything they put out anymore.

I was wrong about kinect. I still don't have one but I'm getting married in a few months so ill probably finally pick one up.

If you register somewhere, simply make sure it's somewhere that Kinect is available! There's always a few people that want to get something guy related, but in the end there's nothing on the registry other than towels and pots/pans. You never know.....you may find that you get one! :)

To be a little more clear: I do believe that Kinect will prove out to be successful. To the point that I left my Xbox 360 PM role to move to Kinect just as I left MGS to move to the Xbox project years ago.

Yes, I'm quoting myself :)

It has been a great week (and a great last 4 months) for Kinect.

• Like 2

To be a little more clear: I do believe that Kinect will prove out to be successful. To the point that I left my Xbox 360 PM role to move to Kinect just as I left MGS to move to the Xbox project years ago.

Yes, I'm quoting myself icon_smile.gif

It has been a great week (and a great last 4 months) for Kinect.

I just +1 you on that because A) it's always nice to see a community member enjoying success, and B) Kinect has been a wonderful instrument for me, allowing my 5 year old (almost 6! :) )and me to share a lot of fun moments together. I know it's not the kind of fare that community members here are likely to appreciate, but I can't wait until Once Upon a Monster comes out. We will be having a lot of storybook adventures in my house once it does.

Now if I could just beat her more often at bowling!

If you register somewhere, simply make sure it's somewhere that Kinect is available! There's always a few people that want to get something guy related, but in the end there's nothing on the registry other than towels and pots/pans. You never know.....you may find that you get one! :)

We registered at target lol, that's a pretty good general item place to register. If I don't get one I just might buy it with any cash I get.

While I am sure that it has initially sold well, the kinect success will be short lived. Unless there is strong software support this overpriced accessory is going to be just a footnote in game history. In recent years, I feel that some of info released in world record books has been more to promote products than to showcase records. There is so many ways someone could interpret the information.

Self admittingly, I am an Xbox Kinect Hater. I played one at PAX and thought it was crap. This product will obviously sell well for the time being, but mark my words the clearance bins will be full of this stuff without good software to back it up.

• Like 1