IGNORED

Worst games you've ever played?

Pong

Though Karateka sucks, and I'm sure we are all in agreement on that one, I totally disagreement with you on 7800 Galaga. That's an awesome port! The fast action is addicting, the controls are smooth (at least in emulation) and the mechanics work.
I know, I know - different strokes for different folks. That's half the fun of this thread. But for what it's worth, I like 7800 Galaga a lot as well. The difficulty ramp up is more forgiving than the arcade, and it looks and plays fine to me. One of my favorites on the system. Karateka - yeah, that sucks. ;)

though I have never played them, I am waiting for Zelda CDi to show up...

I have all the Nintendo CDi games and they are not anywhere near as bad as people make out.

The controller is the only problem I have with the CD-i. The games are pretty good, but not even close to Zelda 2. Which I haven't beat.

I have all the Nintendo CDi games and they are not anywhere near as bad as people make out.

The controller is the only problem I have with the CD-i. The games are pretty good, but not even close to Zelda 2. Which I haven't beat.

Depends which controller you are using. The standard one is a joke but the 2 different gamepads are quite nice.

@Pong: The trick in Zelda 2 is leveling up early in the death mountain complex. Having a guide for the palaces helps too.

Heck.. I level up early in the 1st castle. :P By the time I put the gem in at the end, it's giving me a couple thousand points for level 4-5 attack. :cool:

• Like 1

Worst games ever actually are from British software houses on C64:

Nemesis the Warlock from Martech...what the heck???

Bladerunner from CRL

Ninja Hamster yep CRL again

Eureka from Domark

A View to a kill Domark

Highlander, Hudson Hawk, Hook, V, Miami Vice all Ocean, but the had plenty more duffs, especially the 'based on TV/Film' stuff.

Edited by high voltage

Depends which controller you are using. The standard one is a joke but the 2 different gamepads are quite nice.

I use a gamepad. It's just a bit slow to respond.

@Pong: The trick in Zelda 2 is leveling up early in the death mountain complex. Having a guide for the palaces helps too.

I need a map. I'm really bad at Zelda games.

How did this get quoted twice?

The logical fallacy here is grouping Zelda 2 with "Zelda games", when it it pretty far from them and stands alone in the series as far as gameplay goes. :P

Aside from the overworld, you can get a map for the dungoens.. but they would look like maps of Montezuma's Revenge/Super Mario Bros.

Edited by NE146

The logical fallacy here is grouping Zelda 2 with "Zelda games", when it it pretty far from them and stands alone in the series as far as gameplay goes. :P

Aside from the overworld, you can get a map for the dungoens.. but they would look like maps of Montezuma's Revenge/Super Mario Bros.

I have my own way of classifying Zelda games, and Zelda 2 + CDi fit quite nicely in it.

7800: Galaga (out of what I have, only played Karateka via emulation)

I had a 7800 back in the day, and I never played this game until quite recently. It's staggering how bad it is, considering that "arcade ports" are just about the only redeeming quality of that system.

Though Karateka sucks, and I'm sure we are all in agreement on that one, I totally disagreement with you on 7800 Galaga. That's an awesome port! The fast action is addicting, the controls are smooth (at least in emulation) and the mechanics work.

7800 arcade ports do tend to be a lot more difficult then their NES counterparts (Ms. Pac-Man comes to mind) but the gameplay is awesome and they are beautifully rendered.

I have all of GCC home ports for 7800. I generally love GCC's ports, but I'm not fond of Galaga. I also disagree with the overgeneralized sentiment about the difficulty of the ports on NES vs. 7800 (it varies by game). I have various ports for NES and Famicom as well (including Dig Dug and Mappy).

It has nothing to do with the difficulty (and it could be argued that the NES Galaga is more difficult the the 7800). The enemy patterns are completely off compared to the original and it's less fun to play. Also, fast action? From what I remember enemies take longer to come out of formation and later levels suffer from slowdown in the 7800 version.

Which Ms. Pac-Man are you talking about for NES? The Tengen one has multiple difficulty levels and can get quite insane.

Edited by BrianC

Zelda 2 is the only Zelda game I have enjoyed playing, and I have owned all of them.

I can't remember the worst game I have ever played, but it might be Spiderman on PS2 or Devil May Cry. I'm not being silly, their constant switching camera angles without switching the controls really ruined the action for me. Also, Devil May Cry switching from an energy bar damage model to instant deaths for the sake of cinematics ruined the entire game for me.

Older school gaming is a bit different. I hated games like Pitfall on 2600, Rush'n Attack on NES, X-Men 1, Chakan and Incredible Hulk on Genesis, the Super Starwars games on SNES and a large number of other games for the same reason. Cheap shots and far too little gameplay complexity to compensate for it.

Also, fast action? From what I remember enemies take longer to come out of formation and later levels suffer from slowdown in the 7800 version.

If you start the game on normal mode, it is slower. However, once reaching stage 10, the speed jumps up big time, possibly faster than other versions at that same point in the game. If you select hard mode, it starts at this speed by default.

The 7800 version also suffers from some bad frame-skipping when it speeds up and more objects are on screen. It's not slowdown, per-se, as the game's overall speed is still the same (things will just come down the screen in a much choppier manner).