IGNORED

Question about the 800xl

• 2 weeks later...

I read some where that the 800xl is not compatable with some 400/800 titles and that the peripherals dont work either is this true??? :?

It´s new to me that peripherials don´t work. There might be only some which are incompatible because they need more than 2 Joystick-Ports, like the Eprommer I have. That one of course only works with the 400 and 800, because they have 4 Joyports.

SIO-Devices should be fully compatible, but you might miss the PBI.

The 1200XL is missing the 12v output on the SIO, so I suppose there are some SIO devices that won't work on the 1200XL, but I can't think of any.

The 400/800 are the only ones with +12V on the SIO port. The entire XL/XE computer line lack +12V on the SIO, not just the 1200XL. This can be fixed on the 1200XL fairly easily with a 7812 regulator and some wires, but would require more work on the others as only regulated +5VDC is available. It's easier to use an external power supply with such devices when used with the XL/XE series.

The issue with the 1200XL was it had a 100 ohm current limiting resistor, R63, on the +5V SIO pin which also prevented +5V devices from being powered by it. To my knowledge it is the only Atari 8-bit with such a resistor, some 1200XLs didn't even have R63 installed which caused additional problems with some peripherals. The solution is to replace R63 with a jumper.

• Like 1

The 1200XL is missing the 12v output on the SIO, so I suppose there are some SIO devices that won't work on the 1200XL, but I can't think of any.

The 400/800 are the only ones with +12V on the SIO port. The entire XL/XE computer line lack +12V on the SIO, not just the 1200XL. This can be fixed on the 1200XL fairly easily with a 7812 regulator and some wires, but would require more work on the others as only regulated +5VDC is available. It's easier to use an external power supply with such devices when used with the XL/XE series.

The issue with the 1200XL was it had a 100 ohm current limiting resistor, R63, on the +5V SIO pin which also prevented +5V devices from being powered by it. To my knowledge it is the only Atari 8-bit with such a resistor, some 1200XLs didn't even have R63 installed which caused additional problems with some peripherals. The solution is to replace R63 with a jumper.

need more then that... the AC voltage coming into the 1200XL is only 9v... a voltage doubler, and then through a 7812 would work... but then it would be the same on the XLXE...

sloopy.