IGNORED

Verdict on PS1 GTA Series

I recently got a PS1 from stjames88. Among the games that I received was the GTA Collection containing GTA, London, and GTA 2. The only prior experience that I've had with top-down GTA games was Chinatown Wars on both the PSP and DS, and I thought that both versions were supurb. I played GTA 2 for about a half hour last night. Personally, I think that the controls while walking are very awkward, and I haven't gotten the hang of it. I hope that I do over time. The driving is sweet and there is a good representation of speed. Missions are fun too... I just hope that I can get the hang of the wierd controls. In all of the modern GTAs that I've played, including Chinatown Wars, the controls were intuitive and fluid. Anyway what do you guys think about these earlier releases?

The first GTA game I got into was IV on the 360. That's an awesome game.

Ignorance is bliss and this is proof. That was by far the worst of the GTA games to me. That is largely because the dating sim, making friends, cell phone crap started taking over completely at this point in GTA history. Go back and play the last 3 GTA games for the PS2, you will not be disappointed at all. They are great!

The top down PS1 games were something different entirely. I enjoyed them and still do, but you can't every think of them as the same game as the new stuff. Then GTA 3 came out I was wowed and I have that same wow effect every time I go back to the first games. A huge jump forward to 3D that made these games playable in the long term. The 2D top down games were good for short burst of play and almost fit the mini game thought process for me. The 3D games are basically action RPGs.

Different kind of game entirely, but worth mentioning when talking about playable and innovative PS1 titles.

I haven't at all cared for any of the 'modern' GTA games, but the early ones (though ugly) had kind of a nice arcade feel to them. Rampages there were like highscore events, and the game kept track of each of your offences.

I especially disliked GTA III,IV and the 'Stories' games on psp/ps2.

Edited by Reaperman

I believe the top-down titles were made by a different company entirely, DMA, which was obsorbed by Rockstar or something like that. So the newer games were quite different indeed. I look at the change as being somewhat similar to the change in Castlevania as a result of SotN, after a certain point (GTA 3) the series was just totally different.

@Hateful Gravy: You can't deny that there is fun to be had in GTA IV. Yes, the friend system is aggravating, but you can snipe people out and bang hookers all the same...

@Reaperman: Stories sucked, the PSP isn't suited for that kind of game at all. But what did you think of Chinatown Wars?

Edited by toptenmaterial

I think it all depends on which one you started on. I like GTA IV a lot, second to San Andreas, but it was also the first one I played. I do admit that the cell phone calls got out of hand, but I always liked the story, setting, etc. GTA III on the other hand... Maybe it's because I didn't play it back in the day, but I was not impressed. It's nearly impossible for me to play it nowadays. Same with Vice City :(. As for the 2D ones, I've only played GTA2 and Chinatown Wars, but those are great games. I've never played the first one, unfortunately, but I know that Rockstar used to have free download links for them a while back.

• Like 1

Played GTA on the PC..moved to GTA on the PS1 then onto the PS2...and then the PS3

The is a huge leap from PC to PS1...I preferred the PC...then there were the PS1 games...only way to beat them is by obtaining a certain HIGH SCORE! Best way to do this is by finding the Tanks....Take your time and find a TANK! You will not regret it!

Now moving to the PS2? I missed the tanks and London....Driving down the wronf way on the road made it alot of fun, but the PS2 brought some better graphics and awesome game play!

San Andreas made the hugest leap into content and a larger city....then the PS3 made it happen even better!

I for one like the future of GTA...GTA V is supposed to come out this Christmas and I for one can't wait!

I played the 2d GTA games AFTER the 3d ones. Vice City is probably my favorite game of all time but I agree with the other poster that the 2d games have a nice arcadey feel to them so I see the appeal. Fun can be found in both game types, and I'm sure Chinatown Wars improves on the PS1 games even further. Look forward to getting an opportunity to trying those out.

• Like 1

Now am I missing something, or do the early ones not have a save option?

You can save...but it's difficult. In the first GTA, progress is saved only between storyline sections. This was made just a little easier in GTA2...entering a "Jesus Saves"-painted church with $50 grand.

Topic:

The initial GTA games were fantastic in their time...but hard as hell. If you are a fan of the series, you gotta prove your meddle ;)

• Like 1

Even when the first GTA came out, I thought it was hideous. Fun enough, if nothing spectacular, but hideous. In my then-12-year-old mind, it looked like an aborted 32X game or something.

GTA 2 was pretty good, though. Had a lot fun with that one. Lots of cool weapons and vehicles...it was great standing on bridges and overpasses trying to peg passing cars below with molotov cocktails. :D I think there was a tazer or lightning gun of some kind also that was really fun, too.

:)

• Like 1

@Reaperman: Stories sucked, the PSP isn't suited for that kind of game at all. But what did you think of Chinatown Wars?

If you think they sucked on PSP, you certainly shouldn't try the ps2 versions, which were worse.

I did not like chinatown wars. It's control scheme and progression were more in line with the modern games, and it lacked the arcade-ish scorekeeping that I most enjoy. It's camera angle was somewhat reminiscent of older games, but that's where the similarity ended.

As for handheld gta-like games that I have enjoyed recently, 'Payback' comes to mind. The GBA version is a real marvel.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I had the original back in the day on the PC and, like others have said, it was mindless fun. I just picked a copy up for the PS1 over the weekend and am looking forward to giving that a try. As far the first ones vs the moderns ones, they are really different types of games. If I am looking a quick fun fix and the ability to run some people over while I'm at it I will reach for the early ones. If I want something with a little more drawn out game play and deeper story I will reach for the more modern ones.

• Like 2

GTA2 was great fun. That was my favorite of the PS1 titles. I still play it on my PS2 every once in awhile. The dialogue on the radio was hilarious. Vice City is still my favorite GTA game though. I'm a child of the '80s (Miami Vice was in my top 10 tv shows) so what can I say?