IGNORED

TI99DIR broken?

RXB

Did I find something to break again?

My WINDYXB was my first software ever and was reviewed in Micropendium a few times. But TI99DIR just chokes on it.

P.S. I have over 50 disks and some of them no one has ever seen as they were sent to me by the Author to be reviewed or test.

MyZipFile1.zip

Edited by RXB

TI99Dir seems to read them okay here, except that it marks some files as "unknown".

TI99Dir is very particular about files, anything out of the ordinary can cause it to reject them. I mounted these disks in Classic99 and also checked with a sector editor - the files that TI99Dir does not like have non-printable characters in their filename. For instance, MENU on WindyXB.dsk has a character >1E at the end of the filename.

If this is deliberate, and it looks like it may be, as I can find that entire string elsewhere on the disk (where it's referenced), then the disk should work fine under emulation. However, the extra characters on those files is illegal in FIAD files (not sure if it'll even work in V9T9 format, definately won't work for regular files), so to port the program off the DSK image and still have it work will require renaming those files and all references to them. Might be able to do that with a sector editor reasonably quickly, just replace the illegal character with a legal one, like a number or underscore.

TI99Dir seems to read them okay here, except that it marks some files as "unknown".

TI99Dir is very particular about files, anything out of the ordinary can cause it to reject them. I mounted these disks in Classic99 and also checked with a sector editor - the files that TI99Dir does not like have non-printable characters in their filename. For instance, MENU on WindyXB.dsk has a character >1E at the end of the filename.

If this is deliberate, and it looks like it may be, as I can find that entire string elsewhere on the disk (where it's referenced), then the disk should work fine under emulation. However, the extra characters on those files is illegal in FIAD files (not sure if it'll even work in V9T9 format, definately won't work for regular files), so to port the program off the DSK image and still have it work will require renaming those files and all references to them. Might be able to do that with a sector editor reasonably quickly, just replace the illegal character with a legal one, like a number or underscore.

Yea I was new to Assembly and wanted that character so you would not accidently try to load it as no way to type it in, and any Cataloger will not load it as (at the time) >1E was a illegal character so would refuse to load it. Came back to bite me in rear end.

No problem as the program to create them is on the same disk. So I can use run the programs and make the image files over again. Thanks.

Yep... everything non-standard eventually will bite you, given enough time! No worries, though, even if you didn't have the tools, we could have patched this in a hex editor in about 2 minutes. (And "hex editor" is what I meant above, not "sector editor". Too much TI time lately, my brain is back in the 80s :) )