IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - new IDE host adapter

drac030

yeah i would personally go with the CF over the SD, as CF is directly able to EMU a IDE device, and there is no 'conversion' so potential for problems is less... i like that adaptor at $V cause it would connect right in and attach and not slop about like a normal CF adaptor. and since i dont plan on removing the CF cards once I install them, i dont see the real need to have a SD card over CF, even though i have a bunch of SD for various things...

and to the usual gang of idiots, yeah i will let you know, for a group buy...

sloopy.

Myself tested the following:

http://www.vesalia.d...de25cfx2hdd.htm

Works without any problems. CF Card I used was Transcend 2GB (80X) and Transcend 4GB (133x).

Man that is nice, wonder what board is inside it tho?

Sloopy if you decide to bite let me know and I might go in on the order with you.

There's not much in CF to IDE boards. CF as a standard was designed to be compatible with IDE. You only need a passive adapter to make the pins work. For those in the US monoprice.com has cheap CF to IDE adapters I've had success with in PCs. (I don't have an IDE solution for Atari yet, so haven't been able to try).

--Kurt

Then ebay is your treasure trove, I've purchased multiple IDE/CF units for about $4 a pop.

Me too, but none which looked as nice as the Vesalia ones.

Well you want looks? or you want cheap? you can't have both :D

I mean how much does it cost to make a SIO2SD look pretty ;-)

Myself tested the following:

http://www.vesalia.d...de25cfx2hdd.htm

Works without any problems. CF Card I used was Transcend 2GB (80X) and Transcend 4GB (133x).

Man that is nice, wonder what board is inside it tho?

Sloopy if you decide to bite let me know and I might go in on the order with you.

There's not much in CF to IDE boards. CF as a standard was designed to be compatible with IDE. You only need a passive adapter to make the pins work. For those in the US monoprice.com has cheap CF to IDE adapters I've had success with in PCs. (I don't have an IDE solution for Atari yet, so haven't been able to try).

--Kurt

ground pin 9 on the CF, and it acts like an IDE device... pretty simple...

sloopy.

You should put it into a translucent case!

Then print a picture of a PCB to cover the back side of the translucent case :)

Makes me think of those cheap chinese watches where all the nice functions and dials are printed on the watch face - classic retro action!

Looks awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't suppose there is a way to have two PBI devices plugged in at once. I can't use my 320XL memory upgrade... I have to wait for my Ulitimate 1MB card to arrive ....

waiting... waiting... wainting...

the 320XL isnt a true PBI device, it is a ram expansion that connects to the PBI connector... if you can get both connected, it 'might' work, but dont use my XL as a test rat ;')

sloopy.

Thanks Simius, got my board today! Very very professionally done, and the packaging was awesome. It looks better than the one below because this one is mine ;). Now to get my 130XE out and start the process of hooking things up and taking the IDE+2 for a spin around the block. I appreciate the many in this thread who have already received their boards who have shared their information with setup tips and the like, as it will surely assist me to get things running right.

The Dawg

ide20.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

4) contains 96 KB ISP Flash ROM and 32 KB RAM available to the internal PBI BIOS and flashable from the Atari

5) contains 512 KB or 1024 KB ISP Flash ROM for SpartaDOS X (or any other cartridge of such type), flashable from the Atari. This ROM can be physically disabled using a dedicated switch. The switch is not installed in the device shown on photos below.

I've been playing a bit with the IDE+ 2 and it is great.

I've a small question about the on-board flash memory. There are three chips of 512KB on the board. According to the description, 1024 KB is for SDX although only 512KB is used at the moment.

So that leaves 512KB for the BIOS but according to point 4, that is only 96KB. So is the remaining memory also available to the BIOS or will it have other uses?

Since SDX uses only 512KB at the moment, are there plans to uses the other 512KB for some kind of ROM disk to store utilities like FDISK. Then drives could be setup without loading FDISK from another source. Or will FDISK become part of the BIOS so it will be accessible at startup while holding <START>?

Robert