IGNORED

Gamegavel.com for selling?

SRGilbert

Pm received and countered :)

Seems to be a ton of second guessing the user on Game Gavel. The annoyances add up to just not bothering.

AX

Annoyances? Just helping people out when they ask? Seriously GameGavel is every bit as easy to use as Ebay. You about need a road map to figure out anything there anymore. Once people list a couple things on GG they are good to go. Fast and easy. And there is no guessing what fees you will be paying month to month. And everything I do with GG is and has always been about building something better for all us gamers. Ebay doesn't care about you guys at all.

Attitudes like Ax's are why others don't attempt to go out and do something good for the gaming community, if you ask me. How anyone could be so negative about something that is being done for the good of the community puzzles me?? Oh well, can't please everyone.

And on top of it all Ax was given a free seller account by me and sold almost $700 nearly selling all that he had listed and built up 61 positive feedbacks then quit using it cold turkey. So it did nothing but help him out while he was using it. He just quit using it when the named changed from ChaseTheChuckwagon to GameGavel. Seems a bit nearsighted to me.

My attitude is one of hopeful desire that the site could simply be better. The assumptions and posts like this don't help that already flickering desire to use the site. It could improve, but hasn't... it has to say something that someone with a free account doesn't feel like using it.

When I make suggestions they are flat out ignored. So I'm getting bitter about it, sure.

Do you care?

AX

When have I ignored your suggestions? The site has improved ten fold since I launched it. Many peoples suggestions have been taken into consideration to get it this far. There are always going to be improvements needed and made as time goes by. When you were using the site, you didn't have many complaints. They just started out of the blue. You figured it out easily enough when you first used it.

The biggest complaint I get is the search function and we are finishing that fix up. It has taken a long time, agreed, but it will get done. I don't get many complaints at all now, by anyone using the site, just an occasional issue here and there and we deal with it. Give me a list of the issues and what you want to see improved right here and I will take a look.

PM

Hmmm...well, now see, this is why I was leary about bringing this topic up. :ponder:

It was a great topic and fair question. We have lots of sellers, but not as many from here as some may think. I think Ax and I are cool. He has been with us since the beginning and I sure as hell respect his opinion and hope I conveyed that to him privately :)

We have some big things up our sleaves that could make GG a household name to every gamer in the world sometime in 2011. And we are working with a big softare publisher to offer some exclusive, licensed clothing taken right from a popular modern day game series that they will be promoting to their millions of players. I am talking with them next week. This licensed merchandise info will be picked up by all the big blog sites and promoted by the publisher too, should bring in a few hundred thousand new eyes to the site within 30 days. We are working with a pretty hot clothes designer in So Cal to recreate some cool clothes from the game and will be the exclusive seller of this merchandise.

Like I've said before it is our goal to create the biggest dedicated gaming marketplace on line for both retro and modern day gamers. Something that all of you will eventually want to put 100% of your faith in and be apart of it :)

And we are launching a new site that will join RetroGamingRoundup.com and RetroArcadeRadio.com as part of the GameGavel network. GamersSpots.com is under development and will be a resource for locating local small chain game stores, ranking them, commenting on them and getting directions to them based on your IP address or location. Arcades will be included to so you can find arcades in a particular area, see what games/pinball they have, etc. It will tie into Google maps. It's going to be slick and should be available in the coming weeks. We hope that this will get us on page one of search engine searches for "video game stores" and "used video games" which get thousands of monthly searches across Google, Yahoo and Bing. This of course will tie with GameGavel and visa versa.

Edited by Parrothead

a pretty hot clothes designer in So Cal

Whoa! Too much information!! Seriously, all that sounds great. The GamerSpots idea is sorely needed; however some have tried it and never got the input necessary to make the site useful (i.e. - not enough people submitted the data on arcades, etc). I think you have enough presence in the various communities to actually get something like this to a usable state. I will be glad to bite the bullet and do research for you on that one!! "Sorry honey, I can't fix the dishwasher; I'm going out to do some research"

I too wish Gamegavel to succeed. I was expressing my frustrations in hopes that you would take a look at some of the things that might turn people off from using your sight. The interface for listing products needs help. I don't think your attitude of "Use it a few times and you'll get the hang of it" is a good one. Many people will use it once and never come back. I am learning of options that I never knew existed. They should be obvious. They are not. A "relist all" button should be obvious. A 20 day listing option should be obvious. I do suggest that you expand your 20 day listings to 30 days. Once a month for relisting would be really, really nice in my opinion.

I too wish Gamegavel to succeed. I was expressing my frustrations in hopes that you would take a look at some of the things that might turn people off from using your sight. The interface for listing products needs help. I don't think your attitude of "Use it a few times and you'll get the hang of it" is a good one. Many people will use it once and never come back. I am learning of options that I never knew existed. They should be obvious. They are not. A "relist all" button should be obvious. A 20 day listing option should be obvious. I do suggest that you expand your 20 day listings to 30 days. Once a month for relisting would be really, really nice in my opinion.

Ok, changed to 30-day listings :) We will continue to work on the interface, but pretty much all our time has been spent trying to get the search function improved which has been the biggest complaint. Once that is done we have to work on the invoicing system and then we will try and flesh out the listing process. It really is quite easy though. Imagine using Ebay for the first time. I think they have similar issues with new users.

But yes, always room for improvements :)

Also, have you clicked on the Buyers Guide and Sellers Guide at the top right corner of your members area? That answers quite a few questions in there.

Edited by Parrothead

What Gamegavel needs is an "event" to bring lots of sellers over at once.

If the process of listing stuff could be made to imitate Ebay (as closely as possible) then bigtime Ebay sellers could come over and list without having to take the time to "learn anything." This kind of thing would make it easy to move over to GG.

If the big store sellers were able to set up a store like they have on Ebay and be given a "free month" (no fees at all) or something like that - where they can sell for free for a short time and rack up a few sales, they might stay, and buyers would suddenly start seeing lots of items listed and start buying.

Just a thought.

What Gamegavel needs is an "event" to bring lots of sellers over at once.

If the process of listing stuff could be made to imitate Ebay (as closely as possible) then bigtime Ebay sellers could come over and list without having to take the time to "learn anything." This kind of thing would make it easy to move over to GG.

If the big store sellers were able to set up a store like they have on Ebay and be given a "free month" (no fees at all) or something like that - where they can sell for free for a short time and rack up a few sales, they might stay, and buyers would suddenly start seeing lots of items listed and start buying.

Just a thought.

We do have free stores on GG. Every seller has one and has their own unique store URL. Sellers can upload store logos and information and it shows all their auctions by category too. We have attempted to recruit Ebay sellers but with not much success. What the site really needs is more modern day gaming auctions. We are visited now by 20,000 unique visitors/month so traffic is coming. But the majority of that traffic is new traffic looking for modern day stuff which we don't have - mostly classic stuff.

I am working with gogamers.com, one of Ebay's largest gaming sellers and trying to get them to bring some stuff over. When we run this campaign for the publishers we will get a few hundred thousand new eyes hitting the site in a short time, so I will be making a call for everyone with any current generation systems and games to get some listings running to take advantage of this traffic spike.

Listing is every bit as easy and fast as on Ebay. It walks you through everything step by step. There are a couple areas that have been mentioned, regarding photo uploads, but 1st time is has every come up was here in this thread. We do have forums over on GG and have an area dedicated to comments and suggestions so probably every suggestion that has come up here has been mentioned before. And lots of issues over the past three years have been addressed.

If you haven't listed anything, give it a try. After 2 or 3 listings you will have it figured out. Everything has a small learning curve and this is no different. We tried coping Ebay in nearly every way already :)

How about this. If there are 5 people here on AA that have never used GameGavel. Register and list 2 items. I will give all who participate a free lifetime seller account - no selling fees. Then give me feedback here in this thread on what you thought.

Edited by Parrothead

Don't make me come up there and knock your heads together! You both want the same thing and are both frustrated, but dont forget who the real enemy is!!!!

Gaddafi?

I too hope GG becomes a viable option to counter ebay, just because I think competition is best. I have had pretty good luck with ebay so far though which, after looking around here at some of the screw jobs people have had on there, I should seriously count my blessings. The times that I have searched GG they haven't really had a large selection of what I was looking for and prices seemed a bit high on some items. Even compared to ebay. Not the fault of the site. Just needs more sellers willing to take a chance with the site which, since I am in the buying mode currently, I can't do. :sad: The idea of an auction site for gamers by gamers seems promising. I hope it will work out in practice.

Edited by GKC

How about this. If there are 5 people here on AA that have never used GameGavel. Register and list 2 items. I will give all who participate a free lifetime seller account - no selling fees. Then give me feedback here in this thread on what you thought.

Now that looks like someone trying to improve. Someone take this offer up, post your sales, advertise them here, and lets see what happens. If its something people are interested in we can get some bidders going and get reviews from every angle. Seeing as how there is already a "no lip service" edge to this thread I can't see the harm in real honest answers.

I'm not the selling type normally, and I have nothing of great enough value to really worry about it right now anyway. I can't see the harm in taking that offer otherwise.

Don't make me come up there and knock your heads together! You both want the same thing and are both frustrated, but dont forget who the real enemy is!!!!

Gaddafi?

Well, yes, of course Ghaddafi....but more specifically the organization he secretly bankrolled to further his Pez collecting ambition stateside.

Now that looks like someone trying to improve. Someone take this offer up, post your sales, advertise them here, and lets see what happens.

I'm already signed up so it doesn't apply to me but I'll be putting some up and letting everyone know :)

Yeah, you just need to worry about finding a way to speed up shipping in and out of Canada. There is a hole in my heart that can only be filled by Zeller carts!

Fill us in. Always fun to buy something from the famous AtariLeaf.

Now that looks like someone trying to improve. Someone take this offer up, post your sales, advertise them here, and lets see what happens.

I'm already signed up so it doesn't apply to me but I'll be putting some up and letting everyone know :)

Yeah, you just need to worry about finding a way to speed up shipping in and out of Canada. There is a hole in my heart that can only be filled by Zeller carts!

Fill us in. Always fun to buy something from the famous AtariLeaf.

Well I haven't done it yet but I sold a lot here at AA so I may not need to :D

I like the idea, but aside from any adjustments to be made to it, I'm sorry to say I'd use eBay over it any day. You just can't beat the saturation you get through eBay, regardless of any fee arguments. You're going to get at least double exposure and probably money out of it. Gamegavel is really only for collectors who want to pretend they can overcome eBay for gaming auctions. Not likely to ever happen, no offense. Does good for what it is, though.

I like the idea, but aside from any adjustments to be made to it, I'm sorry to say I'd use eBay over it any day. You just can't beat the saturation you get through eBay, regardless of any fee arguments. You're going to get at least double exposure and probably money out of it. Gamegavel is really only for collectors who want to pretend they can overcome eBay for gaming auctions. Not likely to ever happen, no offense. Does good for what it is, though.

And that's the difficult thing. I have so many common 2600 doubles but I could never sell them on gamegavel because the audience is other collectors who would already have those.

Until gamegavel advertises more on non collector websites and draws in the casual audience it will NEVER be more than a fringe auction site dedicated to a very specific group of people who are basically just buying and selling from each other which, IMO, is done just as well if not better at places like the AA marketplace for NO fees.

I think the AA marketplace should be the FIRST place to try to sell things. I think most of us can attest that we can have a lot of success just buying, selling, and trading right here.

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 1

And that's the difficult thing. I have so many common 2600 doubles but I could never sell them on gamegavel because the audience is other collectors who would already have those.

Until gamegavel advertises more on non collector websites and draws in the casual audience it will NEVER be more than a fringe auction site dedicated to a very specific group of people who are basically just buying and selling from each other which, IMO, is done just as well if not better at places like the AA marketplace for NO fees.

i sell a lot of common (R1,2,3) 2600 games on GG over the years. matter of fact i don't have too many left because they get sold. :)

Rick

I'm going to give it another try. It has been a while, true. I'll post about 100 auction style listings at 50% the best ePay price, with a BIN of 15% less than the best ePay price... and even offer a 3% cash discount for using an official postal money order instead of Paypal. I want it to work... really. If I can get 40% sales through or higher in a month on 100 items I'll keep using the site with this method. In my mind these prices seem very reasonable... if there is a better way (that some of you have observed) pleas tell me.

AX

I will definitely be taking you up on this. I just so happen to have some items I was going to list on ebay and will list them on GG instead and see how they do (They are 2600 shrinkwrapped carts and the like, so it's worth a shot). I don't mind being one to make a push to move these types of items to GG instead of ebay (especially with the sweet deal you're offering for first time sellers :cool: ). To be honest before reading this thread I had a kind of cynical attitude of GG after briefly looking it over about 6 months ago, but after reading this thread I really think both GG admin and people saying GG needs more work bring up good points and perhaps I should find out for myself.

Anyway, I will be making a post a little later in the evening after I post the items and how it goes, also hopefully updating as I sell a few items :D

Edited by anakedg

When it comes to the most common games there are plunty I don't have yet, and I've been collecting a while. However, places like this are better for getting those as instead of getting a lot of 20 games for the 5 I don't have I can cherry pick a list of common games here to get what I need.

Speaking of which I need to add more commons to my wanted list. I have gotten a lot from that list here...

I will definitely be taking you up on this. I just so happen to have some items I was going to list on ebay and will list them on GG instead and see how they do (They are 2600 shrinkwrapped carts and the like, so it's worth a shot). I don't mind being one to make a push to move these types of items to GG instead of ebay (especially with the sweet deal you're offering for first time sellers :cool: ). To be honest before reading this thread I had a kind of cynical attitude of GG after briefly looking it over about 6 months ago, but after reading this thread I really think both GG admin and people saying GG needs more work bring up good points and perhaps I should find out for myself.

Anyway, I will be making a post a little later in the evening after I post the items and how it goes, also hopefully updating as I sell a few items :D

PM sent and your account is upgraded. Thanks :)

I'm going to give it another try. It has been a while, true. I'll post about 100 auction style listings at 50% the best ePay price, with a BIN of 15% less than the best ePay price... and even offer a 3% cash discount for using an official postal money order instead of Paypal. I want it to work... really. If I can get 40% sales through or higher in a month on 100 items I'll keep using the site with this method. In my mind these prices seem very reasonable... if there is a better way (that some of you have observed) pleas tell me.

AX

Thanks Ax,

I hope this works out for us :)