IGNORED

ea releases $260 worth of dlc.....

xg4bx

Tiger woods '12-

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/03/30/ea-releases-260-of-dlc-before-game-comes-out/

I just have to lol. Remember when dlc was just horse armor?

This is why games these days have no replay value, you've even gotta pay for cheat codes on top of characters/levels that used to be simply unlocked through gameplay.

Not to beat a dead horse but man,this ain't a sign of a healthy industry...

I saw all of those Woods '12 courses up in the Marketplace today and thought to myself that EA had gone completely nuts (all at $4 a pop). However, I looked at the picture of the game cover and it said it included an Additional 14 Championship courses, there are 18 courses available as DLC (a couple are fictional courses). I am guessing if you buy the game new it has a token inside for the courses to be downloaded (That is pure speculation as I haven't bought the game). This is the business model that EA is using for its online access, this go around it isn't for online access though, it is for offline courses. I don't like this trend but I don't see it stopping. I'll stick with my old Woods golf and pass on this DLC machine.

Haven't tried this game yet, but alot of the download list looks like branded dress up items for your avatar/golfer. Some people will pay a buck for an Adidas shirt, others won't, either way it doesn't turn me off to the game in any way. Some of the other DLC was to unlock courses early, rather than playing through the game to unlock them. Again, I wouldn't pay to unlock a course I could just play the game to unlock, but to each his/her own.

If the game only comes with three holes of golf and a stick figure golfer, I would understand the outrage. How many courses are included on the disc? 1? 5? 15? If 15 courses are included on the disc and EA releases more later, I am ok with that.

I saw all of those Woods '12 courses up in the Marketplace today and thought to myself that EA had gone completely nuts (all at $4 a pop). However, I looked at the picture of the game cover and it said it included an Additional 14 Championship courses, there are 18 courses available as DLC (a couple are fictional courses). I am guessing if you buy the game new it has a token inside for the courses to be downloaded (That is pure speculation as I haven't bought the game). This is the business model that EA is using for its online access, this go around it isn't for online access though, it is for offline courses. I don't like this trend but I don't see it stopping. I'll stick with my old Woods golf and pass on this DLC machine.

Thank you. And if you keep to that dedication, and enough fans of the game also wake up, it will indeed run the chance of stopping it. The reason why these things haven't stopped publishers from pulling extra lows so far is because the majority just keep buying into it.

That's utterly ridiculous... But I'm inclined to agree with this statement..

Posted Yesterday, 8:12 PM

EA does this stuff constantly.. If you buy it new you get to download all this other stuff at no cost, but if you buy it used you get to pay them for the DLC... Mass Effect 2 for PS3, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Bad Company 2, and Bulletstorm all implemented the same thing in some form. The battle against used gaming ravages on.

Edited by Gabsters89

EA is doing this more and more aren't they. I know some companies have done this to make you pay them for a used copy of the game. A new copy comes with DLC codes, but a used copy mean you have to buy this stuff to play. While I think that it stupid, I understand they are trying to kill the 2nd hand market for games. The real problem here is this means that even if you own a disc for game you wont be able to play it when your 360 dies on you in the future. There will be no way to play this game after the next gen systems come out and that will start to kill our hobby. Collecting will get much much harder in the future.

So if this is the model they want to use we are screwed. But I still can't understand why EA would allow GameStop to get exclusive preorder stuff and then try to kill them by taking away their main source of income. If you hate the reselling of video games, don't support the people that make most of their money doing it...

All this assumes there is a code for the DLC in the game if you buy it new. I'm sure there is. Its ok, I have enough games with no DLC or DRM to keep me happy for years and years to come.

The publishers just need to get it over with and do this: Release a bare-bones game on disc containing only the game engine, start up screen, and options menu. No graphics. Everything is wire-frame rendered until you purchase the graphics via DLC. Sell the disc for $30. Sell the graphics for $30. Nickel-dime the customer for all of that other add-on shit. That way they get a piece of the pie when used copies change hands. You just know they wanna do this.

The publishers just need to get it over with and do this: Release a bare-bones game on disc containing only the game engine, start up screen, and options menu. No graphics. Everything is wire-frame rendered until you purchase the graphics via DLC. Sell the disc for $30. Sell the graphics for $30. Nickel-dime the customer for all of that other add-on shit. That way they get a piece of the pie when used copies change hands. You just know they wanna do this.

Whoa whoa! the engine AND wire frames? How generous of them! I wouldn't be surprised for it to go even further before it's all said and done. Just a 100kb file on the disc to verify it's a purchased copy. Everything else downloaded from a book of DLC coupons included in the box.

• Like 2

Whoa whoa! the engine AND wire frames? How generous of them! I wouldn't be surprised for it to go even further before it's all said and done. Just a 100kb file on the disc to verify it's a purchased copy. Everything else downloaded from a book of DLC coupons included in the box.

I could see them doing it the other way around. The game is there on the disc, but if you don't have the code that says you got it new then you can't download the 100kb file that makes the game on the disc work. That way there is still a reason for the disc, and the DLC crap.

All this DLC is going to create another problem for our friends in Canada. They are limiting internet access as I understand it and this means that the more they have to download to play games the less they can buy games. That would be a double wammy.

All this DLC is going to create another problem for our friends in Canada. They are limiting internet access as I understand it and this means that the more they have to download to play games the less they can buy games. That would be a double wammy.

Trying to, yes. But that's about adding a cap to the download/upload etc (while crushing all the "competition" by removing the wholesaling of bandwidth requirement that was added to ensure there -was- competition to the big providers that otherwise held a monopoly.) I think the US is heading towards that cap and limitation a lot faster and are a lot further along right now.

Trying to, yes. But that's about adding a cap to the download/upload etc (while crushing all the "competition" by removing the wholesaling of bandwidth requirement that was added to ensure there -was- competition to the big providers that otherwise held a monopoly.) I think the US is heading towards that cap and limitation a lot faster and are a lot further along right now.

Seems like companies like NetFlix need to get involved in this fight. If they cap my internet use I can't see a reason to pay for their service, so I'd leave it. I know I wouldn't be the only one leaving their service either.