IGNORED

homebrews ftw!

babz

The game uses DPC (Pitfall 2) bank-switching. I'm not sure why Z26 doesn't like it (I haven't looked at the trace yet).
...because it's not automatically recognised AS a DPC game (which is why I followed up my reply after realising this). Fortunately, it's possible to "force" bankswitching modes in emulators when such checksum-based autodetection has no reference.

Z26 didn't like it until I lopped off 2k. What part didn't fit?

The game uses DPC (Pitfall 2) bank-switching. I'm not sure why Z26 doesn't like it (I haven't looked at the trace yet).

The final 2K is unused, but it is required in the ROM image for Stella to detect it as a DPC ROM.

Chris

z26 doesn't autodetect the binaries as DPC games because they are 255 bytes too short. The Pitfall 2 binary has 8K of code 2K of graphics data and 255 bytes which contain the sequence of the pseudo random number generator. IIRC the emulator does use thie RNG data anymore, but the binaries must still be 10495 bytes large to be autodetected properly.

Wow, someone has already managed to infringe on this Russian Bloc Game and make an 'updated' version....well, I guess if 'babz' could code it in such a short time, others can follow suit! :| I don't really like the new name, though.... "Tetris" just sounds stupid to me.

• Like 2

Tetris has been around since NES or maybe earlier. I don't think Atari eve had Tetris though. Although city has nothing to do with blocks either.

I think 0078265317 might be code for "April Fools' 2012." Set up almost a full year in advance! This is going to be the most epic April Fools' prank ever!

Just in case it's not, here's a related link:

The History of Tetris

i guess I didnt make the joke obvios enough 4 everyone ;-D

chetiry = her city

Tetris has been around sinse nes or maybe earlier. I don't think atari eve had tetris though. Althouch city has nothing to do with blocks either.

Edited by babz

I wouldn't call this version 'premative'; it's actually really nicely done, considering the system it's on. Also, I'd assume that each and every person posting on this board is more than familiar with Tetris, one of the most popular video games of all time. I, for one, am looking at a tetris arcade marquee on my wall right now.

And it was a computer game before it was anything; the Wiki is a pretty good read. The game and legal battles relating to it have a long and (to me) interesting history.

Edited by DickNixonArisen

z26 doesn't autodetect the binaries as DPC games because they are 255 bytes too short. The Pitfall 2 binary has 8K of code 2K of graphics data and 255 bytes which contain the sequence of the pseudo random number generator. IIRC the emulator does use thie RNG data anymore, but the binaries must still be 10495 bytes large to be autodetected properly.

Thanks for the explanation. With those extra bytes it is indeed detected correctly.

Chris

chetirygb_ntsc_z26.zip

Two suggestions:

- Currently the color seems random, in the original, each shape had its own color.

- The aspect ratio is a bit irritating, it would help if each row is somewhat taller. Not sure how many display lines the current kernel has, if it is 192 then there is quite some space left, especially since the screen corners are not used at all. ~210 should be no problem.

Two suggestions:

- Currently the color seems random, in the original, each shape had its own color.

- The aspect ratio is a bit irritating, it would help if each row is somewhat taller. Not sure how many display lines the current kernel has, if it is 192 then there is quite some space left, especially since the screen corners are not used at all. ~210 should be no problem.

The full version (see post #44) has a different colour for each shape. The aspect ratio looks a bit better on a real TV. It is currently using 208 scanlines.

Thanks,

Chris

The aspect ratio does look better on a real TV. At first it bothered me, but honestly, even in Stella I don't notice it anymore. (And I've been playing it a lot.)

If you're using OpenGL mode in Stella, you can tweak the aspect ratio to give a more square image. Try setting the NTSC aspect ratio to around 89-91 (default is 100). This will result in a window 90% of the pixel width, which looks much closer to a real TV.