IGNORED

Atari 5200 Ultimate SD Cartridge ROMS Project

Chuplayer

This particular post may not be up to date due to the restricted editing permissions on AtariAge. Please look further down in the topic for the most up to date information.

I figured I'd start this as sort of a sister project to the manual project in another thread.

I scrounged together all the 5200 ROMs I could find and organized them. This is my first pass at organizing them, so I'm sure there are errors and duplicates. I'm already certain that there are some duplicates between the three folders of this zip file, but perhaps those could get worked out later.

The first folder is "5200 other". It contains homebrews, a bunch of 8-bit conversions, and other oddities.

The second folder is "5200 regular". This contains commercial releases.

The third folder is the recent set of conversions Classics posted. It is exactly the same as his upload, but it is simply included here for completeness's sake.

One of the reasons I call this the sister project to the manual project is that it would be a good idea to make their filenames the same (except for the extensions, of course) so a package of manuals can be uploaded that can be compatible with the package of ROMs. I believe the same thing can be accomplished for screenshot files.

In addition, I believe it would be a good idea to standardize the notation for conversions and demos. I did not go out of my way to standardize them in this first upload, but having a notation scheme that is compact and concise would be for the best so the filenames can all appear on the cart's menu screen without running off of the screen. Perhaps something like (conv) and (demo), or maybe to even further shorten the filenames, CONV and DEMO could be used.

Unfortunately, I wasn't exactly being careful in recording the specific details of certain hacks, particularly some Pac-Man hacks. If anybody wants to fill in the blanks, be my guest.

And if I'm missing certain ROMs, please point me in the direction of where to get them so I can add them to the file.

This upload may also contain non-working ROMs. I experienced problems running Jumpman Jr. and one of the Pac-Man hacks myself. If anybody finds any more instances of nonworking ROMs, please let me know, but I don't intend this topic to turn into a non-working ROM discussion. I believe I may start another topic about that. (Jumpman Jr. in particular is really giving me problems.)

ZIP file is located here. I cannot attach it because I can't keep a ZIP file below 2MB.

• Like 2

Not sure if you were supposed to give out the Beef Drop SD?

One thing I'll say is that the 5200 community is blessed with guys like Steve/classics, Ken Siders/kenfused, Wratchild, and Bob/PacManPlus, who have done so many conversions and released them free. Beats having to fiddle with an Atari 800!! Whereas the Colecovision community releases are almost 100% sales of cart-only.

• Like 2

One thing I'll say is that the 5200 community is blessed with guys like Steve/classics, Ken Siders/kenfused, Wratchild, and Bob/PacManPlus, who have done so many conversions and released them free. Beats having to fiddle with an Atari 800!! Whereas the Colecovision community releases are almost 100% sales of cart-only.

So true. We as 5200 fans and users are very lucky for the hard work these talented people do.

Also true for the colecovision. If the Pacman collection rom was available, I might actually keep my CV hooked up for more than 2 days every 6 months. Then you see the new Smurf game and I'd really like to play it, but I just can't throw my money around at every classic gaming thing I want to get. (Right now I'm doing that with A8 computers)Plus if the roms never get released and you happen to miss a limited run of carts for a home-brew, your shit out of luck!

• Like 1

When using the 128-1 USB cart, what does it mean when you get the following when dropping a rom file on a slot in the 5200 Multi Cart Studio Software - "Error loading rom <ROM> for slot #<SLOT)>, I/O error 103"?

(btw - I know this is mainly an SD cart thread but seemed better posting here then resurrecting years old threads)

Edited by mckafka99

When using the 128-1 USB cart, what does it mean when you get the following when dropping a rom file on a slot in the 5200 Multi Cart Studio Software - "Error loading rom <ROM> for slot #<SLOT)>, I/O error 103"?

(btw - I know this is mainly an SD cart thread but seemed better posting here then resurrecting years old threads)

Unqualfied I/O errors usually are the result of permission problems after the file is already open.

This can be caused by anti-virus software that interferes with file i/o operations. Try disabling any anti-virus or other security software that might be hooking the file i/o routines.

Also try copying the file to another location, then loading the copy. Right click the new file and select Properties, then make sure it is not marked as Hidden, System or Read-Only.

Steve

Anyone try the Frogger hack for no button press? Wow.... with a stock controller the frog just hauls ass and is hard to stop. I was laughing my ass off. So now I see why they made the original the way they did. If you have something like a masterplay or redemtion this hack is fantastic though. :)

ZIP file is located here. I cannot attach it because I can't keep a ZIP file below 2MB.

How about the solution attached? :)

Hi Clu ;-)

There is a pac-man speed hack in there that is an ATR, like an 8-bit disk image. I renamed it .bin but it didn't load from the SD cart. Is that file in there by error or what? I'm enjoying the ms. pac-man with the speed hack and was hoping this was the same for pac-man.

Thanks!

How about the solution attached? :)

Hi Clu ;-)

There is a pac-man speed hack in there that is an ATR, like an 8-bit disk image. I renamed it .bin but it didn't load from the SD cart. Is that file in there by error or what? I'm enjoying the ms. pac-man with the speed hack and was hoping this was the same for pac-man.

Thanks!

I must have put it in there by accident. I'll take it out in the next revision.

• 2 weeks later...

Another conversion to the cause! :cool:

I'm putting it here as I've currently not got access to update my webpage.

To all appearances it plays well, but let me know if any alternative key settings could be used.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for this! I'm really enjoying it!

The game play seems to be great but I found a bug where after a game is over, you get the game over screen and music, when it goes back to the title screen and you press start to play again about 50% of the time the game will lock up right there.

Sometimes the music plays on but eventually stops, but the video hangs and the 5200 just sits there. Sometimes the display goes crazy showing garbage with mostly pink color.

Another conversion to the cause! :cool:

I'm putting it here as I've currently not got access to update my webpage.

To all appearances it plays well, but let me know if any alternative key settings could be used.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for this! I'm really enjoying it!

The game play seems to be great but I found a bug where after a game is over, you get the game over screen and music, when it goes back to the title screen and you press start to play again about 50% of the time the game will lock up right there.

Sometimes the music plays on but eventually stops, but the video hangs and the 5200 just sits there. Sometimes the display goes crazy showing garbage with mostly pink color.

Interesting. I was playing this a lot yesterday and that never happened to me. I was using the fire button to restart the game so maybe it has something to do with the Start button.

Allan