IGNORED

Does anyone from the NY/NJ area remember Intellivision WPIX game challenge?

Back when I was a kid, the NY/NJ television station WPIX (channel 11) had a contest for viewers. The contest consisted of viewers writing in to the station with their name, address and phone # on a postcard. These cards would be picked at random and the person chosen would get a phone call from the station (if I remember correctly, it was an after school thing from 3 to 5 pm).

When they got the person on the phone, they would play an Intellivision game, live on TV! You would play games that only required a fire button and you would control this by shouting the word PIX each time you wanted to shoot. Winners who scored high enough would win prizes.

It seems like they had this in other television markets as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_POWWW

I always wanted to be on the show and win a T-Shirt or some cash!!! Does anyone else remember this?

Yes, I used to run home from school to watch dastardly and muttley... 11 Alive would play TV-PIX at about the half hour.

The games were NOT the games on sharp shot! They did have Football and a Space Battle type game like in Sharp Shot, but it had only one gun sight.

It was centered on the screen. Also, They had a Soccer game. It required a pass and shot. Two PIX's to score.

Just a few years ago, A local channel had TV-POWW It was similar to PIX.

As an Intellivision owner.... I would show my 2600 friends this as proof Intellivision was a better system. LOL

Great memories :)

In Chicago we had it on some show or other with Rich Koz. I believe Svengoolie, when they showed amazingly crap spooky movies and he came on before commercial breaks to make fun of the movie. I also remember very late nights Grandpa from The Munsters hosting such a show, which also used it once or twice. That show was great, you could TELL Grampa was drunk as heck most of the time.

yah these were the days when the Channel F and then the good old INTV got POWW (or PIXX in NY) treatment. What was even better is while easily suited to use in kids programming (you know afternoons used NOT to be Maury/Judge Judy's domain, but Ducktails, Dennis the Menace etc), but also worked on independent stations filling primetime up.

• 4 weeks later...