IGNORED

VI for SpartaDOS ?

Frankie

uh... your not a vi user are you frankie?

sloopy.

Actually over 25 years of use. Press : and you can use e! all you like in VI. Yes, it's an ed command, but it works just as well. Anybody know what ~ does off the top of there head? It's a great interview question...

Frank

Actually over 25 years of use. Press : and you can use e! all you like in VI. Yes, it's an ed command, but it works just as well. Anybody know what ~ does off the top of there head? It's a great interview question...

Frank

Technically, when you hit ':', it's an ex command. But granted, ex evolved from ed. And vi is really just the 'vi'sual mode of ex. If you type :ex, you drop into line oriented ex mode.

Oh, and ask a hard one. `~` toggles the capitalization of the current character. I can't say I've used vi for 25 years, but I can say 21 years :D

--Kurt

yeah i am in the neighborhood of 25 years... i first used vi on a Sun-2 IIRC (i know for sure it was a VME bus 68k based UNIX machine)

and yeah, when you hit : or type :ex you are no longer using 'vi' you are using ed/ex...

and vim is usually the first thing i install on windows machines, and complete vim on linux boxen...

sloopy.

ZZ

yeah i am in the neighborhood of 25 years... i first used vi on a Sun-2 IIRC (i know for sure it was a VME bus 68k based UNIX machine)

and yeah, when you hit : or type :ex you are no longer using 'vi' you are using ed/ex...

and vim is usually the first thing i install on windows machines, and complete vim on linux boxen...

sloopy.

ZZ

Not using ed/ex, just ex. ed is more limited than ex. I've got to admit my ed knowledge has shriveled in my brain. I remember it being useful when you were on a terminal that didn't behave.

And I tolerate vim, but I prefer nvi. All of vim's color higlighting annoys me. But it originally earned my wrath for mucking up the title bars on my xterms 20 years ago. It would replace the title in my xterm (which was carefully set to the host it was on, and I had windows on many hosts) to the filename I was editing (which is what control-G is for) and when I exited left the titlebar as "Thanks for flying vim..,."

Pissed me off to no end.

--Kurt

sloopy.

Frank

HA reverses case. I use that in interviews too lol. I also ask how to swap 2 chars in line with 2 keystrokes.

Edited by danwinslow

sloopy.

Frank

HA reverses case. I use that in interviews too lol. I also ask how to swap 2 chars in line with 2 keystrokes.

That's a good one! x then p

The only thing that VI offers is a small, clean, quick editing environment, that runs virtually on any platform that can compile it. There's no particluar features that set it apart in my opinion, and its flawed in several ways, the most notable being the lack of a column cut/paste feature. But it fast, the key combos are concise, and reliable, and once learned its yours forever. Most of us just got imprinted on it very early, like baby ducks, and now everything else always feels faintly wrong.

Now, EMACS is from satan. It is the evil spawn of developer-hating bean counters. It will envelope you and your project in its MASSIVE WORLD OF INTRUSIVE FEATURES. Don't like your world being run by a hugely bloated pile of LISP? Too bad! What, you just want to edit a simple file? HAHAHA NO WAY! Press this! Now press that! Now run these nine macros! now switch screens 5 times! Now press a key combo that needs more fingers than a human actually has! Now stare in dismay as line after line of Klingonese macro lines go by! MWAHAHA! YOUR SOUL IS OURS!

uh..well. Actually I don't like EMACS, but hey to each his own.

Thank you for so succinctly proving my point. =)

Hehe, was hoping for return fire from an EMACS partisan, but no luck :(

thats because they are all fools, and didnt realize the greatness of the Atari A8... most just used C64's, which would explain their use of emacs...

Eighty Megs And Constantly Swapping...

sloopy.

Eighty Megs And Constantly Swapping...

My favourite still is "EMACS is a great OS, but unfortunately it comes with a terrible editor"

so long,

Hias

:wq

during a commentary in uni, a professor was speaking the merits of EMACs on SunOS in the the Sun lab... and he had a question period, to which my question was

'to toggle the current char under the cursor uc/lc, you use control-alt-meta-hyper-super-what?'

his only response was 'you are a vi user arnt you?'

the class was puzzled, and no mention of EMACs or vi was made in class again...

sloopy.

during a commentary in uni, a professor was speaking the merits of EMACs on SunOS in the the Sun lab... and he had a question period, to which my question was

'to toggle the current char under the cursor uc/lc, you use control-alt-meta-hyper-super-what?'

sloopy.

Again, I'll spout the virtues of Notepad++. Ctrl+U to go all lowercase (anything highlighted including columns) and Shift+Ctrl+U to uppercase it.

sloopy.

Again, I'll spout the virtues of Notepad++. Ctrl+U to go all lowercase (anything highlighted including columns) and Shift+Ctrl+U to uppercase it.

Men, destroy this infidel. Ninja VI DeathSquad is on the way.

sloopy.

sounds like EMACS... lets see some proof you arnt a EMACs infidel in disguise...

sloopy.

vi was designed for old slow machines... the first machine it was written for (a DEC PDP-11/45) wasnt much greater then an atari 8bit, if you take into consideration, it was a multi-user system...

sloopy.

Kidding aside, given the memory restrictions of an Atari, Nano might be a better fit than vi or EMACS.

Better than emacs, probably. Not VI.

Nano isn't actually that small. Then again, you might be just thinking of VIM, which is VI derived, but is more bloated like EMACS.

vi was designed for old slow machines... the first machine it was written for (a DEC PDP-11/45) wasnt much greater then an atari 8bit, if you take into consideration, it was a multi-user system...

sloopy.

That's the machine I learned VI on. Didn't know it was the first machine it was written for. It was certainly better then TECO

Frank

sloopy.

That's the machine I learned VI on. Didn't know it was the first machine it was written for. It was certainly better then TECO

Frank

alot of my friends were into 'real' computers when i was in my mid teens... one actually had a DECSystem 20 in his garage, so i got made fun of for my Atari 8bit, but he gave me a DEC PDT-11/150, and i used it a while, but my atari was a little faster, so didnt use it a whole lot, and not to mention it had RT-11 not UN*X on it, so I didnt care much for it...

you should ask me about the time i traded my car for a PDP-11... i asked my dad to put a outlet in my room for the plug, when i showed it to him (he went to school for electrical engineering, and works on high end Xerox printers, so is very familiar with electrical/electronics), the plug, the response was... uh... paraphrased for brevity and polite company... 'no'...

sloopy.