IGNORED

Adventure II for Atari 8-Bit Computers?

Arjak

Cafeman,

Is there any way you can tweak the way the square moves through the mazes? For instance in the original Atari 2600 adventure, the square moves smoothly though the mazes without getting caught in the maze. For instance when you try to escape the dragons you get caught in the bushes sometimes in Adventure II. It would be nice to move along the brush without getting stuck on the edges. I hope that makes since. I cant think of any other way to describe it. Unless the point was to make it harder to run. If thats the case then I am fine with it. Also I may have asked you this before, but what about a level containing the exact map from adventure 2600. I know its late in the game and you are ready to push these out soon, just thought if you are still wanting any more ideas. Your game is awesome! I cant wait to see it!!

Nope, neither change is likely for good reasons. The game's content is pretty much "set". I'm just adding gravy.

Maneuvering around the background plants, logs, and bushes is part of the gameplay. There are a few tight spots but most screens have enough space to escape a hungry dragon.

Because of a few minor path changes (I changed the route which leads to the Ice and Dark kingdoms), I think the XE version flow is more opened-up and fun than the original 5200 version. The first time you play a medium or vast level, those familiar with the 5200 version will quickly see what was changed and why its better now.

Another thing I like about the XE version - the dragons will sometimes give up their chase of you after they've bitten you. If you keep successfully running away from a chasing dragon without it catching and eating you, eventually as you change screens it should give up the chase, unlike the 5200 version where you pretty much have to find the sword and turn around and kill it. Thus there's a chance that even when the scary red dragon locks onto you, that you can get away. (she's pretty fast though so you better not get stuck on those "bushes").

• Like 2

I'm going to call it like I see it at this point in time: Adventure II XE will not be ready to be sold in December. Are you a fan of Groundhog Day? (February) :)

The programming itself ought to be finished by December, but there are too many other steps to do to create the carts and package. it would be a mistake to try to hurry & cram all this work into the next month or two and possibly screw up something. Better to take our time & do it right. Besides, its only about a 2 month difference. We aren't even sure how many to make at this point. How many people are interested in an A8 homebrew like this? I guess we will find out.

I would also like people to actually play a demo and give some feedback before I consider it done. Last time I released a demo, it couldn't be used on Atarimax carts , and I'm not sure anybody actually cared to play it on emulators. I'd like to get the Atarimax-compatible bank switching into the game, then release a demo of a couple levels for some folks to actually play it & report some feedback.

• Like 1

it would be a mistake to try to hurry & cram all this work into the next month or two and possibly screw up something. Better to take our time & do it right.

I agree, completely! I've been wanting something like this since, perhaps, 1980. Respective of that, I'm not going to suddenly grow impatient.

We aren't even sure how many to make at this point. How many people are interested in an A8 homebrew like this? I guess we will find out.

These computers are popular, if judging by the fact that the A8 forum is - by some considerable margin - the busiest on this entire site. When the time comes close to making production decisions, perhaps a new thread with a poll can be started. Will this run on PAL for our European friends? There could be a significant chunk of business there.

I would like to test it. But not sure how I could, except emulation. I dont have any cart device to load roms. I played it quite a bit and beat it on all 22 variations for the 5200. In other words I am familiar with the mazes and was only able to find 2 bat eggs. Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you Cafeman for bringing it not only to the Atari 8 Bit, but adding new features. I cant wait!!!

• Like 1

I would like to test it. But not sure how I could, except emulation. I dont have any cart device to load roms. I played it quite a bit and beat it on all 22 variations for the 5200. In other words I am familiar with the mazes and was only able to find 2 bat eggs. Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you Cafeman for bringing it not only to the Atari 8 Bit, but adding new features. I cant wait!!!

Even in emulation you would be a good tester since you seem so familiar with the 5200 version, you'll surely spot all the differences right away and be able to tell me if you like them or if there are problems. I use the Atariwin 4.0 emulator and it works very well for A8 and 5200. I hear that Altirra is better; but I've never had reason to try it. I can't vouch for MESS or any other emulator.

Do you think I should post strategies and pointers to the 5200 version bat eggs since so many years have passed? I can do that . The dots for the XE version change for every game variation and aren't in the same locations. But if you have your 5200 hooked up here is how to most quickly nab that 3rd bat egg:

It is in the ice castle but only in the Vast variations like #9. (I don't think the beginnger Vast uses that maze though). There is a screen where you can see a path on the right, but can only get to it w/bridge or FLIGHT powerup. The bat egg is on the floor of that next screen - its one of the "wall tapestries" screens. Feel around - and do NOT bring the sword with you because I suspect sometimes the "handle" of the sword (which is a missile sprite) might cause the bat egg to not register.

Anyway, the quickest way to get it: 1. open the ice castle or have the key closeby; 2. Get bat egg #2 in the ice maze. 3. use your FLIGHT power to quickly fly to the ice castle, open it, and fly over walls to the proper screen. If you know the route, you can reach that tapestries screen before it runs out. Else, you need to bring the ladder with you. Go in and get bat egg #3 - you get more Flight! Fly out of the castle. Go to kingdom one after all 3 bat eggs found to the broken islands screen south exit for the secret screen).

I'm Atarimax ready to playtest :)

I will contact both of you guys via a PM when its time to start testing. There are a few little things I never cleaned up yet, on my list, and I need to do the A8 Atarimax bankswitching soon too. Maybe Tep392 can help me, it shouldn't take too long to put in the conditional statements to allow either "XE style banking" or "Atarimax traditional style banking". I have not worked on it for a week or so but this is making me want to tonight.

I've been having more fun learning Rush songs on guitar though. Living in the Limelight the universal dream... I will have to buckle down and program some more. :( :)

I've been having more fun learning Rush songs on guitar though. Living in the Limelight the universal dream... I will have to buckle down and program some more. :( :)

Leave the guitar playing for Alex L., you've got programming to do! :)

Allan

• Like 1

Sounds Great!!!!!

Also...

Yes I think it would be great for a strategy guide for the 5200!! Especially since its been out this long.

I have one question cafeman...

How do you switch sword and bridge positions using a one button 2600 controller? On the 5200 we had 2 buttons. But on the XE we have only one. Unless there are 2 button controllers for the XE system.

There are a few little things I never cleaned up yet, on my list, and I need to do the A8 Atarimax bankswitching soon too. Maybe Tep392 can help me, it shouldn't take too long to put in the conditional statements to allow either "XE style banking" or "Atarimax traditional style banking".

No Problem. :) Just send me the files when they are ready. I'm really looking forward to playing this!

Sounds Great!!!!!

Also...

Yes I think it would be great for a strategy guide for the 5200!! Especially since its been out this long.

Hmm.. maybe I will create something. I'll probably post it at my site. Maybe I could create a PDF.

I have one question cafeman...How do you switch sword and bridge positions using a one button 2600 controller? On the 5200 we had 2 buttons. But on the XE we have only one. Unless there are 2 button controllers for the XE system.

There are 2 ways for AdvII XE - either use your space bar, *or* use joystick 2's button. Personally, I'm planning on using joystick 2's button. I hate trying to hit the space bar while playing, since I play while sitting on my couch reclined away from the system sitting on the floor. Maybe this game needs a foot controller? :)

• Like 1

Hmm.. maybe I will create something. I'll probably post it at my site. Maybe I could create a PDF.

There are 2 ways for AdvII XE - either use your space bar, *or* use joystick 2's button. Personally, I'm planning on using joystick 2's button. I hate trying to hit the space bar while playing, since I play while sitting on my couch reclined away from the system sitting on the floor. Maybe this game needs a foot controller? :)

Hmmmm..any way to have button 2 and space bar activate it? Kind of a hassle to have another joystick out just for pickup/put down. Im close to my computer so space bar is easy :)

Atarimax cart ready when you are :)

Hmmmm..any way to have button 2 and space bar activate it? Kind of a hassle to have another joystick out just for pickup/put down. Im close to my computer so space bar is easy :)

Yes, that is what I meant to communicate. You don't have to choose one or the other - both the space bar and the joystick 2 button are 'button 2'.

Most games I've seen assign a button-2 function to the space bar and AdvII XE is imitating that standard, but I also added in the ability to use a 2nd joystick for people like myself, who play on a couch and don't have the system sitting on a desk in front of them.

• Like 1

Yes, that is what I meant to communicate. You don't have to choose one or the other - both the space bar and the joystick 2 button are 'button 2'.

Most games I've seen assign a button-2 function to the space bar and AdvII XE is imitating that standard, but I also added in the ability to use a 2nd joystick for people like myself, who play on a couch and don't have the system sitting on a desk in front of them.

What if you could hold the button down and push left or right. Perhaps pressing the button twice rapidly to drop something if that would conflict.

What if you could hold the button down and push left or right. Perhaps pressing the button twice rapidly to drop something if that would conflict.

A similar idea has also crossed my mind. One possible way to implement:

• a quick button press & release (you hold it down less than X time_amount) would be button 1. Drops item.
  • if you hold it down over X time_amount, it will consider that 'button 2' and manipulate the carried item.

Or, maybe I should reverse that. ?

And exactly how long is "X time_amount" ? I'd have to play-test it & see. I hate having to think about how long I'm holding the button down. But without a common 2-button controller, frankly all the possibilities are crappier than with 5200. So there would actually be 3 methods to perform it - joystick button 2; space bar; or hold down button 1. Of course, if this idea works well enough, there would be no reason to use joystick 2's button or space bar, both of which take more time to locate & press.

That's one thing that is great about 5200 controller - it has 2 firebuttons AND all the keypad buttons right at your fingertips. Even the Masterplay has a 2nd 'button on a wire' for you to have access to that 2nd function for those game which use it.

I've only played AdvIIXE on emulator so far, so the 2-button scheme hasn't really been an issue yet, but I think this is a good point. Any advice or opinions on this ?