IGNORED

Buy Curious

BigO

Anybody else just buy stuff because it makes them curious? I mean, you don't really know what it is but it for some reason captures your attention and you buy it.

Like this that I picked up today without really knowing what it was, just 'cuz I liked it:

post-12370-0-98755900-1302901358_thumb.jpg

Now the curiosity turns to matters of value. Is it worth anything to anybody? Or should I figure out a way to hack it to work with game systems that I actually have?

Edited by BigO

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1305065788391?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=130506578839&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Last one in the box went for $80. The roller controllers are required for some games.

I wouldn't let it go for less than $25, but I'd try to get $40 out of it first.

AX

I'm not really impressed with the smoothness (lack thereof) of the action on this thing. I took it apart and the shafts have some slight drag to them but nothing too significant. I'd guess they just never were very free rolling.

Sounds like a sale could potentially be profitable. Though, I still think it would be kind of fun to have as a functioning trackball on my desk at work.

Maybe I'll toss it up in the marketplace here @ AA and see what happens.

Edited by BigO

I don't think any games actually required the trackball. Philips was pretty insistent on every CD-I game using the same pointing mechanism. It's one of the reasons input is always laggy. Even action games had to be hacked to be controllable with a mouse type pointer.

I don't think any games actually required the trackball. Philips was pretty insistent on every CD-I game using the same pointing mechanism. It's one of the reasons input is always laggy. Even action games had to be hacked to be controllable with a mouse type pointer.

Yep, same with the mouse. I started a thread at the CD-Interactive forums a while back asking about what games work with it, and it turns out everything does. That's not to say anyone would want to play an action game with a mouse, but I guess it would be a fun experiment on a rainy day. I'm assuming it's the same way with the roller controller.

Haha, very nice! So you could indeed try using it as a pointing device on your PC after you get or build an adapter. :)

Yeah, that actually does make it more appealing as I could build an adapter to make it work with almost anything. I repaired a broken 3rd party Atari 2600 trackball by programming a PIC uC to read the encoders and output the emulated joystick signals so I'm not a total stranger to the concept.

I couldn't convince myself that this thing was working as designed so I applied some wax lubricant to the bushings (KryTech: stuff I use on my bicycle chain, cables, etc). It rolls much more smoothly and quietly and most importantly doesn't cause the ball to ride up on the driven shaft.

With the hollow, hard plastic ball, it still makes scratchy-scrapey noises that I would prefer it not make, but I suspect this is normal.

Edited by BigO

• 3 weeks later...

There's a schematic for making a PC->CDI adaptor here. If you look in the archive there's technical information about how the CDI pointing interface is implemented. This should help you make a CDI->PC adaptor if you want.

Some of those documents should be very helpful. You just never know when something subtle from the factory docs might come in handy, e.g. "communications should use the RS-232-C interface. :)

Step .5 completed. I found a matching socket on an Oki LED page printer (envelope feeder connection) so I should be able to hook this thing up to a PC for testing.

Edited by BigO

Yep, same with the mouse. I started a thread at the CD-Interactive forums a while back asking about what games work with it, and it turns out everything does. That's not to say anyone would want to play an action game with a mouse, but I guess it would be a fun experiment on a rainy day. I'm assuming it's the same way with the roller controller.

You can even play all games with the Peacekeeper Revolver (light gun). I played flashback with it, it's possible but very hard.