IGNORED

New game released: DOWNFALL!

CyranoJ

Just downloaded and played this game, and I like it!

The layers give a good "falling" feeling, and the music fits the game

The control is tight, and feels very natural, I also like the commentary voice but it sounds a little muffled.

Great game, thanks guys! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just got a moment to try it again! Simple, smooth, fun gameplay with nice scrolling and a great backing tune. Love the shoutout to the AA folks and more at the end as well! I will definitely be playing it some more when I come back from my trip. Excellent work, guys! :thumbsup:

Just as a heads-up, we should be releasing a version 1.1 very soon. We discovered a few bugs shortly after release that we'd like to clear up. Don't let that deter you from downloading the game in the meantime, though. :)

I must say that I burnt two coasters at first, but it was my fault. Then I burnt a good one, but I had some trouble to let it start, and it is weird, since I already made other Reboot/jagware discs and I never had problems...

However. This is a great game.

But let me spend a couple of words.

A few months ago, I learnt about PioneerOne, a free-to-download sci-fi series that is growing and shaping well, and it is funded by the viewers. They also have a meter on their site.

I use to buy shareware, and I know that even a couple of euros do help, but seeing that money meter a PioneerOne and seeing people giving just 1, 5, 10 dollars constantly made me feel stronger to the convintion that *any* dollar counts.

I said all this just to incourage everybody who liked the game to Paypal these guys some bucks. It really counts.

And now excuse me, but I feel the urge to put my money where my mouth is.

• Like 4

Atardi:

Do we have to have a special mode just for you? AWESOME SCORE!!!!!! Tell me, do you think the clownshoes level should be the last one (ie, do you think it gets easier after that?)

Paolo (And the other people who donated):

Thank you! Anything raised from this will be going towards getting us faster hosting (our download speeds suck!) and put towards the startup production of carts for our next big game, which was also previewed at AC11 and hopefully will have a website dedicated to its development shortly.

I'd donate some money for that Rootbeer Tapper ST port ;) Hint Hint.

AX

:-) Won't ever be finished. However.... once I get the graphics swapped out for something else (that isn't from screen grabs from MAME!) we will be releasing the build as far as we took it.

We're all really pleased people are enjoying Downfall. As it says on the site it was written very quickly for the AC11 party. The intention all along was to get fully documented source code for a small game project out into the public to hopefully get more people involved with the Jaguar.

Keep pushing those buttons - miracles can happen :)

• Like 2

Great little game, though I am not familiar with the games that it is based on.

I burned the CDI image and it worked great the first time (I used a freebie burning program called ImgBurn).

I can't get more than about 1,200 points, but within five minutes of playing, my seventeen year old son was on his fourth game and he scored about 13,000 points. I checked to see if the score was saved to the memory cart but it wasn't. That's okay though, as I'd hate to be starting at my son's score for the rest of my life.

I did check the source code and _MEMTRCK.S says "MT Track support for Superfly DX." Does that mean support will be added for "Downfall!" in the future?

"Downfall!" reminds me of quality PD games on the Amiga 500. It reminds my son of some Flash games, but he said "Downfall!" is much better. I don't have much Atari ST experience, but I bet that it's similar to games on that platform as well.

It's always great to see some simple, FUN games for the Atari Jaguar. I am really surprised that this was programmed in just twelve days, from start to finish. Wow!

Adam

• Like 2

Does SuperflyDX memorytrack saving work for you? Downfall uses basically the same code as that.

Well, I've never played Superfly FX much, as the CD that I made sometime back didn't always load properly. I made anther CD again today (this time using a high-quality gold CD) and now the game works fine. However, I just played Superfly and I'm as bad as ever. If there is any game that will give me carpel tunnel syndrome, then THAT is it! Neat game, but it's one of the few games that literally hurts for me to play. That's too bad, as it is a great concept.

I used the "Memory Track's" Memory Manager (by pressing option) and what do you know, there is a save slot for both Downfall! and Superfly. When I started Downfall! this time my son's score of about six thousand was displayed. This is the score that he had the second time we played AFTER his score wasn't saved the first time. So, perhaps the cart wasn't inserted all the way the last time?

I'm happy to say that the high score for Downfall is now MY score of about eight-thousand... which I'm sure my son will beat the next time that he plays!

Adam

• Like 1

Just played a few rounds ala the Skunk. Pretty neat game, although I'm not sure I could play it long enough to beat Atardi's high without getting sick. :lol:

Great music and sound effects! Doesn't seem to be just a bunch of random samples thrown together recorded at various rates either like other demos or some commercial software even. Voice has that classic computerized sound for sure. Thanks for offering this up for free!

Edited by save2600

Back from AC. Quick thanks to everyone involved as it was a fun long weekend :)

Downfall was well received (although only when Gaztee stopped hogging it and let some other people play, if you believe his teasing elsewhere that he played it once and hated it (LOL), well, you're a proppa fool, he must have had hundreds of goes - which was good as it kept me off the jaguars & busy gfxing for Reactirs). It was nice to chat with all the guys who are fans & coders of other systems & to be able to show them our past, present & future stuff - they all appreciated our love of proper old-school gaming, really motivating stuff!

Not much more to say here, I'll be writing up a little AC report and posting my pictures to the Reboot site in the coming days. I'll also try my best to beat Atardi's score :D

• Like 3