IGNORED

PSN Outage

SpiceWare

1. The Kinect thing. You answered your own question.

2. Emulators. Damn good emulators thanks to the Cell.

3. The obligatory source port of the Doom engine. Every hardware platform has a Doom engine.

4. Heretic and Hexen ports.

5. Home theater software.

6. Software to turn your Dualshock 3 into a vibrator.

7. They got Linux to run on the PS3 again!!! Holy crap!!!

In other words, nothing that couldn't have been done on a PC or on another platform.

For this small list of lameness, millions have to be (at the least) inconvenienced. It all makes sense now. :thumbsup:

Not.

• Like 1

1. The Kinect thing. You answered your own question.

2. Emulators. Damn good emulators thanks to the Cell.

3. The obligatory source port of the Doom engine. Every hardware platform has a Doom engine.

4. Heretic and Hexen ports.

5. Home theater software.

6. Software to turn your Dualshock 3 into a vibrator.

7. They got Linux to run on the PS3 again!!! Holy crap!!!

In other words, nothing that couldn't have been done on a PC or on another platform.

For this small list of lameness, millions have to be (at the least) inconvenienced. It all makes sense now. :thumbsup:

Not.

Not everybody has PCs as powerful as their PS3s.

Or vibrators.

Or vibrators.

Most console owners are guys. I hate to think why they'd need one and don't tell me it's for their girlfriends.

Just try and hold a grubby controller anywhere near your girlfriends vagina and see if you don't get bitch slapped.

Sorry, any excuse is a lame excuse.

all they did since cracking the ps3's security is fuck with everyone else's stuff. I don't care how many people want to defend these hackers

Most people on AA don't defend these jack-asses.

I can understand an old school gamer, their minds are set in the past when we weren't all networked together and you couldn't do something like this from the comforts of your home. They still think people should be able to do whatever they want with their equipment. They defend these people because they are stuck in the past they just see it as tinkering, be curious to see what they think of this BS, tinkering is exactly why this happened. The rest of the folks defending this shit they just defend it because they don't want their easy freebies to go away.

In the end, even if you are someone who only "tinkers", know you're in the extreme minority, most hackers are nothing more than pirate scumbags who want to play the latest games for free and rip people off. Pure and simple. Defending them at all, for whatever weak reasons you can produce, or enabling them to get to this point is just lame. :thumbsdown:

have seen a documentary called Hackers Wanted ? if you have not i think you should watch it.

but granted whats going on with PSN is just wrong. these forms of hackers are a burden, although they do help with security after they break it.

Edited by madmax2069

do you really need the best supercomputer to run stella or nestopia. horrible excuse. my Window ME, pentium 2 laptop without a standalone video processor could run those programs at 60 fps. :thumbsdown:

I literally had an old ME (upgraded to XP) Pentium 3 computer back when I got my PS3, and I would have jumped at the opportunity to use my PS3 in the ways it can be used now. If I was just a few years younger or a bunch of money poorer, I would still be using that old computer.

do you really need the best supercomputer to run stella or nestopia. horrible excuse. my Window ME, pentium 2 laptop without a standalone video processor could run those programs at 60 fps. :thumbsdown:

You can play COD: black ops online for free from a computer too. In fact, most games on the ps3 have PC ports with online gaming.

You don't really need a PS3 at all.

You use it for what you want. We'll use it how we want. I don't tell you how to use yours, you do the same, cool?

• Like 1

horrible excuse.

I'm telling you from emulators, to vibrators, all the excuses are lame. :cool:

There wasn't anything on that list that any person on this planet would need to make it through life, that they couldn't perform on another platform (even "dead" ones), or could simply do without and not ever care. For millions to get screwed over the things on that list is just a damn shame.

You can play COD: black ops online for free from a computer too. In fact, most games on the ps3 have PC ports with online gaming.

You don't really need a PS3 at all.

You use it for what you want. We'll use it how we want. I don't tell you how to use yours, you do the same, cool?

yeah, but in the process of running emulators and stuff on your ps3, the jailbreaking hackers gave the asshole hackers the oppertunity to ruin it for millions of people that come to expect a consistant online service, while a tiny fraction of homebrew hackers don't care.

And yes, I'm sure Sony wants to keep the PSN going, even if we don't pay for it. They would lose sales because free online is one of the reasons for using a PS3 over the xbox 360. And I'm sure that sony is already loosing lots of sales over this.

Its a big price to pay for a few select people to have thier PS3's mimic a 80's console.

but here, the hackers do not own the servers that they fucked over, those are sony's.

I don't care what they do with thier own 400$ gaming console. Now they are using hacked ps3's to kill Sony's servers, not just thier own property anymore...

+1. If people want to mod/hack their consoles for their own amusement go for it. But once it starts interfering with others, whether it be other gamers or sony itself, they've taken it too far.

• Like 1

You cant defend pirates who use hacks to steal stuff. There's a difference between hobbyists and pirates. Some of them are both!!

Everyone needs to read these, its a little old but it applies to the PS3 situation as well:

http://rdist.root.org/2010/05/11/a-new-direction-for-homebrew-console-hackers/

and this

http://hackmii.com/2010/05/of_homebrew_and_antipiracy/#more-1021

In short: In my own opinion hacking is fine but remember there are those who will use it to steal. Also, if it affects me personally then I'm TOTALLY against it.

One reason I wasnt too happy with the PS3 being hacked was cause I knew something like this would come up. The DRM sitution was getting worse as it was. Now either you join the pirates or suffer future DRM bullshit.

What happens is once a system is hacked and its made public.....assholes will use it to steal shit.

I dont understand why some people dont understand that there are consequences when a system is hacked. There's ramifications that can happen that can screw the average gamer in multiple ways.

DRM. Higher prices. No more physical media. The list can go on and on.

There's a huge risk when a system gets hacked (and its made public)

You cant trust anyone.

At this point I still hope these jerks get hanged.

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 1

I don't care what they do with thier own 400$ gaming console.

I don't understand why console makers don't just make a console brick when you open it. Someone pointed out that when you steal a video game, it's not really stealing since no actual product exists. Fair enough. Bricking a console does nothing to the physical unit. So by that same logic, when a console is bricked, they didn't really do anything, you still have exactly what you paid for. A bunch of chips, and boards and plastic, it's all still yours and you can fiddle with it all you like. Use it as a door stop. Use it to hold papers down on your desk, glue some bristles at the top and use it to remove the mud from your boots. Hackers don't like using the PS3 for what it was intended, that much is obvious. Bricking doesn't have to change their fiddling ways. The hackers just need an open mind and a good imagination.

I'm just joking, but this wouldn't surprise me going forward. It's a new battlefield, the wars the same. It's too easy these days for pricks to cause catastrophic damage overnight. I can see drastic measures being taken.

• Like 1

but here, the hackers do not own the servers that they fucked over, those are sony's.

I don't care what they do with thier own 400$ gaming console. Now they are using hacked ps3's to kill Sony's servers, not just thier own property anymore...

PCs have hacked plenty of other things, so that's one more thing that you didn't need a PS3 to do to begin with. [/sarcasm]

PCs have hacked plenty of other things, so that's one more thing that you didn't need a PS3 to do to begin with. [/sarcasm]

LOL

Emulation is far better on a PC.

:)

And this, folks, is why you don't throw a bone to the homebrew crowd and then take it away. To think all of this could have been avoided because simply nobody cared to hack the PS3 before Sony goaded everybody into doing it.

Two wrongs don't make a right. It pisses me off more then a little to think this is the result of a pissed off homebrew programer and/or fanboy. Because you can't make your homebrew games we can't play PSN at all? Yep, that sounds fair to me too. Sony might be losing money over this thing, but the person that has done this has hurt the community as well, and homebrew programmers are supposed to rely on that community. I'm going to take a breather before I comment more on this!

Holy crap, did I ever say that it was right? No. No, I did not. Stop putting words in my mouth.

All I said was that it was an effect of removing OtherOS. The thing was that nobody cared when OtherOS was available. The system was apparently wide open the whole entire time, yet nobody cared to do that. The only major (if at all) issue was the extensive hardware hack that prompted the removal of OtherOS. Sony effectively had one person jumping through their own butthole because nobody expected the keys to be so poorly implemented. Once people got interested, they got interested in the key algorithm. And the rest is history.

I never said it was right, but would you walk into a preschool, yell Santa isn't real at the top of your lungs, and expect there to not be at least one kid to run up to you and kick you in the shin? They wouldn't be right, but you wouldn't be right either.

I'm sorry man, I didn't think to mention that I wasn't pissed at you! That would be like killing the messenger. My bad, its nothing personal. I think the problem was I knew you were right about that and it just ticked me off instantly to know that something like this was going on.

To me I think this is all about piracy. It you really just want to play with Linux there are other, better, easier ways to do it. I understand that Sony said it would be there. I understand being upset that they took it away, but I agree that no one seemed to be doing much with it while it was there. There were so many good things that could have been done with it, but instead all I ever heard about it was people that wanted to use it to pirate games and other media. The only way to stop people from abusing things like that is to stop everyone from using it for anything. So in the end the people that try to do this crap have now ruined everything about PSN. Sucks to be the good guy, one bad apple ruins the bunch every time.

Again, sorry, I didn't mean any of that to be an attack on you.

Looks like some info might have been compromised, hopefully this helps anyone with info linked to their account...

Sony has confirmed that the recent attack on the PlayStation Network has resulted in the accessing of untold numbers of user accounts and the personal information associated with those accounts. Sony has yet to identify how many accounts were compromised, and while "there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken," Sony admited that "we cannot rule out the possibility." So for the sake of assuming the worst and hoping for the best, here's a handy guide for what your next course of action should be

According to its official statement released today, Sony identified that the following information was made vulnerable during the attack window of April 17-19:

• Name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID.
  • It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained.

Now, while a credit card number is not required to set up a PSN account, the information listed above could be used to access bank accounts, so even if you didn't attach a credit card number to your account, you're still not entirely free and clear. For now though, just let's just say your credit card info (minus the security code, per Sony's statement) and personal data have been compromised. What now?

Place a fraud alert on your credit reports, and review your credit reports

• Fraud alerts can help prevent an identity thief from opening any more accounts in your name. Contact the toll-free fraud number of any of the three consumer reporting companies below to place a fraud alert on your credit report. You only need to contact one of the three companies to place an alert. The company you call is required to contact the other two, which will place an alert on their versions of your report, too. If you do not receive a confirmation from a company, you should contact that company directly to place a fraud alert.
  • Once you place the fraud alert in your file, you're entitled to order one free copy of your credit report from each of the three consumer reporting companies, and, if you ask, only the last four digits of your Social Security number will appear on your credit reports. Once you get your credit reports, review them carefully. Look for inquiries from companies you haven't contacted, accounts you didn't open, and debts on your accounts that you can't explain. Check that information, like your Social Security number, address(es), name or initials, and employers are correct. If you find fraudulent or inaccurate information, get it removed. See Correcting Fraudulent Information in Credit Reports to learn how. When you correct your credit report, use an Identity Theft Report with a cover letter explaining your request, to get the fastest and most complete results. Continue to check your credit reports periodically, especially for the first year after you discover the identity theft, to make sure no new fraudulent activity has occurred.

Close the accounts that you know, or believe, have been tampered with or opened fraudulently

• Call and speak with someone in the security or fraud department of each company. Follow up in writing, and include copies (NOT originals) of supporting documents. It's important to notify credit card companies and banks in writing. Send your letters by certified mail, return receipt requested, so you can document what the company received and when. Keep a file of your correspondence and enclosures.
  • When you open new accounts, use new Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) and passwords. Avoid using easily available information like your mother's maiden name, your birth date, the last four digits of your Social Security number or your phone number, or a series of consecutive numbers.
  • If the identity thief has made charges or debits on your accounts, or has fraudulently opened accounts, ask the company for the forms to dispute those transactions:
    • For charges and debits on existing accounts, ask the representative to send you the company's fraud dispute forms. If the company doesn't have special forms, use the sample letter to dispute the fraudulent charges or debits. In either case, write to the company at the address given for "billing inquiries," NOT the address for sending your payments.
    • For new unauthorized accounts, you can either file a dispute directly with the company or file a report with the police and provide a copy, called an "Identity Theft Report," to the company.
      • If you want to file a dispute directly with the company, and do not want to file a report with the police, ask if the company accepts the FTC's ID Theft Affidavit (PDF, 56 KB). If it does not, ask the representative to send you the company's fraud dispute forms.
      • However, filing a report with the police and then providing the company with an Identity Theft Report will give you greater protection. For example, if the company has already reported these unauthorized accounts or debts on your credit report, an Identity Theft Report will require them to stop reporting that fraudulent information. Use the cover letter to explain to the company the rights you have by using the Identity Theft Report. More information about getting and using an Identity Theft Report can be found here.

[*]Once you have resolved your identity theft dispute with the company, ask for a letter stating that the company has closed the disputed accounts and has discharged the fraudulent debts. This letter is your best proof if errors relating to this account reappear on your credit report or you are contacted again about the fraudulent debt.[*]

File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission

• You can file a complaint with the FTC using the online complaint form; or call the FTC's Identity Theft Hotline, toll-free: 1-877-ID-THEFT (438-4338); TTY: 1-866-653-4261; or write Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580. Be sure to call the Hotline to update your complaint if you have any additional information or problems.
  • By sharing your identity theft complaint with the FTC, you will provide important information that can help law enforcement officials across the nation track down identity thieves and stop them. The FTC can refer victims' complaints to other government agencies and companies for further action, as well as investigate companies for violations of laws the agency enforces.
  • Additionally, you can provide a printed copy of your online Complaint form to the police to incorporate into their police report. The printed FTC ID Theft Complaint, in conjunction with the police report, can constitute an Identity Theft Report and entitle you to certain protections. This Identity Theft Report can be used to (1) permanently block fraudulent information from appearing on your credit report; (2) ensure that debts do not reappear on your credit report; (3) prevent a company from continuing to collect debts that result from identity theft; and (4) place an extended fraud alert on your credit report.

File a report with your local police or the police in the community where the identity theft took place.

• Call your local police department and tell them that you want to file a report about your identity theft. Ask them if you can file the report in person. If you cannot, ask if you can file a report over the Internet or telephone. See below for information about Automated Reports.<br style="text-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.0078125) 0px 0px 1px; ">If the police are reluctant to take your report, ask to file a "Miscellaneous Incident" report, or try another jurisdiction, like your state police. You also can check with your state Attorney General's office to find out if state law requires the police to take reports for identity theft. Check the Blue Pages of your telephone directory for the phone number or check www.naag.org for a list of state Attorneys General.
  • When you go to your local police department to file your report, bring a printed copy of your FTC ID Theft Complaint form, your cover letter, and your supporting documentation. The cover letter explains why a police report and an ID Theft Complaint are so important to victims.
  • Ask the officer to attach or incorporate the ID Theft Complaint into their police report. Tell them that you need a copy of the Identity Theft Report (the police report with your ID Theft Complaint attached or incorporated)to dispute the fraudulent accounts and debts created by the identity thief. (In some jurisdictions the officer will not be able to give you a copy of the official police report, but should be able to sign your Complaint and write the police report number in the "Law Enforcement Report" section.)

It's also important to remember that since you can't access PSN, you can't change your PSN password, so if you always use the same passwords online, you might want to change those passwords immediately as well as just another precautionary measure. We'll be bringing you more news as it develops, so stay tuned. For now though, be sure to check out our <a href="http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/712152/PlayStation-Network-Hack-FAQ-What-We-Know.html" style="text-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.0078125) 0px 0px 1px; color: rgb(255, 153, 51); text-decoration: none; ">PlayStation Network Hack FAQ: What We Know for all of the most recent info.

<br style="text-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.0078125) 0px 0px 1px; "><br style="text-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.0078125) 0px 0px 1px; ">Read more: http://www.g4tv.com/.../#ixzz1KgjEihVD

Edited by Itchy Koala

all they did since cracking the ps3's security is fuck with everyone else's stuff. I don't care how many people want to defend these hackers

Most people on AA don't defend these jack-asses.

I can understand an old school gamer, their minds are set in the past when we weren't all networked together and you couldn't do something like this from the comforts of your home. They still think people should be able to do whatever they want with their equipment. They defend these people because they are stuck in the past they just see it as tinkering, be curious to see what they think of this BS, tinkering is exactly why this happened. The rest of the folks defending this shit they just defend it because they don't want their easy freebies to go away.

In the end, even if you are someone who only "tinkers", know you're in the extreme minority, most hackers are nothing more than pirate scumbags who want to play the latest games for free and rip people off. Pure and simple. Defending them at all, for whatever weak reasons you can produce, or enabling them to get to this point is just lame. :thumbsdown:

My sentiments, moycon. I'm no tinkerer myself, but I support the minority of tinkerers who are using PS3 homebrew for the greater good to give us good things. These are the only ones I defend (the academic, benign tinkerers).

But far as I'm concerned, these malicious hackers can go power drill their eardrums out. Yes, I've said in the past that people should be able to do what they want with the stuff they bought. But I have always, always, ALWAYS added the caveat that these things should be done within the confines of the law. They absolutely do not have the right to break the law and abuse the system by malicious actions such as they've done here. It makes the rest of the good tinkerers look bad, and it causes game companies to feel compelled to take away consumer rights. It's bad all way around for everyone concerned.

I whole-heartedly condemn the actions of these hackers, and I hope they are found and punished to the full extent the law allows. They deserve it.

Really a bummer all around.

Both that hackers (likely) attacked user data, and that whichever flavor of sony runs PSN failed to protect its users. Not just the latest hit on personal info either, but they really needed to keep the rest of the online experience clean as well.

I haven't quite figured out how I want this to all to end yet either. It's awfully hard for me to 'want' the playstation brand to succeed these days. Though it would certainly be nice to get a few extra years out of my only current console.

Edited by Reaperman

Really a bummer all around.

Both that hackers (likely) attacked user data, and that whichever flavor of sony runs PSN failed to protect its users. Not just the latest hit on personal info either, but they really needed to keep the rest of the online experience clean as well.

I haven't quite figured out how I want this to all to end yet either. It's awfully hard for me to 'want' the playstation brand to succeed these days. Though it would certainly be nice to get a few extra years out of my only current console.

Why wouldn't you want Playstation to succeed? You only want Xbox and Wii? Or a monopoly?

Looks like some info might have been compromised, hopefully this helps anyone with info linked to their account...

Yep...mainstream picked up on the story now:

http://www.foxnews.c...ed-hack-attack/

QUOTE: Hackers may have obtained users' names, home addresses, addresses, birthdates, PlayStation usernames and passwords, and answers to password security questions, according to the blog post.

There was no evidence that credit card information had been compromised, but Sony said it "cannot rule out the possibility" that hackers could access such information.

and here:

http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=T1

Just one more reason I am thankful that I don't place any credit cards on file - online!!! I hope they catch those hackers and hang em by their thumbs! icon_mad.gif

• Like 1