IGNORED

History of Alone in the Dark

cimerians

Thanks for posting that. I always liked the Alone in the Dark games (well, the first three at least). I loved the flat-shaded polygon characters against the hand-drawn backgrounds. I know they did it for technical reasons but I think it trumps an all-3D environment any day of the week and I think that's why I never quite got into the later games or Resident Evil series, and it wasn't for a lack of trying. The abstract character representations leave more for the imagination and makes it more scary, in my opinion. The static camera angles were genius and the music in the games was also really good. I especially like the third with the western-style tunes. The minimal audio cues and sound effects really added to the atmosphere. I still have the original trilogy for Macintosh. I never did finish any of them without requiring a walk-through about mid-way through the game, though. They're pretty tough. Anyway, it's good to see the guy who conceived the game getting the recognition he deserves. :thumbsup:

I grabbed them too. 6 bucks and they run perfect for me on Win7 64bit.

I played the Dreamcast game. Was ok and I also played the PS3 version which was OK but still not as good as the originals.

Even with blocky old polygon graphics the old games are still kind of creepy.