IGNORED

Intellivision Game Reviews

Rev

I actually agree with the majority of his reviews, though the ones I disagree with, I feel pretty strongly about. AD&D: Cloudy Mountain, Tower of Doom, Frog Bog, and Utopia should all be at least A-minus -- Frog Bog and Utopia certainly are better than C+ games!

And he completely doesn't get Sewer Sam, though in fairness it took me a while to figure it out. He makes some factual mistakes in his review (you don't need to find a rocket launcher weapon, that's part of the subs themselves).

At the other end of the spectrum, I think he overrates Sharp Shot, Donkey Kong Jr., and Mouse Trap, among others.

Edited by thegoldenband

It's definitely the first place I go when I'm contemplating buying a game. He has his prejudices -- he likes easy-to-play, straightforward games, and dislikes anything that's cerebral or has a learning curve -- but if you know how to take them into account, his information is good. Sometimes his scathing reviews point me to a game that I'll actually like, i.e. Panic for Sega CD, or Sword of Sodan for Genesis.

BTW agreed that White Water also deserves a better grade!

Edited by thegoldenband

This site is actually what made me want to buy an Intellivision, the screenshots of the games and all the info on it.

I've known about the Critic since 1999... the site used to only have Atari 2600 reviews and was called, (Dave's video game reviews) he took one of my suggestions, in putting A-Z at the bottom of his game reviews, so you can flip around to different pages to find a specific game by letter!

I also got him to change a few grades on some games.

He's the best reviewer in my opinion, because he doesn't get offended by people trying to change his mind or disagreeing.

I never played White Water but C seems pretty strict and low.

Utopia C+ is OK, but doesn't reflect the nostaliga and novelty factor.

I'd go with B or B+ on that one. To me, it would get an A! IF there was a smart computer player to go against, rather then just seeing the other guys land fall apart.

SNAFU is a bit low with C. That games got some nice features I'd say B.

Vectron D doesn't do this game justice at all, it's complex but VERY addicting. B- to me.

Microsurgeon, although it's more simulator then shooter... it should merit a C+ range, not D.

Sub Hunt It stands at a D, it could be higher that game is OLD but GOOD. C at least.

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

I actually agree with the majority of his reviews, though the ones I disagree with, I feel pretty strongly about. AD&D: Cloudy Mountain, Tower of Doom, Frog Bog, and Utopia should all be at least A-minus -- Frog Bog and Utopia certainly are better than C+ games!

At the other end of the spectrum, I think he overrates Sharp Shot, Donkey Kong Jr., and Mouse Trap, among others.

Hmmm, Tower of Doom got B+ so it's only off by a half a checkmark. Cloudy Mountain... might be superior, but I never felt like playing it much yet. I'd say both D&D games are an even B.

I don't think Mouse Trap is overrated. It's WAY more exciting and fun then the Atari 2600 translation. I hated Mouse Trap at first on Intellivision but when I got used to the controls, I LOVE it now!!!! It's one of my favorites now. Have a good time trying to beat my best score.

Sharp Shot is good... it gets better the more you play it. Although,

it does feel a bit generic. Simple gameplay but it has no flaws at all.

Frog Bog to me is around a C+ because it's pretty one note and boring with only one player. I don't see whats so great about 2600's Frogs 'n Flies either though. Catching flies big deal :ponder: Mattel could have put more into these games. They seem half-baked.

Donkey Kong Jr. I haven't played it yet.

D- for Triple Action I think not! Biplanes is one of my all time favorite games and a C+ for baseball is way low

I Agree, as a kid (and adult too) the best 2 player games for me are Triple action ( First Biplanes, second the Tanks and the race cars are out) Snafu, and Baseball. Baseball was a big hit for the Intellivision here in my country, Is the #1 sports here.

D- for Triple Action I think not! Biplanes is one of my all time favorite games and a C+ for baseball is way low

I Agree, as a kid (and adult too) the best 2 player games for me are Triple action ( First Biplanes, second the Tanks and the race cars are out) Snafu, and Baseball. Baseball was a big hit for the Intellivision here in my country, Is the #1 sports here.

I believe I have played approximately 750 billion games of baseball on the INTV across the three version of baseball.

I believe I have played approximately 750 billion games of baseball on the INTV across the three version of baseball.

I always get beat by m older brothers, until I found a trick with the disc to pitch strikes every time. but the first time a pull out a perfect pitch game, they never play again anymore :P

I forget to trick, btw. I only remember that I move the disc from top to bottom while pitching..

Yeah, sounds like he had a bad time playing Biplanes... but with holding the disc you won't crash. Just takes like 2 mins to learn how to keep the planes up...

they didn't! Its a cool game. Tanks isn't that bad, a "Combat wannabe"??

Combats not all that... its pretty much the same thing IMO.

Baseball, at least gives a reason for the C+ the pitching cheat and a few flaws... World Championship Baseball got an A- I think makes up for the C+ of the earlier version.

All my favorite games he doesn't give good marks :(

Astrosmash: D? Common!

Only a C for bombsquad! That game is awesome!

Space Spartans is a masterpeice! He ranked space battle higher? grrr!

But B- for Tron is unforgivable. I'm going to go play tron now.

Edit:

"Every few waves a large horseshoe-shaped boss makes a dramatic entrance"

This guy is going to give me an aneurysm.

Edited by crade

All my favorite games he doesn't give good marks :(

Astrosmash: D? Common!

Only a C for bombsquad! That game is awesome!

Space Spartans is a masterpeice! He ranked space battle higher? grrr!

But B- for Tron is unforgivable. I'm going to go play tron now.

Edit:

"Every few waves a large horseshoe-shaped boss makes a dramatic entrance"

This guy is going to give me an aneurysm.

Welcome to the best place on the interwebs to talk about the INTV! :)

Good strong opinionated first post. I like that. :thumbsup:

Astrosmash is awesome, and deserves an A in my books as well. As my avatar might hint at, I think Tron DD is killer as well.

Welcome to the best place on the interwebs to talk about the INTV! :)

Good strong opinionated first post. I like that. :thumbsup:

Astrosmash is awesome, and deserves an A in my books as well. As my avatar might hint at, I think Tron DD is killer as well.

Thanks! It was actually a bit tough to find!