IGNORED

Transformers: Search for Energon

Facemeat

Hey folks, finally returned to programming recently, and I just finished my first game since returning - Transformers: Search for Energon. I put together a little manual for it, so I'll let that do the talking. :)

tfmanual.jpg

Let me know what you all think of it, and also let me know if it's too difficult (or easy). Thanks! :)

transformersfinal.bas.bin

• Like 2

Thought you might want to know that Reset doesn't work.

Is that considered an essential feature? Towards the end, I was running very low on memory, and I had to cut some minor things, so adding in features that didn't directly help gameplay was pretty much out of the question. Even now, I'd only have 36 bytes to work with, but I'll see what I can do.

• Like 1

Is that considered an essential feature?

It is if you want people to be able to reset the game while playing and start over:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-standards-and-procedures.html

Towards the end, I was running very low on memory . . .

I was running out of variables in a game I was working on, and I was told I could get more, along with more space too:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/173190-seaweed-assault/page__p__2148589#entry2148589

Thought you might want to know that Reset doesn't work.

Is that considered an essential feature? Towards the end, I was running very low on memory, and I had to cut some minor things, so adding in features that didn't directly help gameplay was pretty much out of the question. Even now, I'd only have 36 bytes to work with, but I'll see what I can do.

I would consider this an essential feature. I don't know Batari Basic, but if you could use some inline assembly than this should be easy:

lsr   SWCHB
  bcs   .noReset
  brk
.noReset:

That takes six bytes. If the break vector is not set the same as the start then you'll have to use "jmp START" to whatever address your start is instead of "brk". That would bring the total to eight bytes.

Edited by Omegamatrix