IGNORED

Mock up of the Wii2 controller

Rev

Will nintendo stop messing around with crap like that and make a regular maybe gamecube style controller. Its better than the wiimote, but still looks dumb.

I don't want to controll my wii2 with an ipad-looking thing.

Controllers now days already cost like 50$, what is this going to cost? 125$ per controller?

I don't know about this

• Like 1

This seems like a logical progression given Nintendo's history. Remember when we could use GameBoy Advances to control GameCube games? Zelda: Four Swords Adventures is a blast. The GBA screen was each player's personal monitor for when their player entered a cave. It's a cool idea I'd like to see explored further.

• Like 2

I'm worried that they would use that touch screen like they did for SSF4 on the 3DS. By that I mean use it for macro keys that take part of the challenge from the game. The other option is to use it like the DS has all along and have swiping or drawing on it be part of the control of the game. Problem there is you are having to look at your controller and not the TV that the game is being played on.

I like the idea for RPGs or other games with stats and inventory to manage. You can have that information always available on the controller instead of pulling it up over the image of the game on the screen, and touch screen inventory management could be a lot smoother then standard menu style, but how long has it been since Nintendo has a really good RPG? It could be argues that it was the SNES.

If they go this way they better do something impressive with it. The move to motion controllers was great for Nintendo, but they didn't do enough with it to make gamers happy very often. My grand father loves it, the children in the family love it, the gamers can't seem to find a good reason to care very often. Please do something impressive with your new hardware improvements this time Nintendo.

What ever happened to making a solid console with good games? Why does everything have to have a gimmick? Motion sensors, touch screens, cameras, 3-D, etc. I'm tired of it, I just want decent games. Nintendo just seems to be one gimmick after another lately.

Tempest

• Like 5

I will say there were a few times (like local multiplayer) when having a screen on a controller proved handy on the old DC. There weren't many of those times, and the screen didn't have to be nice, but those times existed.

Personally I like the new screened-joystick mockups I've seen better than the 3ds. Maybe I can just buy one of those and game on it. I'll stencil "Gameboy" on mine, and the whole experience will slide down a lot easier.

Edited by Reaperman

I'm worried that they would use that touch screen like they did for SSF4 on the 3DS. By that I mean use it for macro keys that take part of the challenge from the game.

Why would you be worried about completely optional control schemes that make games accessible? The way they have done Super SF4 is absolutely perfect. There are hotkeys if I want them, but if I don't I obviously just won't. If playing online you can choose to not play against people using hotkeys if you want to.

All games should be set up like this so that I can play how I want and with people who play like me if I want to.

Having control of game difficulty and control options doesn't take away the challenge of the game, they make it awesome.

What ever happened to making a solid console with good games? Why does everything have to have a gimmick? Motion sensors, touch screens, cameras, 3-D, etc. I'm tired of it, I just want decent games. Nintendo just seems to be one gimmick after another lately.

Tempest

Because purely solid, good games don't appeal to todays a.d.d. ravaged, quickly bored youth. They need gimmicks to distract from the fact that what they're playing is essentially s**t. Perfume on a pig as they say.

• Like 1

I think a lot of us had the fantasy of being able to easily draw maps, take notes and whatever back in the day. But now that we have the tech to do so, there aren't any bleeping games where it would even mildly be necessary. For every 2 steps forward that tech has taken, actual game design has taken 4 steps back. We should be having such massive rpgs and whatnot now that maps/notes are a necessity. These days the rpgs are as linear as the shooters.

• Like 2

Will nintendo stop messing around with crap like that and make a regular maybe gamecube style controller. Its better than the wiimote, but still looks dumb.

[snip]

I don't know about this

Keep in mind, these pics are shopped pictures by Kotaku users, not actual Nintendo products.