IGNORED

Space Harrier Atari XLXE - Pre-Final Release

Kjmann

The sound really has gone bad, compared to the early state. The "music" surpresses the digital sound. If you don't know there is some speech, you possibly wouldn't recognize it.

Back in the early state there was the impressive speech, the action, and some "ok"ish music. The presentation was really nice...

A funeral of what's got lost ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K254b2V0qAA

This port of Space Harrier is one of the best A8 games of all times! Congratulations!!!

The sound really has gone bad, compared to the early state. The "music" surpresses the digital sound. If you don't know there is some speech, you possibly wouldn't recognize it.

Back in the early state there was the impressive speech, the action, and some "ok"ish music. The presentation was really nice...

A funeral of what's got lost ....

Bla, bla, bla, bla, bla....

Emkay, do you know what is your biggest problem? You have no RESPECT for everyone who is not doing things in your way. You have shown that so many times and I really wonder if anybody here on AA cares what you say. I do not.

F.

• Like 1

Emkay, do you know what is your biggest problem? You have no RESPECT for everyone who is not doing things in your way. You have shown that so many times and I really wonder if anybody here on AA cares what you say. I do not.

What to say? You cared once .... one time.... what I was supposing, and you (we) made 1st place at the ABBUC contest.

It's a sad thing that people ignore relevant things or simply forget them.

Awesome to hear that it's nearly finished :thumbsup:

Well, about the music: I can clearly hear that kjmann's edit of the tune is better than the prehistoric dummy tune in the vid emkay linked to.

But, I'd indeed like to suggest some finetuning of the ratio between the volume levels of the music & the digi sfx. The digi sfx gets a bit pushed away by the music. I would try to put it more in front. So, I'd lower the volume of most instruments of the music.

Of course it's a pity I had too less time to suggest music improvements. On the other hand, nobody asked me anything (in general) last years, except kjmann himself, a few months ago. Knowing about pokey capabilities today, I think it should be possible to put far more expression into the tunes. But, against what price: a handbook of building a new full-supporting pokey tracker is the first thing needed, and then teach anyone who's interested to build really awesome pokey tracks.

But, until now, let's say it's all a result of homebrew work, so it's already good enough.

Now I may have misunderstood, but is there only going to be a paid for version released? I was thinking that there was going to be a free version, but that you could buy the full package at a cost? Is that so or have I misunderstood?

Sheddy wrote once that the program will be free, I guess only the cartridge version will cost some $ .

Now I may have misunderstood, but is there only going to be a paid for version released? I was thinking that there was going to be a free version, but that you could buy the full package at a cost? Is that so or have I misunderstood?

Good question. I do have 2 Atarimax flashcartridges, 1 MByte each, so in theory I've enough space to burn (a free version of) space harrier into one of these.

(not that much money now :sad: )

But, I'd indeed like to suggest some finetuning of the ratio between the volume levels of the music & the digi sfx. The digi sfx gets a bit pushed away by the music. I would try to put it more in front. So, I'd lower the volume of most instruments of the music.

That's the point.

To make a better presentation, the best has to stand in the foreground. So the game can impress with the clean graphics and movement.

Then the DIGIs , played at the right moment and volume.

And, as we have to live with the "music" , it simply had to be a bit lower on volume than the DIGIs. People WILL turn volume down, until the sounds do not dirsturb the gameplay. Which means, the digis will not be recognized.

I haven't done much testing with Stereo POKEY, except on emulator, and didn't really notice how quiet it is (7 channels against 1 digi). The digi certainly isn't as unbalanced on single POKEY (only 3 channels against 1 digi). I'll have a look and see if I can change things for the better. There's not separate songs for mono, and separate songs for stereo, so just changing volumes in the songs won't do it. Maybe make the digi write 2 channels when stereo is detected (slower of course), or use the "global volume" feature of RMT?

Edited by Sheddy
  • Like 3

Good question. I do have 2 Atarimax flashcartridges, 1 MByte each, so in theory I've enough space to burn (a free version of) space harrier into one of these.

(not that much money now :sad: )

Yep, the cart image will be free, so you'll be able to burn your own for free if you've already got a 1MB (8Mbit) maxflash cart spare

Maybe another suggestion for kjmann:

Why not use RMT-gen.E type of bass instead of C? These give a deeper sounding.

OK, they're a bit unstable, but I can try helping you with finding the way to MAKE them stable (poly reset trick!).

...Of course if desired.

I am using Gen E. I hardly every use Gen C as it is almost always out of tune. This song has a lot of Range to it so it's bound to suffer some issues with tuning. But I've got it as tuned as it's every going to get. I think it sounds pretty good and I am proud of the work i did on it. In any case, thanks for the suggestion Analmux. I always appreciate your input. =)

I would seriously VALUE Emkay's oppinion when it comes to sound and music on the 8-bit ATARI.. I think he's more than earned that..

Not to say that anyone else in this thread's oppinion is not equally important. Lots of coding/music veterans in here.