IGNORED

Dos for atari 400/800

DOS2.5 is the defacto standard Atari produced DOS. SpartaDOS is my particular favourite, command line based and much closer in use to MSDOS. RealDOS and MyDOS are also popular picks.

Really it depends on what you want to do.

I like SpartaDOS X. Almost all games whether disk or cart do not need dos - just boot straight from the game.

The real problem will be lack of a SIO2PC (to connect your Atari to the computer), SIO2SD (to allow using a memory stick with your Atari), or some kind of hard drive.

I like SpartaDOS X. Almost all games whether disk or cart do not need dos - just boot straight from the game.

The real problem will be lack of a SIO2PC (to connect your Atari to the computer), SIO2SD (to allow using a memory stick with your Atari), or some kind of hard drive.

Thanks for the feedback, my SOI2PC will be in the mail Monday.

Hello, Getting back into this and I am wonder what DOS do you recommend using for an Atari 400 and 800?

Not clear when I read about DOS 1,2,3 etc or spartados and mydos.

Thanks

I used MyDOS on my 800 for decades. Even though I mainly use an 800XL but I still like MyDOS because frankly I don't need many features. I do a small amount coding so I only need to be able to read and write to disk. My other need is gaming. MyDOS + MyPicoDOS (game menu) combination suits that nicely.

Only SpartaDOS version 1 (1.1H? something like that) will run on 800. BeweDOS works, though, and can read/write most SpartaDOS disk format.

SDX on 800? I don't know if that works.

Hello, Getting back into this and I am wonder what DOS do you recommend using for an Atari 400 and 800?

It depends on how much memory the computer has. SpartaDOS 3.2/RealDOS won't work, because they need the RAM under the ROM, which only XL/XEs have. For a 48k machine MyDOS will be the best I guess. If the 800 has 128k or more, SpartaDOS X is the best choice.

SpartaDOS X minimal requirements is 48k to startup, but it will only leave about 24k RAM free out of that. So technically it should work, but would be useless anyway. If the 800 has an Axlon RAM extension, it should work almost equally well as on a 130XE. But the latest versions haven't been tested with such hardware, because 800s are quite rare in Europe, and I never heard of anyone having 800 with Axlon extension.

You don't see Top Dos mentioned here too frequently here. I also liked and used it for several years, but moved to MyDos when I got my first hard drive (MIO) back in the late eighties.

Which version(s) do you use?

-Larry

I always loved TopDOS. That was an excellent DOS.

You don't see Top Dos mentioned here too frequently here. I also liked and used it for several years, but moved to MyDos when I got my first hard drive (MIO) back in the late eighties.

-Larry

I always loved TopDOS. That was an excellent DOS.

It is an 800 with 48k so looks like MyDos it will will be, thanks

Edited by jmmhooper

Unless you have some kind of special requirements, use DOS 2.0S. All the 'old' products use it and there are lots of books for it, as well as tons of utilities and code.

Bob

Not clear when I read about DOS 1,2,3 etc or spartados and mydos.

Thanks

My brother also hacked it to work with his Happy drive speeder upper thingy. :D

We used to do a lot of hacking on the Atari back in the early/mid 80s. It was a lot of fun. :)

SmartDos -- probably 6.x. Last version that I heard about was 8.2.

BTW, I always liked the nice bright blue screen they chose. :)

-Larry

I'm just getting back into this too, and the thread jogged something in my memory. I seem to remember using a DOS back in the day that was made by Rana Systems maybe? Was that TopDOS?

post-8008-0-79170000-1304557061_thumb.jpg

Anyone have a Top-DOS version 1.3 download? Non-hacked? :)

My brother also hacked it to work with his Happy drive speeder upper thingy. :D

We used to do a lot of hacking on the Atari back in the early/mid 80s. It was a lot of fun. :)

-Larry

What does "OBVERT RESIDUP" mean?

SmartDOS has a Disk Utilities Package that can either be held resident in memory (RESIDUP) or turned off depending on what the user wants.

This brings back memories... :cool:

SmartDOS has a Disk Utilities Package that can either be held resident in memory (RESIDUP) or turned off depending on what the user wants.

So in this case, obvert means turn it off? Or toggle it?

--Kurt

SmartDOS....that's the one! There was some specific reason why I liked using it, but I can't remember what it was.

Maybe it was able to format disks so you'd get 720 sectors instead of 707? Does that sound right?

SmartDOS....that's the one! There was some specific reason why I liked using it, but I can't remember what it was.

Maybe it was able to format disks so you'd get 720 sectors instead of 707? Does that sound right?

No. It was generally a DOS 2 style disk - 707 free I believe.

EDIT: I had to go check it - 707 free.

SpartaDOS X minimal requirements is 48k to startup, but it will only leave about 24k RAM free out of that. So technically it should work, but would be useless anyway. If the 800 has an Axlon RAM extension, it should work almost equally well as on a 130XE. But the latest versions haven't been tested with such hardware, because 800s are quite rare in Europe, and I never heard of anyone having 800 with Axlon extension.

cool!

I was curious about this ability. I tried to use an SDX image in Atari800 emulator (2.2.1). It worked but I can't figure out how to enable the Axlon support. Atari800 tells me wrong memory size no matter what amount I choose.

The exercise is moot since I neither have an SDX cartridge (or SDX capable cartridge) or an Axlon upgrade for my 800.

Edited by a8isa1

SmartDOS was the earliest double density DOS, before MyDOS and SpartaDOS. It was made by the Rana drive people.

So in this case, obvert means turn it off? Or toggle it?

--Kurt

Toggle it, the RESIDUP status is up at the top of the screen.