IGNORED

What's the best Pokemon game for the DS or Gameboy Advance?...

Are you planning to play them all or do you just want to play a Pokemon game?

If you want to play them all, start with Ruby or Sapphire. If you just want to play a Pokemon game, get Black or White.

WARNING! If you start with a DS game, it will hard for you to go back and play one of the GBA games. The DS games have so much more to do. And Black and White have a lot of online stuff too.

Pokemon Black or White for certain. Like any long term franchise, the games got slowly more complicated and bogged down with 'stuff'. Not only that, but the RPG element of each subsequent game seemed to fall further behind the battle system, favouring more pokemon over story.

I think that really changed with Black and White. We're back to just 150 Pokemon, all new, there's a good plot and a lot of the baggage has gone. They just kept all the good bits.

While the vintage game fan in me will recommend generations one (Red, Blue, Yellow) and two (Gold, Silver, Crystal) first, I should realize the original Pokemon games probably don't compare in any way to the more recent installments. Do what the others say, get a game from generations four (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum) or five (Black, White, Gray?).

Me on the other hand, like most on this site, I fear and despise anything new and/or different, so I will never, ever go further than generation 2. Things get too complicated for me by Gen 3, let alone 4. There's damn near 500 Pokemon in Diamond / Pearl! That's not even counting stuff like breeding or the shiny variants.

Edited by Koopa64

For an introductory level Pokemon Game, I'd say the Leafgreen/Firered iterations for the GBAdvance. It is the original story from the Gameboy Era, but it's prettier to look at, and can be played on readily available hardware. The other reason I recommend those two is the lack of a timer associated with the game. The other Pokemon titles have events that occur during the day or at night or on certain days. Sometimes I can't play these games (like at work) and when I get home and usually during the weekend, the last thing I'm thinking to myself is: "How are my Pokemans?" :)

Black/White have been good so far IMO, but I'm not that very far into the game.

Hex.

[ Had an interesting modern gaming realization today. I want to process that thought... it is a fascinating thought that never occurred to me before. ]

Platinum is the only one i've ever played other than the original Blue, so I would suggest that. or you wait for the new one that mixes Black & White with added content because you know it's coming. i've also read great things about Emerald but i've never played it.