IGNORED

High Score Club 9.10 Tapper

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

You are a frenzied bartender trying to keep the never ending flow of thirsty customers well watered. You'll have to keep slinging beers and occasionally guess which cans of beer the Beer Bandit has shaken.

As if that's not enough work for one bartender, try covering four different bars with a different crazy crowd in each bar. There's the Old West Saloon, the Jock Bar, the Punk Rock Bar, and the Space Bar.

Keep the sodas coming, but not too fast. You'd better be sure you've got a customer without a drink at the bar or the drink will slide right off the bar and no self-respecting bartender throws drinks away. Keep your eyes open for the empties the customers sling back your way.

tapper-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: Tapper
  • Released By: Sega, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert (Arcade Difficulty Level)
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice (Arcade Difficulty Level)
  • Game Mode: Default

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday May 18th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Tapmaster - Score 70,000 points or higher, and you'll get 3 bonus points.
  • Tall Cold One - Post a picture of yourself holding a big mug of beer, and you'll get 2 bonus points (If you're underage, or just don't drink beer, then root beer will also be considered an acceptable substitute).
    • Miss 2600 [+2]
    • DT Kofoed [+2]
    • Amstari [+2]
    • JacobZu7zu7 [+2]
    • classicgamer_27330 [+2]
    • Vocelli [+2]
    • Frostbite76 [+2]
    • keilbaca [+2]
    • toymailman [+2]
    • Jifremok [+2]

Current High Scores
  1. 158,850 (oyamafamily) [+11][+3]
  2. 137,975 (keilbaca) [+10][+3]
  3. 91,150 (Stan) [+9][+3]
  4. 90,825 (toymailman) [+8][+3]
  5. 81,200 (Vocelli) [+7][+3]
  6. 80,050 (Gorfy) [+6][+3]
  7. 75,550 (Frostbite76) [+5][+3]
  8. 74,200 (JacobZu7zu7) [+4][+3]
  9. 71,925 (DT Kofoed) [+3][+3]
  10. 71,125 (Jifremok) [+2][+3]
  11. 71,025 (Miss 2600) [+1][+3]
  12. 54,250 (Scrabbler15) [+1]
  13. 40,375 (Zach) [+1]
  14. 32,650 (roadrunner) [+1]
  15. 30,150 (classicgamer_27330) [+1]
  16. 28,425 (Buck) [+1]
  17. 27,300 (4Ks) [+1]
  18. 18,275 (Amstari) [+1]
  19. 4250 (MIKE5200) [+1]

Best Tips
  • oyamafamily [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 982,725 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 228,775 (Christian L Keilback)
  3. 136,050 (Stephen Knox) (Emulator)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. JacobZu7zu7 [133]up.gif
  2. oyamafamily [124]down.gif
  3. toymailman [117]
  4. Vocelli [96]
  5. Frostbite76 [83]
  6. Deteacher [76]
  7. Gorfy [65]
  8. classicgamer_27330 [50]up.gif
  9. SpiceWare [48]down.gif
  10. Scrabbler15 [45]
  11. pis [38]
  12. Amstari [37]
  13. Miss 2600 [34]
  14. roadrunner [24]up.gif
  15. DT Kofoed [22]up.gif
  16. keilbaca [22]down.gif
  17. Stan [20]up.gif
  18. Cynicaster [20]down.gif
  19. SeaGtGruff [20]down.gif
  20. cparsley [17]up.gif
  21. HatefulGravey [17]up.gif
  22. Mister VCS [16]down.gif
  23. Curious Sofa [16]down.gif
  24. centiqueen81 [15]down.gif
  25. LarcenTyler [13]down.gif
  26. Krytol [12]down.gif
  27. pokeplayer984 [12]down.gif
  28. zylon [10]
  29. Wickeycolumbus [6]
  30. littleman jack [6]
  31. atarigal [5]
  32. Cortat G [5]
  33. bennybingo [5]
  34. atariUCLA24 [3]
  35. SpaceDice2010 [2]
  36. Mangia-Boy [1]
  37. rmaerz [1]
  38. Cream147 [1]
  39. MIKE5200 [1]
  40. theKLT [1]
  41. DickNixonArisen [1]
  42. leematari [1]

Scoring Points in Tapper
  • Get Cowboy/girl out of Door - 50 points
  • Get Sportsperson out of Door - 75 points
  • Get Punk Rocker out of Door - 100 points
  • Get Space Creature out of Door - 150 points
  • Catch an Empty Mug - 100 points
  • Complete screen (get all customers out) - 1,000 points
  • Complete Bonus Rack - 3,000 points
  • Earn one extra life after your first 20,000 points and another life for each additional 50,000 points.

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide any specific hints.

We played this game twice before in the High Score Club, back in Season 4 and in Season 1. You may want to check out those threads for more information.

keilbaca

The game has a limitation that only three (or four, I don't quite remember off the top of my head) drinks can be on the tables at the same time, on one table. This includes empty glasses. So, if you wonder why you can only throw one drink when two are on the table, then you end up throwing one too many because you're happy on the fire button... that's why.

The key to the bonus level is to relax your eyes, and only pay attention to the one that you are supposed to.

oyamafamily

See oyamafamily's in-depth tips in this post.

Stan

I've found that the way I do that bonus round might be the key. Try not to focus on the can itself. I zone my eyes out and look at all of the cans while following the one you need to. This seems to be the way I do it, but I have a good eye for this kind of thing so it might just be an inborn thing or something, but I paid attention last time and that's how I myself do it. Try it!

This is the tactic I've used to get mega high awesome scores. Quite simple. First few rounds don't really matter. Once you get to roughly the second round of the first wave, do the following. ALWAYS chuck two mugs QUICKLY to each row. You need to do this very smoothly as quickly as possible. With each second glass, quickly move to the next row below as soon as you chuck it. Do the same thing again. Keep doing this until you've done it to each row, coming from the top for the last two as you move down from the bottom row up. Then, chuck one more for each row (at first you won't need to in certain rows, but eventually you will every row). That takes everyone out very quickly each time if you get the rhythm down. At times you'll get glasses coming back at you. DO NOT run forwards for them. Just let them come and catch them before they hit the floor. Worry about chucking glasses and get the falling ones at the last possible moment. Don't bother running because you'll get into trouble. Sometimes, it just so happens that the program is against you and there's nothing you can do about it, but it rarely happens every time you start the level again, usually only once or twice.

--Zero

Ok..

I remember playing this one at the arcade.

It was right beside another game that you could chop down trees using the joystick. I think that one was called Lumberjack or something like that. I played the lumberjack game more than Tapper.

Anyways I thought I would get a score in because the rest of my week is jammed. I won't get to play again until Sunday.

Vocelli: Diff 'A'

I will post pics after Sundays/Monday Tapper marathon.

Good luck.

The game has a limitation that only three (or four, I don't quite remember off the top of my head) drinks can be on the tables at the same time, on one table. This includes empty glasses. So, if you wonder why you can only throw one drink when two are on the table, then you end up throwing one too many because you're happy on the fire button... that's why.

This is one of my personal favorite games, and I can't wait to tear into this one. Its been a while... I wonder if I can break my TG score. :)

Sweet, I just got this game in from another member here. I haven't played it much but I have sucked out load at every game this season so far so whats one more?

Oh, and Todd Rogers really needs to get a job! I think he has held the record for every game this season.

Ok..

I remember playing this one at the arcade.

It was right beside another game that you could chop down trees using the joystick. I think that one was called Lumberjack or something like that. I played the lumberjack game more than Tapper.

Yes, the game you're thinking of is "Timber." I, too, played that a lot more than Tapper, but they're both excellent games. :)

Yikes! The "Tapmaster" challenge looks pretty tough. Below is a list of the previous scores for the last two times this game was played.

Season-Week-Setting Score (player)

---------------------------------------------

1-24 (AA-Expert) 228,775 (keilbaca)

4-11 (AB-Arcade) 97,550 (keilbaca)

4-11 (AB-Arcade) 73,025 (128bytes)

1-24 (AA-Expert) 66,825 (Malc74)

1-24 (AA-Expert) 57,200 (tin)

1-24 (AA-Expert) 56,500 (sku_u)

4-11 (AB-Arcade) 56,000 (vdub_bobby)

4-11 (AB-Arcade) 54,625 (Rom Hunter)

4-11 (AB-Arcade) 54,125 (SpiceWare)

1-24 (AA-Expert) 47,675 (Keir)

1-24 (AA-Expert) 42,600 (Goochman)

1-24 (AA-Expert) 39,850 (gospeedde)

1-24 (AA-Expert) 38,850 (elviticus)

4-11 (AB-Arcade) 34,750 (LarcenTyler)

1-24 (AA-Expert) 33,275 (therealred5)

1-24 (AA-Expert) 30,050 (Ze_ro)

1-24 (AA-Expert) 30,000 (khryssun)

4-11 (AB-Arcade) 28,200 (Goochman)

4-11 (AB-Arcade) 27,950 (scogey)

1-24 (AA-Expert) 27,225 (RadioFSoftware)

4-11 (AB-Arcade) 22,175 (Cybergoth)

1-24 (AA-Expert) 21,900 (Gamemaster_ca_2003)

4-11 (AB-Arcade) 15,825 (doctorclu)

1-24 (AA-Expert) 15,275 (Kepone)

1-24 (AA-Expert) 12,400 (Dan Iacovelli)

No pics; need a new memory card for the camera. I guess I'll switch to emulator so I can get screenshots in the future (assuming I score higher than this, which is a big assumption. The game gets incredibly difficult when they have bars facing in opposite directions)

ok i got the hang of it, annoying...

the punk crowd keeps sending the drinks back, had only 1 customer left,

and then they all come back... 'STRESS' :x

Getting better and done for tonight,

this job is tiring lol. ;)

post-3059-0-22502400-1305159083_thumb.jpg

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

REMEMBER THE SPECIAL RULES FOR TAPPER:

The Left Difficulty Switch selects your Starting Score: 0 in B position, and 10K in A position.

The Right Difficulty Switch selects your Starting Number of Lives: 5 in B position, and 3 in A position.

Edited by oyamafamily

Is the Tapper end label supposed to be upside down?

Yeah, for some reason Sega did all their 2600 games like this.

Nah, not all... I'm looking at Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator on my shelf just now, and I know I've seen Sub Scan and Tac-Scan games printed upright.

Another favorite game from my youth (I wish I had more time to play).

I remember being able to move and fling drinks very smoothly but, when playing now, the button doesn't always trigger a drink. The controls are not a smooth as I remember.

Also, I notice on the table second from the top, a patron will appear above the drink dispenser. I don't remember that. Is anyone else seeing that? I wonder if it is my cartridge. During one of my game plays, the screen flashed several times during later levels which was very annoying. I may have fixed that after checking the hook-ups, but I'm not sure.

I guess one of the keys is getting the Mountain Dew rounds. I try following the unshaken can, but it is hard. They move so fast. I think I get as many right by guessing as I do actually knowing where the can ends ups.

post-2105-0-29409900-1305243964_thumb.jpg

So close to Tapmaster--Ugh!, Oh well, I can at least get the other bonus...

Thought I'd add a Pac-Man mug and Atari jacket to the photo. I accidentally covered up my Tapper cartridge on the counter.

post-2105-0-60390200-1305244038_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Another favorite game from my youth (I wish I had more time to play).

I remember being able to move and fling drinks very smoothly but, when playing now, the button doesn't always trigger a drink. The controls are not a smooth as I remember.

Also, I notice on the table second from the top, a patron will appear above the drink dispenser. I don't remember that. Is anyone else seeing that? I wonder if it is my cartridge. During one of my game plays, the screen flashed several times during later levels which was very annoying. I may have fixed that after checking the hook-ups, but I'm not sure.

I guess one of the keys is getting the Mountain Dew rounds. I try following the unshaken can, but it is hard. They move so fast. I think I get as many right by guessing as I do actually knowing where the can ends ups.

post-2105-0-29409900-1305243964_thumb.jpg

So close to Tapmaster--Ugh!, Oh well, I can at least get the other bonus...

Thought I'd add a Pac-Man mug and Atari jacket to the photo. I accidentally covered up my Tapper cartridge on the counter.

post-2105-0-60390200-1305244038_thumb.jpg

Very nice score, this is one tough game! Maybe you'll find time to become a Tapmaster... still got almost a week to play.

ANY GOOD TIPS MISS 2600 :ponder:

Your pic... You look soooo 80's! Or in another sense

**silver future-istic** ;)

I almost sent out for an Atari jacket, but didn't because it looked

kinda dated especially with NES hitting it's stride at the time. :!: