IGNORED

Game Remake that NEEDS to be done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZht7W4HKbI

Think about it. Many games have been re-done, re-imagined etc, and yet, there are so many great titles that for one reason or another have NOT received the remake treatment. You know, that one game you lov3ed back in the day that never got a sequel or they started a sequels but it got canceled AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!! So many sequels and remakes of games that did not even deserve a second glance and there you are left wanting and waiting for a remake or sequel that never appeared!!!! Well now is your chance! Leave a comment or even a better a video response and tell me, what game, title, series should of been remade? What is the one game you are dying to see a modern remake of on current consoles / PC? OPEN TAG please respond and voice your opinion!

I watched your video about this and almost sent you a message here because I think this a great place to talk about exactly this question. Glad you did it anyway.

The first game that came to mind for me was Killer Instinct. Street Fighter 4 and Mortal Kombat have both made the 2D fighter great again and I would love to play a polished and updated KI. I would want 2D fighting with the fancy 3D look like SF and MK have now, and I agree with you about including the original on the disc as a fan service. Oh, and put Chief Thunder back in it. I hated that they removed him from KI Gold on the 64. That was pure stupid.

• Like 2

I could probably find a few if I put my mind to it, but there is one that almost automatically comes to my mind: H.E.R.O.

Why Activision hasn't capitalized on that popular classic yet, I'll never know. I can easely imagine the clautrophobic atmosphere of exploring a mineshaft on the verge of collapse, rescuing miners and bringing them back to the surface, blowing up sections of walls with dynamite to open blocked passageways, using a variety of weapons (not just the helmet laser) to kill critters that get in your way. Best of all, there could be a real storyline that would flesh out the sequence of events that happen in the game. For example, one mission could be set in a mine filled with toxic gas, and you'd need to find oxygen tanks to refill your limited air supply gear, while working to reactivate the air-purifiying system of the mine, and also looking for stranded workers. There could also be boss critter encounters (borrowing a page from Metroid Prime here, I guess). I can see all kinds of possibilities.

Simply put, a version of H.E.R.O. in full 3D would be awesome! :)

• Like 1

None. Make new games please.

I totally agree, I prefer originality myself, but sadly, like Hollywood with movies re-makes are inevitable, they are going to make them period, like it or not, some of which have been good while others horrible. So with that in mind, the point is what would people like to see re-made and modernized for a new generation of fans?

None. Make new games please.

I disagree. There are MANY games that need good quality remakes, due to various reasons. Perhaps it was only a two player game and badly needs a AI (Utopia for INTV), could really use extra features added to it to expand it, or could benift from graphics and sound upgrades. The point is, a WELL DONE remake.

• Like 2

I would love to see a re-make or at very least a good port of Ultima II, III and IV to the iPhone / Android. I couldn't think of a better game to work on the phone. It might be difficult with the keypad on the iphone (touch screen) but would def. work on a phone with a slide out keyboard!

• Like 1

Has anything been done with HEXEN in the last forever? Nothing that I'm aware of but I haven't dealt with that game in forever. I really enjoyed the game back in the day but there were limits when it was made that I felt held the game back. I would hate to see it become Elder Scrolls, but that could be avoided and still provide a very fun game with a strong story.

I would love to see a re-make or at very least a good port of Ultima II, III and IV to the iPhone / Android. I couldn't think of a better game to work on the phone. It might be difficult with the keypad on the iphone (touch screen) but would def. work on a phone with a slide out keyboard!

You posted while I was posting so I have to come back and get this.

NO! Stop making games for phones. Just stop. It hurts my heart every time I see the iPhone on a list of gaming consoles. How did we let this happen? The biggest problem is controll games on a touch screen phone like that always means covering up part of the play area with your hands as you try to control the game. At best phones should be used for casual games like Angry Birds. I just can't see trying to play a real RPG on my phone like that.

• Like 1

They did do an arcade rerelease of it called "Sega Racing Classic" (Sega doesn't have the Daytona rights anymore) which pretty much gave it HD graphics and nothing else. Not even the music remained (because of the previously mentioned lack of rights).

However, it needs a console release.

• Like 2

NO! Stop making games for phones. Just stop. It hurts my heart every time I see the iPhone on a list of gaming consoles. How did we let this happen? The biggest problem is controll games on a touch screen phone like that always means covering up part of the play area with your hands as you try to control the game. At best phones should be used for casual games like Angry Birds. I just can't see trying to play a real RPG on my phone like that.

I still have my trusty C= up and running, so I play these as they were meant to be played all the time. Although, a phone is NOT a console, I use my iPhone all the time for games (as a way of killing time on the plane/train/bus/etc.) and I would love to have one of my all time favs on there. That's all. IMHO, if they tried to do this on the Xbox or PS3, it would just end up looking like Warcraft, and I would likely be disappointed. I just love the way the old game looks and played...I only wish I could play it on the go!

• Like 2

I still have my trusty C= up and running, so I play these as they were meant to be played all the time. Although, a phone is NOT a console, I use my iPhone all the time for games (as a way of killing time on the plane/train/bus/etc.) and I would love to have one of my all time favs on there. That's all. IMHO, if they tried to do this on the Xbox or PS3, it would just end up looking like Warcraft, and I would likely be disappointed. I just love the way the old game looks and played...I only wish I could play it on the go!

Perhaps "Potty Pidgeon" needs a reprise then? ;)

Really, I'd like to see a Transformers game like the new ones but using the original characters. :lust:

I'd 2nd the KI idea, that was such an overlooked game and a real jewel on the SNES. :thumbsup:

Tron: DD as a first person perspective would also be cool. :ponder:

• Like 1

I think an updated version of Donkey Kong Arcade could be very interesting. make it play the same, but have updated visuals, leader boards and downloadable replays. Perhaps even have a DX mode that would add new stages. Of course it would HAVE to have the ability to play in the OG style as well (but still have leader boards etc).

• Like 2

I'd like to see Dropzone (the classic A8 defender clone/ripoff) rebooted but this time with a 180 degree forward scrolling world (a'la dimension x or ballblazer) with a slight twist in that it is top down, i.e if you move the controller up your scrolling world moves up and conversely for downwards movement, also that as the enemy sprites get nearer to you, they get larger, as does the scenery

Any platform game based on the miner 2049r/BBSB/Mr robot kind of format using the same 180 degree forward scrolling world

And lastly a reworking of the pacman concept (read my blog on AA in relation to that, it was written some time ago)

Apologies for sounding negative on this, but it's relevant that one could compile a list of "Game Remakes that Blow" - and this would serve to discourage the desire for remakes. The latest is "Star Raiders" which there are already at least 2 threads on.

Another list could be "Game Remakes That Have Been Remade Too Many Times." How many remakes of Mario Kart does the world need? HA HA.

• Like 1

Apologies for sounding negative on this, but it's relevant that one could compile a list of "Game Remakes that Blow" - and this would serve to discourage the desire for remakes. The latest is "Star Raiders" which there are already at least 2 threads on.

Another list could be "Game Remakes That Have Been Remade Too Many Times." How many remakes of Mario Kart does the world need? HA HA.

Oh yeah, this is a conversation to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm assuming the best when I think of every one of these games being remade. Mostly a smoother, less buggy (in most cases anyway), and prettier version of what existed before. There would surely be some extra stuff in there, but so long as the extra stuff matches the style and theme of the original I don't mind so much. I think of it like fighting games, they keep adding fighters but so long as those new fighters follow the theme and flow of the original cast then its no harm no foul at the worst.

Miner 2049er.

Wow, I can't believe somebody beat me to this one; I was thinking the same thing.

IMO, re-imaginings tend to fail when they try to take old names and remake them with TEH 3D GRAFICKS!!1one1!

In playing lots of MAME lately I've noticed that there are so many old games that are wildly addictive and fun to play--and they are that way despite the fact that they typically have very primitive audiovisuals. I don't accept the suggestion that these games only seem fun because of nostalgia, because in many cases, I find myself playing old games that I never played "back in the day". Many of them, I never even heard of until recently.

The point I'm making is that I would prefer to see remakes that attempt to "extract" the core essence of the original titles, determine exactly what it is that makes the originals great, and simply embellish on those aspects in creative ways.

Yes, this means that even if the original game made no sense whatsoever in its objective (why am I moving a snake's head around blasting at a big centipede marching down from the sky?) then the re-make need not make any sense either! The graphics can be updated, but there should be clearly identifiable "DNA" from the original--again, even if that means graphics that don't make sense.

Perfect example--in the late 80's and early 90's when they tried to bring Pac-Man out of his tired old maze and into platforming and 3D environments, I thought it was horrible. For one, Pac-Man doesn't have legs, so knock it off. For two, there are other franchises I can go to if I want to play those types of games. I want Pac-Man to stay in the maze where he belongs. It's no coincidence that I absolutely love last year's Pac-Man Championship Edition DX--finally a re-make that got the process right and didn't attempt to "fix" things that weren't "broken" with the very Pac-Man-ness of Pac-Man.

With that rant out of the way, I could probably list a hundred games that I'd like to see remade, but here are a few that come to mind:

Enduro, Pressure Cooker, Frostbite... geeze, just about any Activision title from the 2600 era

Lady Bug

Gravitar

Mappy

Another list could be "Game Remakes That Have Been Remade Too Many Times." How many remakes of Mario Kart does the world need?

Mario Kart's never been remade. It's had sequels sure, but that's different.

Personally I am on the fence about remakes. For some games of course they are essential - like Final Fantasy 3 or Dragon Quest 5 - because they never came out here.

There are also remakes that add a lot to the original game - like Mario 3 adding in a save feature for instance. Or re-making games for differently capable systems. Re-making Final Fight for GBA and thus making it portable was pretty cool.

All told I would always prefer to play the original game when possible. I feel it should be a requirement to at least issue the original version along with the remade one. That being said - I don't feel there are any games that need to be remade - I would much rather see them lovingly ported in their original state whenever possible, and any upgrade ideas integrated into a sequel

• Like 1

The video already took Road Rash, so..

Battletanx! There aren't enough games that are strictly about tank-on-tank action! The game at its very core was centered around multiplayer, and if this were online it would certainly deliver...unless of course nobody gives a crap about tanks anymore. I doubt the game really needs much by way of enhancements, just spruced-up graphics (N64 3D, ewww), better environmental destruction, more options and better bot AI.