IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Sort of a find... I guess...

Went into Goodwill the other day and picked up a few cables including a NES power supply and RF switchbox ($5.99). I looked in the glass case, not expecting to see anything I wanted. I gave it a quick glance and saw that there were some NES games - I started to turn away when I realized that I had seen a Final Fantasy in there. I was pretty psyched about it as I NEVER see rare® games at Goodwill, so I asked to look inside it. The girl opens up the case, I pick up Final Fantasy... $18.99?! $18 fricking .99?! I wasn't too happy about that and (with a kind of sad smile on my face) said to her, "If I wanted to pay those kinds of prices, I'd go online". I made my purchase and left.

Seriously, what the hell? I was *just* getting used to loose carts being priced at $3.99-$4.99, now they're charging Ebay prices?

Lately it has been rather hit or miss - I picked up a PSOne at another Goodwill awhile back for $9.99, yet when I came back another time, they had a PSX and Genesis there, both marked for $25. I DID manage to snag a nice two-computer KVM switch there for $5, though. :) *sigh*... Goodwill and their wacky pricing schemes.

Found 3 NES games of note recently.

-Zombie Nation $4.99 at local game store today. I swear it was the cheapest game they had. I saw a Milon's Castle loose for $17.99 for example.

-Cowboy Kid $4.95 at different local game store yesterday.

-Menace Beach $4 at game store near my parents a couple weeks ago or so. I posted this one here before but still excited about it. :)

post-10019-1179964850_thumb.jpg

Okay, now I am super jealous of the golden N64:

http://www.vidgame.net/NINTENDO/gold64.htm

I've had some nice finds lately of Sears label Atari stuff for a quarter each, some NES stuff (just got The Untouchables for $2 - it'll probably be a sucky game, but I love the TV series that the film is based on), and SNES stuff keeps showing up at the thrifts around me! Very odd.

I got another cool find today - 50 issues of Starlog for $10. I'm not a big fan of the magazine, but the issues are from the 70's and 80's so it'll be fun to check out what they thought of this whole "Star Wars" thing. :)

At goodwill today:

Nintendo Brand Grey N64 Controller, w/ orig controller pak (and the joystick on it even works!) $1.50

Not a major find but finally have a 2nd controller in case anyone wants to play Mario Kart or Super Smash brothers with me when they come over.

Edited by rustblackend

I hate this thread, I could drive all over town, 7 days a week and not find ANYTHING like some of the stuff I read in here. :sad:

Okay, today I have to eat my words. Stopped at a local pawn shop which usually has at least something worth looking at, and today I think I did pretty good on some stuff I'd actually been looking for.

Just got my first SNES the other day and was surprised at how hard it is to find games for a decent price. Today I picked up Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, a "Not for Resale Demo Only" copy of Ken Griffey Jr Winning Run, and Super Off-Road, all for $10!

Just got my first SNES the other day and was surprised at how hard it is to find games for a decent price. Today I picked up Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, a "Not for Resale Demo Only" copy of Ken Griffey Jr Winning Run, and Super Off-Road, all for $10!

Told you you'd find cheaper copies of those Mario games. Happened a lot sooner than i'd have expected though. :D

Bunch of great finds yesterday after months of really not hitting the thrifts.

1.00 NES carts!

Zelda

Super Mario/Duck Hunt

Super Mario/Duck Hunt/Track Meet

Dance Aerobics

Lode Runner

Guardian Legend

Faxanadu

Wizards & Warriors

Star Voyager

Robo Warrior

Famiclone - $1.50

Dreamcast + 2 controllers + 2 guns - $10

They had a few super common 2600 carts, but I left them for the next lucky guy. I'm still seeing tons of N64's and Playstations.

KB Toys blowout - C64 plug & play joysticks $2.98, buy one get one 50% off! They also have those sucky Intellivision plug & plays, EA Games, and poker for the same deal.

Pretty great weekend for finds here...hit up a flea market and a couple new-to-me used game stores, and came away with the following:

NES:

Monster Party: $2

The Punisher (complete): $3

Genesis:

Jurassic Park (complete): $4

Wolverine: Adamantium Rage (complete): $5

Game Boy:

Burai Fighter Deluxe: $2

SNES:

Wing Commander: $4

Lester the Unlikely: $3

Super Mario World: $2 (yep...110 SNES games later, i finally own this :D)

Dragon's Lair: $3

Super Street Fighter II: $3

Raiden Trad: $4

Super Troll Islands: $4

Kirby's Dream Course: $7--find of the week. :cool:

Hey ClassicGamer, 15 bucks is an okay deal for a Game Boy Color. I was lucky enough to find one for $2, and another for $4 within a few weeks of each other (one place thought that it was one of those puzzle games you fill with water!). I may have paid 10-15 for a Pokemon branded one.

There are a lot of great games for GBC, including tons of the B/W classics. GBC is also good if you're into creating music on the Game Boy. Faster processor & more ram really helps - but nothing busts out those analog beats like the classic grey Game Boy.

Forgot to mention another thrift find. It's a self contained Dance Dance type of game, but features what look like NES graphics and music. I don't recognize a lot of the tunes (perhaps they're ripped from NES games?), but there were several pop songs re-done in 8 bit style. Well and truly awesome retro-tastiness...

i got some good deals but one i questioned, an Nes top loader with nothing else but the cables and 1 controller, $75?????? are they really this expensive??

I go to a couple of game stores that sell that setup for $100. I've owned two in my time that i was lucky enough to pay only $10 and $15 for.

On sunday i scored myself 4 sega master system 2 consoles, 2 light phasers, 3 control sticks and a bunch of control pads and other joysticks as well as 62 boxed games all for $80au.

Today i Found:

PSX console -$2au

Sega Mega Drive 1 Console + 2 loose carts, and a Game Boy Micro with Rayman all For $10au.

Edited by ***astro_boy***

Toploaders are expensive to collectors. They're not prone to failure as are the conventional front-loader types. The thing I dislike about the toploader is that the only output is RF. There are mods online to add RCA outputs. Other options that cost less are a Yobo toploader, and a Messiah NEX. You can see my review of the Yobo here:

http://www.retrothing.com/2006/01/nes_yobo_clone_.html

There's also a single unit that can play both NES and SNES. Again a review:

http://www.retrothing.com/2007/02/fc_twin_console.html

The Messiah NEX is more expensive, but can play famicom as well as NES games. it also has a really nice built in wireless system for the controllers. The NEX is a bit controversial, but I've had no problems with it. The emulation isn't 100%, but I still use it for a lot of fun. I don't have a review of the main unit, but here's a little something about the controllers:

http://www.retrothing.com/2006/11/review_messiah_.html

Hope this helps!

I happened to come across a little used video game/music store that I had never noticed before today - went inside and was pleasantly surprised to see that right off the bat, they had a Master Gear Converter for $5.99. They also had a few tubs of 2600/7800 games (mostly super-common 2600 titles), but while digging through the tub, I came across an Ultra Madness Turbo Key for the Saturn that can do both 1MB and 4MB modes to make my US Saturn compatible with all Japanese titles. I picked up a few miscellaneous titles including a boxed Street Racer and was going up to check out when I noticed a Saturn GameShark for $6.99, so I had to pick that up, too.

The great part is that they just rounded off the loose carts (including the Ultra Madness 4MB Turbo-Key) to 10 carts (it was really about 12-13) - and they were all a dollar apiece. In other words, the games/carts in my purchase that weren't specifically labeled with a price wound up being less than $1 each! (yay!)

It has been a good two weeks for this classic gamer!

been away from aa for a month, found a lot but sat was my best find

Yard Sale

Atari Lynx model 1 in case with all these games

Xenophobe X2

Warbirds X2

Gauntlet

Dirty larry renegade cop

scrapyard dog

super sweek

tournament cyberball

dracula

Apb