IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Ahh, good ol' Goodwill.

Today they had two loose 2600 cartridges on the shelf, Chopper Command and Zaxxon, for $5 each. For someone who doesn't yet have those, that's not quite what I would call highway robbery, even if it's still a little steep. But the real amusement came was when I later saw, at the same location, a boxed 2600 cartridge for just a buck! But I left it behind as well, because, (A) it was Football, and (B) Goodwill had thoroughly taped shut both ends of the box!

The only other find of note was a first-party power adapter for the Game Boy Advance SP.

Edited by FujiSkunk

I had a pretty amazing day at the flea market today! I wasn't expecting to find anything too great because it's been kind of lousy lately, but I found quite a few cool new toys and even had to pass up on a couple things.

The Loot:

Sega CD model one with no cables or power adaptor: $8

Suncom 'The Party Quiz Game' controllers: $4

6 in 1 Gameboy game cartridge: $1

Three Laserdiscs (Clockwork Orange, Weird Science, and Se7en [still sealed]): $5

I passed up on a Tandy 102 portable computer which was being sold for eight dollars but didn't have anything else with it and was missing the door to the battery compartment, and an Atari C-380 Video Pinball, which was also eight dollars, because I already have one and I wanted to hold onto some cash in case I came across anything else.

All in all, a very good day at the market.

Sega CD Model One

Suncom Party Quiz Game Controllers

6 in 1 Gameboy Cartridge

• Like 2

I got a Game.com for $2.42 at a thrift.Went to a flea market and got a Atari 600XL(My first retro computer!) for $10(no games,controllers,or cables).Cosmic Carnage(32X) for $2 along with a Genesis 2 ac adapter(had a Genesis for months and i didn't have a ac adapter because i was waiting for a cheaper one). Megaman Zero 3 for $1.went to Gamestop and got Jack 2(2.99),Sly cooper(free),Crash Team Nitro(3.99),and Tony hawk's pro skater(free)(buy 2 PS2 get 2 free).went again and got Guilty Gear Isuka(5.99) and Magical Quest 2 Mickie and Minnie(The lone GBA game) for .75.it was $3 but they had a buy one used(PS2,Gamecube,i don't know),get second game half off.

Got a 2004 Transformers Cybertron Starscream for .65, a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers picture($2) and a 25 anniversary Hot wheels Redlines car for $3.Good deals if i must say so myself!.Will post pictures soon.

• Like 4

Today I traded some SNES games (common titles) at a local game store and netted a few bucks.

Looking around I decided today was Dragon's Lair day!

Picked up Dragon's Lair for the 3DO for $15 (complete long box) and Dragon's Lair 3D for the XBox for $6.

Nothing major, but nice for a rainy, gloomy day.

Nothing purchased at my Goodwill today. Not only was I out of money, half price day is Saturday and while they had tons of product out, the prices were insane. Everything was marked more than double the usual price. Typical tactic. Misc power cords are 49 - 99 cents every day. The Wednesday before halfprice day they are all $2.99. :roll:

A few decent finds to kick off the year.

From a Goodwill: Odyssey2 system with 10 games. The interesting thing about this set is the black removable controllers and the NES style power supply. Power supply was dead, but thankfully you can use NES compatible ones. Games were nothing special, but a good selection. Got the lot for $19.99.

post-12780-0-80070700-1359596675_thumb.jpg

From a local vintage game store, boxed Arcadia Supercharger/ Phaser Patrol. I've wanted one forever and I knew he has had it for at least 5 years. Tried to haggle him down from his $40 asking price, but he wouldn't budge. Oh well, $40 isn't really too bad, plus he has a return policy. It works great though, already have all the games loaded on a cheapie MP3 player I had.

post-12780-0-17670100-1359596684_thumb.jpg

At my local Disc Traders, I saw this in one of their showcases: a 1987 ActionMax game system with 3 extra games. This thing is a hoot, I'd never even heard of it before, much less seen one. Who would have thought that not only was there a game system that was nothing but terrible gun games, but one that uses VHS tapes for the games? Sign me up! I couldn't pass it up for $29.99

post-12780-0-28873400-1359596810_thumb.jpg

Last one isn't a thrift find, but an Ebay score. A 100% complete Spectravideo Compumate, which I picked up for $48 shipped.

post-12780-0-77251700-1359596839_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Flint. They've got plenty of clothes, though. I was hoping maybe they sent the good stuff out your way.

I wish. I will find an Atari (or 80's gaming) score once in a blue moon at the Salvation Army, but the Goodwill here sends most of their good stuff off to auction.

Craigslist has been good to me lately ... with the older computer stuff. Just picked this up for $150. Includes:

Commodore 128D with keyboard

3 Commodore 64's

3 Commodore 1541 Drives (one has Jiffy dos?)

1 Commodore 1571 Drive

1764 RAM Expansion

Misc goodies

HUNDREDS of disks including some originals and about 20 boxed games including Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders CIB.

post-31049-0-50285900-1359656936_thumb.jpg

post-31049-0-90274100-1359656939_thumb.jpg

post-31049-0-03801500-1359656943_thumb.jpg

post-31049-0-75717200-1359656945_thumb.jpg

post-31049-0-87468200-1359656948_thumb.jpg

post-31049-0-39432600-1359656951_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Craigslist has been good to me lately ... with the older computer stuff. Just picked this up for $150. Includes:

3 Commodore 64's

1 Commodore 1571 Drive

1764 RAM Expansion

Misc goodies

HUNDREDS of disks including some originals and about 20 boxed games including Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders CIB.

LMK if you want to unload a spare working 1541.

3 Commodore 64's

1 Commodore 1571 Drive

1764 RAM Expansion

Misc goodies

Awesome deal!

That's nice that other people can find stuff at Goodwill. The Goodwill and Salvation Army closest to me usually have nothing but junk.

It depends on when you go; I've found that Friday is usually a huge waste of time. Way too many people poking about, and nothing worth a second look.

I don't limit my finds (or posts) to just games, but I've noticed there've been tons of games lately...just not very many that I'm interested in =| Heck, just the other day there was a complete Genesis 2, and two complete GameCubes.

Sally and Goodwill both used to be great before eBay, now its rough. Since the economy tanked i've noticed they are a lot more popular to boot. Like golden.ax said middle of the week tends to work best. Weekends are nutso because it's so packed out (and picked over) its almost always a waste of time.

I used to travel all around my area for work and would hit 3-4 thrifts a week during lunch at various locations in a 75 mile radius. Salvation Armies are almost always a write-off. Great for furniture but awful for electronics/games/etc. If there was one close to a Goodwill i'd stop in but best case scenario was usually a music CD for $2. There were a few "mega-salvation armies" that were slightly better due to their sheer size, but even those.. eh.

Mom and Pop thrifts.. eh.. The for profit ones will look anything old up on eBay.. the off brand charity ones are about as good as the salvation armies.. ie not so good.

Goodwill remains the king but yeah.. crazy picked over. The best deal was when a new one opened up as you'd have a few months of above average finds until it got on the 'network'. I suspect people troll them for stuff to flip these days.. strike that I know people do as i've seen people scanning UPCs with a smartphone to check re-sale pricing on things.

Still fun to go but its a lot of effort these days.

Oh and none of the thrifts around here ever have sales like you guys. Some of the salvation armies will have a 'ticket of the day' with items that match 50% off but since they normally have nothing half off doesn't help. The goodwills never mark anything down.. the one nearest to me just started pricing PS2 games at $10.06.

Edited by number six