IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but I really just want to see a list, some pics, and a story (if applicable.) If someone posts a YouTube video, I'm not going to watch it. Seeing peoples' finds is interesting, but it isn't worth 10-20 minutes of my life. You just aren't that interesting.

Grumpy rant over.

Chris

OH SNAP!

tumblr_ltf3zdO9SE1qcsp5b.gif

Edited by xDragonWarrior
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind games being under glass so much if they'd at least position them so you can see what they are :mad:

I really don't have the patience anymore to ask for assistance and then say "Oh, no, I don't want any of these sports titles." =|

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 3

I wouldn't mind games being under glass so much if they'd at least position them so you can see what they are :mad:

I really don't have the patience anymore to ask for assistance and then say "Oh, no, I don't want any of these sports titles." =|

QFT. A local salvation army keeps their entire DVD stuff under glass, and it's ALWAYS placed spine side down, price tag over the edge. The only title I can see are the one on the far left and far right side but the 200 or so in the middle can't be read. I got to ask and have them show me them all. Takes oh about 30 minutes to find out all of them are trash like Pull Up story DVD, weight loss promo. etc. I would be extremely happy to see even a crappy movie.

Yes yes yes. Everything's always just thrown on top of each other, label down, price tag down, etc. And then the staff gets huffy and eye rolly because you ask to actually see what everything is, and then since its all over priced, tell them "no thanks" and you get this look like you really just wasted their valuable time. . .

. . . and then they proceed to throw everything back in the case in an unidentifiable pile. :roll:

Thrift stores around here have been putting most game related stuff in the glass case for years. They probably came up with the idea of putting it all in there where you can't see the labels. There will be a half empty glass shelf there with two N64 titles standing on end, presumably to save shelf space.

What aggravates me is when someone rushes up to the case then blocks the area with the games and movies from view. I've seen people literally press themselves into the case to the point I can't see around them. When an employees finally approaches, they ask to see some crappy camera or something. It turns out at that point that there's nothing game related in there at all and that person has wasted the last five minutes of my life.

Another thing I hate is when I buy something from behind the case and they refuse to let me carry it into the store to continue shopping. Oh, sure, they'll hold it behind the counter, but then I have to wait a second time for someone to appear at the counter and by that time I have to wait behind several people in line--AGAIN. No thanks, it's faster if I just carry this to my truck and come back inside in a minute. "Are you sure?" Yes, I'm 100% sure I want to walk out into the cold with this bag of common 2600 games. "Well, I can just hold 'em here for you." YES!! I AM sure!! Don't ask me again!

BTW, I haven't been thrifting in a couple weeks, but I did make a large trade last Sunday for three consoles and 50-60 games. It was all 2600 and 5200 stuff. Some of the 2600 stuff is uncommon, but not just stupidly valuable.

Yes yes yes. Everything's always just thrown on top of each other, label down, price tag down, etc. And then the staff gets huffy and eye rolly because you ask to actually see what everything is, and then since its all over priced, tell them "no thanks" and you get this look like you really just wasted their valuable time. . .

. . . and then they proceed to throw everything back in the case in an unidentifiable pile. :roll:

And this is why I have given up on thrifts. Too much time, frustration, and gas to come away empty handed.

Get used to it, blame the smart phone era and easy access internet. I will not be suprised if Savers and Value Village follow Goodwills footsteps and start pulling retro stuff out of the stores all together and sell it exclusive online auctions. More money for them bad for the local collectors.

I'm just glad i have pretty much everything i want, so i don't have to buy at those higher prices. I feel bad for the folks just starting a collection.

Tried out a new place, I think it was called Use It Again Thrift...seemed like a pretty nice place, everything displayed nicely, nice and clean (well, as clean as a second-hand shop can be), not too junky...

...then we were skimming past the toys and board games section, and there was a Ziploc bag with a $2 price sticker on it, inside was a dirty, drippy, used McDonald's McCafé plastic cup and straw, I mean there was a good gulp or two left of drink in there...

@_@

I don't even know what to think. We're still laughing about it.

Oh, and they had a like-new DVD of The Abominable Dr. Phibes, so I grabbed that for $1. They always have the sequel on Hulu and Netflix, and it's pretty awesome, so I'm excited to finally get to see the original.

And for some clarification as to why this is a good thing: http://www.amazon.co...&condition=used

I don't know, it seems to me like Amazon sellers are five times worse than eBay sellers when it comes to super-overpricing. And a lot of my friends will say things like "Even the brand new copies are worth this much!!", not realizing that those are still crazy, unrealistic reseller set prices.

Edited by Asaki

I'm just glad i have pretty much everything i want, so i don't have to buy at those higher prices. I feel bad for the folks just starting a collection.

Right there with you, I am almost done with my Nintendo cart sets, N64 completed all 296 games, snes I have around 300 to go, and nes 5 left of the licensed NTSC us set.

It was bound to happen sooner or later, and yes it sucks for all the new guys out there paying obscene prices on some of this stuff.

Glad I got most of the Atari, c64,intv and coleco stuff out of the way early on as all this stuff is on the rise too.

Edited by Shinju
  • Like 1

I don't know, it seems to me like Amazon sellers are five times worse than eBay sellers when it comes to super-overpricing. And a lot of my friends will say things like "Even the brand new copies are worth this much!!", not realizing that those are still crazy, unrealistic reseller set prices.

Amazon used prices are a more realistic standard in my experience. eBay sellers have a much larger range of prices so it's hard to find a good average, and the stores are generally a lot more trustworthy due to Amazon's stricter policies. Most regular stores/larger pawn shops usually go by Amazon pricing too, so it's a more stable average. I had a local store actually try to rip me off on PTO II for the Saturn too. He tried to quote me the new Amazon price and even pointed to it on his computer monitor. I told him that was the new price and the CIB used one right underneath it was about 30 dollars less.

I have a friend who always quotes the 'New' prices too, and I threaten to slap him every time he does it.

"LOOK IT'S WORTH $999.99!"

"Yeah, that's if it were brand new, ya freaking idiot. This is obviously a used copy. Shut up." *slap*

Edited by DestinedCruz

Today I got Bill Clemens MVP baseball,Star Trek the new generation,The new Chessmaster,Final Fantasy Adventure,Final Fantasy legends 2 and 3 and Tetris all boxed for $2 a piece at a Value Village!. Also got another Gameboy for $4 with Bill Clemens(the Bill Clemens box had Chessmaster in it,and the Chessmaster box had Tetris in it).The boxes weren't in bad condition(Bill Clemens and Final Fantasy legends 3 were in real good condition),the rest had bad flaps at the bottom and a flimsy top flap but not in terrible condition(i can still keep them) and even without the boxes,it still was a great price.Will try to post pics soon.

Edited by xDragonWarrior

CIMG4345_zpscf7c9808.jpg

The PS1 games were $5.99 at Goodwill; both of the Tomb Raider games are still sealed. The 3DS New SMB 2 that Target didn't want anymore was $14.99. Not pictured is the GameCube Super Mario Sunshine disc I found in an Animal Crossing case at a different Goodwill. So if anyone wants an Animal Crossing case and manual, save me the trouble of posting in in the freebie thread and let me know. :D

• Like 1

Today I got Bill Clemens MVP baseball,Star Trek the new generation,The new Chessmaster,Final Fantasy Adventure,Final Fantasy legends 2 and 3 and Tetris all boxed for $2 a piece at a Value Village!. Also got another Gameboy for $4 with Bill Clemens(the Bill Clemens box had Chessmaster in it,and the Chessmaster box had Tetris in it).The boxes weren't in bad condition(Bill Clemens and Final Fantasy legends 3 were in real good condition),the rest had bad flaps at the bottom and a flimsy top flap but not in terrible condition(i can still keep them) and even without the boxes,it still was a great price.Will try to post pics soon.

I have some of those FF GB boxes waiting for carts and manuals to complete them. Have considered selling and trying to get CIB, but the way prices are going...meh I'd bet I'll do better waiting for loose carts.

Value Village had some decent stuff and the prices were just ok

CIB - Carmen Sandiego $2.99 - I actually had this already but this one was in much better shape and had a cool poster too :D

The Sacred Cards - $3.99 - everything BUT the collector cards included

Donkey Kong Classic GBA - $4.99

Wario Land 3 GBC (save battery does work) - $4.99

post-2493-0-97434400-1362920409_thumb.jpg

Edited by AtariLeaf

There is a great computer parts thrift store here in Portland called "Free Geek". They recycle parts, and help the community by providing volunteer opportunities, teaching various skills, and donating computers to local kids. In the store, they have a pile of old laptops in various states of repair. They call them "scraptops". Buy as-is and get your hands dirty. I got this Compaq for $10. Celeron M 330 (1.4Ghz), 1Gb ram, wireless G. A 20Gb hard drive was $8. A power brick was $12. Once I got it home, I noticed it needed a special hard drive connector. Found that for $2 shipped on e-bay. So $30 total for a laptop I'll dedicate as my SIO2PC machine. It is pretty nice, although the battery only holds a charge for about 30 mins. I'll see if that can be refreshed.

post-28704-0-31621200-1362934371_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I've seen valueless books printed in 2010 going for like $400 (at the cheapest). I had to wait quite a few months before it finally came back down to $12.

All depends on the rank. If you use it allot you kinda know how to read the ranks and how much stock to put in the price that some jackhat put on something. People usually take advantage of being the only seller with one up. That's when you see a high price. I often check both eBay and Amazon use an average less 15% when selling my own items outside of those sites. That said, the last two AA sales threads I did, just about no one bought anything, so I've just about given up selling on here. I hate selling anything anymore. Wish I didn't have to in order to survive.

I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but I really just want to see a list, some pics, and a story (if applicable.) If someone posts a YouTube video, I'm not going to watch it. Seeing peoples' finds is interesting, but it isn't worth 10-20 minutes of my life. You just aren't that interesting.

Grumpy rant over.

Chris

well if I'm worthy of your time, that is a decision I can't make.

But in the video you see all the games, so it's both a list and a visual of all the titles :)

making pictures would actually take me a lot more time then a video would

• Like 1