IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

well if I'm worthy of your time, that is a decision I can't make.

But in the video you see all the games, so it's both a list and a visual of all the titles :)

making pictures would actually take me a lot more time then a video would

It's not a matter of being "worthy" of my time, really. I like perusing the new posts in this thread, and if someone posts a bunch of finds with pics it takes me MAYBE 30 seconds to check it all out. That's cool, but I'm not going to burn 10-15 minutes watching a YouTube video of finds. I could take several pics, edit them, upload them to my FTP site, and create a post on here in about 10 minutes.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be a jerk. To each his own. I just see a lot more people going the YouTube route with things that could just be pics, or even just some text as a conversation starter on here. Someone wants to show off a handful of games or start a conversation about our favorite game controller (or whatever), and it just doesn't warrant a 10 minute video. I'm probably wrong, but sometimes it seems like an ego thing. I mean, I have my own website, but I don't make people go there to read an article about what I picked up at the thrift stores last week. I just post it here.

Chris

• Like 2

It's not a matter of being "worthy" of my time, really. I like perusing the new posts in this thread, and if someone posts a bunch of finds with pics it takes me MAYBE 30 seconds to check it all out. That's cool, but I'm not going to burn 10-15 minutes watching a YouTube video of finds. I could take several pics, edit them, upload them to my FTP site, and create a post on here in about 10 minutes.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be a jerk. To each his own. I just see a lot more people going the YouTube route with things that could just be pics, or even just some text as a conversation starter on here. Someone wants to show off a handful of games or start a conversation about our favorite game controller (or whatever), and it just doesn't warrant a 10 minute video. I'm probably wrong, but sometimes it seems like an ego thing. I mean, I have my own website, but I don't make people go there to read an article about what I picked up at the thrift stores last week. I just post it here.

Chris

Chris,

I'm on your side. I like either text or a few pics. Way too many egos posting on You Tube, especially when it comes to Video Game Reviews.

Just my 2 cents! :dunce:

When it comes to unboxing and "finds" videos, it's incredibly helpful to have a list of what games are featured, even if it's in a spoiler tag or ROT13. I might make time for a video if it features an item that's of interest to me, or I might not -- but at least if you post a list, we can discuss what you found without needing to watch the whole video.

I'll occasionally rapidly scan through a "finds" video to see what turns up, at least if it's IntellivisionDude since his items often come from people I know. :) But usually it's just not an efficient use of my time, especially because videos demand essentially 100% attention. With text, I can multitask, listen to music, read on my laptop when I'm in bed without waking my other half, etc. Videos make me intensely aware of the time I'm putting into them, and even the best "here's my stuff" video tends to make me antsy.

I suppose people are afraid that if they post a list, people won't bother to watch the video, but... :ponder:

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't like to watch 15 minute videos to discover things I could have read in 15 seconds.

Not just here, but regarding many subjects; especially tutorials where pictures are more useful than some guy talking. Especially especially when pictures aren't even required.

• Like 1

you absolutely have a valid point, but like you said, to each his own :)

for me personally videos take a lot less time then taking pictures of a couple hundred games every week

WOW, dude if you can afford to get a couple hundred games every week, I want to hang out with you! :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

It's not just thrift finds where a YouTube video would not be the optimal choice to show & tell. It seems like 70% of all interactions on the Internet have delved down to just posting YT links. Is this what we've come to?

You: "Hey cholly! I haven't seen you since high school! How have you been?"

Cholly: (posts link of a tap dancing cat)

That and "txt spk" is how the Internet hasn't made things better.

• Like 1

u wot m8? u think ur so much bttr thn teh rest ov us bcuz u use full wordzz?? get rekt lolololllll

I know what you mean, mate. I can hardly understand half of what's being said anymore, and I can't see chatspeak being any easier to write. It took about three times longer writing that ditty up there than it did writing this. It just doesn't make sense.

It's not just thrift finds where a YouTube video would not be the optimal choice to show & tell. It seems like 70% of all interactions on the Internet have delved down to just posting YT links. Is this what we've come to?

You: "Hey cholly! I haven't seen you since high school! How have you been?"

Cholly: (posts link of a tap dancing cat)

Who knows. Maybe we're just old. But I prefer a good old fashioned forum thread to OPEN TAG videos on YouTube. It's just a matter of how I want to spend my time. I mean, if you're gonna post a video and then have people post response videos, wouldn't it just be easier to have a Skype or GoToMeeting chat session with some people? It would beat a poorly-lit, poorly-focused, way-too-close video of a guy talking about why the Genesis is his favorite console and then asking for response videos.

Chris

Who knows. Maybe we're just old. But I prefer a good old fashioned forum thread to OPEN TAG videos on YouTube. It's just a matter of how I want to spend my time. I mean, if you're gonna post a video and then have people post response videos, wouldn't it just be easier to have a Skype or GoToMeeting chat session with some people? It would beat a poorly-lit, poorly-focused, way-too-close video of a guy talking about why the Genesis is his favorite console and then asking for response videos.

Chris

It's not just wannabee Youtube sensations doing this. It frustrates me no end to click on a news "story" online and find out that it is another video that not only takes longer to watch than to read a story with thrice the content, but you often have to put up with several seconds of an ad until you can click through it.

It's not just wannabee Youtube sensations doing this. It frustrates me no end to click on a news "story" online and find out that it is another video that not only takes longer to watch than to read a story with thrice the content, but you often have to put up with several seconds of an ad until you can click through it.

Same here. If it's a video' I don't bother. Article or GTFO. I like READING. It's a nasty habit.

Chris

Thought I was out of luck at the thrift shop (as usual) when I noticed a $6 game watch behind the counter. It was the Super Mario World one from 1990-91 with a headphone jack of all things. No case/manual, but also no obvious wear aside from some creases on the smallest setting of the strap. Battery was starting to green, but no damage inside. New battery is on order--hope she still works.

not mine, naturally, but the same model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-F65y-4wg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Thought I was out of luck at the thrift shop (as usual) when I noticed a $6 game watch behind the counter. It was the Super Mario World one from 1990-91 with a headphone jack of all things. No case/manual, but also no obvious wear aside from some creases on the smallest setting of the strap. Battery was starting to green, but no damage inside. New battery is on order--hope she still works.

not mine, naturally, but the same model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-F65y-4wg

LOL at that video -- "Nobody has this!" Yeah, because the 8 listings for that exact item, 2 of which are boxed, clearly supports that guy's statement. Friggin' YouTubers! :D

Jack in the Dark, a Christmas adventure? Hmmm... is that like the whole Santa only "comes" once a year thing?

Man, even when something's not from Out of the Closet? :D

CIMG4370_zps85cd3f30.jpg

Sniper Elite was $3.99 at a Salvation Army. Ballistic was $3.00 at a Jewish Women's Council thrift.

CIMG4368_zps2c2af976.jpg

Alesis HR-16 Drum Machine with box, styrofoam, paperwork (including bumper sticker), cable BUT missing the power supply. $18 at a different Salvation Army.

• Like 1