IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- you sealed collectors are NUTS! :P

I like to get a sealed box because it's the only way to get it like original. Sometimes the box misses things inside (warranty card, extras, etc) or the manuals are bent, etc.

So I open every sealed thing I've got ;)

I don't have Pics (my wife has the camera and isn't home right now), but I hit up a few thrifts and score a couple of goodies. At the Goodwill I got an original grey Playstation console with no cables or controllers for $1.99. I already have one but couldn't pass it up. I hooked it up and it works like a champ. At the Volunteers of America thrift I cought their half off everything Tuesday sale and got a Wii Udraw tablet for $1.50. Now I just need to find the game.

I've added everything and along time I've got all these for US$27 :), my most recent addition is Out Run 3D for US$6 and it is the only one with manual, that is a CIB. I didn't know it was kind of rare.

So rare that some SMS 3D lists don't even list it. You should go for a complete 3D collection. They are awesome. However, Outrun is probably the poorest as far as pulling off the 3D effect--especially when the fork in the road hits!

• Like 1

Sometimes it's cool to work freelance and be the master of my own schedule. Been the early bird on a workday flea market today, and scored this little sucker for 5,50 Euro. It was a bit yellowed and had some red icky stuff on it - probably jam or something else I don't want to know (no blood, hehe). I actually had to cut small pieces out of some manual pages' edges, because they were stuck together for good. But apart from that, it seems to work. The fact that I was unable to save and/or load a test program I wrote

10 PRINT"TEST TEST"

20 GOTO10

may be my own stupidity, or lack of VC20 knowledge (I had a C64 with a floppy drive back in the days). Maybe a 2-line program is too small to be found on the tape? Also, I don't get a clear picture. Seems the HF adapter has gone bad. Anyone know if it's possible to hook it up directly without that stupid metal box in between?

Warranty note says Dec,21, 1983. Merry Christmas :D

post-34656-0-38250900-1377696494_thumb.jpg

post-34656-0-61077400-1377696505_thumb.jpg

Edited by karokoenig

Sometimes it's cool to work freelance and be the master of my own schedule. Been the early bird on a workday flea market today, and scored this little sucker for 5,50 Euro. It was a bit yellowed and had some red icky stuff on it - probably jam or something else I don't want to know (no blood, hehe). I actually had to cut small pieces out of some manual pages' edges, because they were stuck together for good. But apart from that, it seems to work. The fact that I was unable to save and/or load a test program I wrote 10 PRINT"TEST TEST" 20 GOTO10 may be my own stupidity, or lack of VC20 knowledge (I had a C64 with a floppy drive back in the days). Maybe a 2-line program is too small to be found on the tape? Also, I don't get a clear picture. Seems the HF adapter has gone bad. Anyone know if it's possible to hook it up directly without that stupid metal box in between? Warranty note says Dec,21, 1983. Merry Christmas :D

Nice pickup on the VIC.

You don't need the modulator - the VIC outputs the same composite signal as early 5-pin C64s (and Atari 800s).

Your load/save issue is most likely a defective tape, or dirty or misaligned heads on the recorder. A short program like yours actually increases the chance of a successful load.

Edited by krslam
  • Like 1

You don't need the modulator - the VIC outputs the same composite signal as early 5-pin C64s (and Atari 800s).

Your load/save issue is most likely a defective tape, or dirty or misaligned heads on the recorder. A short program like yours actually increases the chance of a successful load.

Thanks for the info. The tape was still sealed, I picked it up on the same flea market. So I guess it's the heads. I'll look into that.

Right now, I'm undecided if I keep it or not. They tend to yield about 50-80 Euros on german eBay - which is tempting, because I could buy a lot of Atari carts for that money. On the other hand, I'm quite proud of that find, and never had a VC20 before. Would be fun to mess around with it for a bit.

On the other hand, I'm quite proud of that find, and never had a VC20 before. Would be fun to mess around with it for a bit.

If you do keep it, Sword of Fargoal is an awesome game, if you like Roguelikes (though technically, I think this game came out before Rogue).

Went to the Stormville Airport Flea Market this weekend. Things were thinner than usual, but I still had a few nice pickups, mostly from vendors I'd dealt with before:

- three near-mint condition Parker Bros. CIB games for the Atari 5200, including Star Wars: The Arcade Game;

- a N64 with six games and one controller, plus a random SNES controller and 2 boxed PS1 games including Tail of the Sun (I also got a third PS1 game from another vendor);

- an Action Replay for the Saturn + 2 CIB Sega games (one Genesis, one SMS);

- and 50 CDs of contemporary (post-1900) classical music, most of which are hard-to-find discs that originally retailed for as much as $20 each.

Went to the Stormville Airport Flea Market this weekend. Things were thinner than usual, but I still had a few nice pickups, mostly from vendors I'd dealt with before:

- three near-mint condition Parker Bros. CIB games for the Atari 5200, including Star Wars: The Arcade Game;

- a N64 with six games and one controller, plus a random SNES controller and 2 boxed PS1 games including Tail of the Sun (I also got a third PS1 game from another vendor);

- an Action Replay for the Saturn + 2 CIB Sega games (one Genesis, one SMS);

- and 50 CDs of contemporary (post-1900) classical music, most of which are hard-to-find discs that originally retailed for as much as $20 each.

Oooh, if you don't want that SNES controller and it works, send me a PM! I've been looking to buy one to use with emulation and had horrible luck trying to get one online.

I'll put up a picture tomorrow after my doctor's appointment, but just got an RCA Dimensia television that has what is basically a SCART socket at a thrift store in Longwood for TEN DOLLARS. That's right, an American TV with a SCART socket for ten bucks. Heavy as hell, and I may have to have a couple friends of mine in my area help me heft the damn thing up onto where I want it. Once done, I'm getting SCART cables. Pretty sure it can do 50Hz over that port (since my in-need-of-repair 1084S only states 60Hz as well, but worked with 50Hz just fine over RGB).

Oooh, if you don't want that SNES controller and it works, send me a PM! I've been looking to buy one to use with emulation and had horrible luck trying to get one online.

Once I get it tested out, will do! If you don't hear from me within a few days, PM me. I've got tons of extra SNES and Genesis controllers, mostly third-party, from a lot my fiancée picked up last year.

Walked into a thrift, saw games behind the counter, got excited! Never find ANYTHING good around here anymore! Saw the price tags, not so excited...priced at $30 and $20 each. Still rare enough to throw the purchase on a credit card(not real money anyway,right?). Woman rings them up and says "oh, these are half price today". :)

Picked up the Neo Geo Pocket and game at a garage sale for $1. Woman selling it was a retiring teacher selling off all her leftover school supplies. I laughed when I heard her mention that to someone else. Poor kid never got his game system back!

Mike

post-36883-0-16809200-1378221627_thumb.jpg

post-36883-0-06398500-1378221684_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks, HyperBoy. I've heard in some circles these particular televisions have a rarity bordering mythical. I'm really looking forward to when I can order a SCART cable for my Genesis/SMS and see just how nice they look. Really hoping this has RGB like some stated. Sadly can't do 50Hz PAL over composite or s-video. It is in fact a point of concern regarding my Atari STE and Amiga 1200.

I saw one of those Dimensia TVs with the SCART plug in the back at one of my local thrifts a few years back. I thought it was really cool, but a console TV just doesn't fit into my setup. I already had my first PVM by then, anyway. But RGB + woodgrain console TV = epic gameroom.