IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I think the INTV Synthesizer is the only piece I need (outside of the brown ECU/cassette drive unit). Goodwill in Washington state is a very much Miss more then a HIT anymore.

Yeah... It can be pretty dry these days, can't it. That said, this week I found a bunch of Game Boy Games.....

post-210-0-37417400-1390631278_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-42075800-1390631280_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Mix of stuff from a local "Recyclingbörse" (guess it's the equivalent of a thrift store) and a family flea market my hunny and I visited today. I am particularly happy about the LucasArts Box. All manuals and a strategy guide for Vollgas (Full Throttle). Great condition, 3 Euro. The Neverwinter Nights box is also complete, and apart from a little damage (price sticker) in great condition. 1,50 Euro.

The Mega Drive and NES games were 3 Euro each. Anyone in PAL land who has a Mega Drive Light Gun and wants that game? It's CIB, ok condition, and I would be willing to trade it.

post-34656-0-50669800-1390663531_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I finally braved the cold and went to my Goodwill store yesterday, and what did they have?

the video says it all

Yeppers. This is what I get all day long here in Brookings Oregon. Yard Sales (when they actually appear which is not very often) = nothing. Thrift stores (only three legitimate stores in town) = nothing. The surrounding area of Gold Beach and Crescent City, CA = nothing. Nada. Zilch.

• Like 1

How's this for a deal? I walked into a pawn shop about a week ago and found a couple of Wii Us (both 32GB systems) behind the glass. The original price for the systems was $210... that didn't work for me, so I asked them for the absolute least amount of money they'd take. They told me I could have one for $150, and even threw in a few extra controllers to sweeten the deal. No way I could resist that!

I realize the machine is not very popular and probably won't be supported by Nintendo for more than a couple more years. Hell, there are already rumors of a new Nintendo system in development now. However, I wanted a cheap way into the next generation and I got it. Besides, the Wii U's got some pretty cool features that I doubt we'll ever see on the Xbox One or PS4. It's got some great social features, like being able to leave notes and even simple drawings for other players. (Except those drawings can be shockingly detailed considering the drawing tool's limitations... I swear, some of these artists are cyborgs!) Also, I appreciate that the system's got Mass Effect 3, the sequel to one of my all-time favorites from the previous generation. It probably isn't quite as good as the Xbox 360 version, but it's still pretty awesome, being Mass Effect and all.

Oh yeah, I also picked up loose copies of Sonic 2 and, uh, Shaq Fu while I was at the pawn shop. Each cost me about a buck. Normally I wouldn't buy such common Genesis games without the boxes, but Genesis games have gotten really hard to find lately. I bought Shaq Fu because I have a sick sense of humor. (The recent dialog hack of the Super NES game called "Schmuck Fu" was my doing.)

• Like 1

Reposting my find from Tuesday:

ztdkj8.jpg

$5 each. I couldn't decide if I liked green or purple better (purple being the color of the first GBC I ever had), so I grabbed them both. The purple one, it seems like the screen is a little harder to see in regular lighting conditions, but the contrast pot looks unmolested. Just poor QC, I guess?

Kitsch-Bent very recently started selling frontlight kits, so I ordered two of them to try out. If the first one turns out good, I know a guy who might be interested in the second one.

...and I ordered a green backlight kit for the DMG while I was at it @_@

...and now they have backlight kits for GBAs! I suspect they might be harvesting the screens from actual 101 SPs, though =(

We lost a few hours of posts when Al had to restore the forum from a backup; were they posted during that window?

Probably. Unless I broke some new rule against posting pics of Game Boys, or linking to sites that sell parts for mods.

I finally braved the cold...

I thought about going out today, since I had somewhere I had to go anyway, but the blizzard won. I got stuck in the snow, turned right around, and went to bed.

Hell, there are already rumors of a new Nintendo system in development now.

They usually start work on the next console before the current one even gets released, so I wouldn't exactly call it a rumor =)

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 2

I had some really, really good finds today at the flea market.

Atari Video Pinball unit with an AC adapter and a bonus RF switch which will probably never be used by anyone ever. $5, talked down from $10. Works pretty good, too. Less jittery than the unit I already had, so I'll probably swap the innards so I can have one which looks good and plays well.

post-31618-0-87999900-1390802620_thumb.jpg

Got two Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre trays for only $2. I really like these things, so I'm probably going to keep them until the day I die.

post-31618-0-85246800-1390802622_thumb.jpg

Got a Genesis arcade stick, a Xbox360 AV cable, and a black Nunchuck for the Wii for $5. The guy I bought these from is really cool and always gives me great deals. Way more chill than some of the other horrible people at the flea market who I've developed a true disdain for.

post-31618-0-11233100-1390802629_thumb.jpg

Speaking of people who I have a disdain for, this next batch came from such a person. It's hard to explain, but I hated this woman's attitude and I refused to let her win. I was originally looking to get the Virtual Boy controller with the AC adapter and the game, which she wanted $10 for. I eventually got her down to $8, but was determined to get it for no more than $7 because of her horrible attitude (hard to explain, but it was horrible). Eventually I walked away, gave my friend a tenner, and told him to go in there and try to haggle for it (he's much better at haggling than I am). I told him to try to get down to $7 (so I could beat her), but that if he could get her to $8 to still go for it, so long as she didn't know she was getting those $8 from me (I really didn't want her to feel like she beat me). After a while he came back and said that she wanted $10 for it, or $20 for a pile of stuff, including a SNES. I told him to go for it and switched the ten for a twenty. After a long time he came back, told me that he hated her attitude and that she was being difficult and ignoring him most of the time, and told me that he was able to get all the following for $19: SNES deck, gold N64 controller (stick is pretty tight still), two SNES AC adapters, Virtual Boy controller, Vertical Force game for the Virtual Boy, AC adapter for the Game Boy, and some misc. RF cables. He also got a weird sandwich press thing, just so he could get more out of her.
It really sounds petty, but this woman was horrible and we were both intent to not let her beat us. I've never met a person quite so difficult and stubborn at the flea market.

post-31618-0-93266900-1390802635_thumb.jpg

We were there a lot later than we would normally go, so we had the opportunity to go through some boxes of stuff which one of the vendors had just left behind. I got a couple of old photo albums of other peoples' families, some sewing templates, and a huge pile of stoner magazines from the '70s. I'm not really into the whole stoner scene, but they looked pretty interesting, and it's hard to say no to something which is free.

post-31618-0-70645000-1390802624_thumb.jpg

I also finally had a Craigslist deal go through today. I got a Gamecube Game Boy Player disc in the case and with the manual for $10. I recently got a GC at the flea market for $10 with a GB Player attached, so now I have the complete set. Pretty cool.

post-31618-0-26435000-1390802626_thumb.jpg

I also picked up a DIVX disc for fifty cents (because I think the things are cool, even if I can't every use them) and spent a dollar for some table edge guards for my sister since she has a baby now and will eventually need to make the place safe for the little goob.

• Like 5

I had some really, really good finds today at the flea market.

Atari Video Pinball unit with an AC adapter and a bonus RF switch which will probably never be used by anyone ever. $5, talked down from $10. Works pretty good, too. Less jittery than the unit I already had, so I'll probably swap the innards so I can have one which looks good and plays well.

attachicon.gifAtari $5.JPG

Nice. This is one of those items I'd love to get but am unwilling to pay the price and shipping required. It's one of those things, like an Atari 800, that I'd have to find locally to make it worth it.

Well I hit up a local thrift store over in WV and scored some Genesis controllers for $2.00 bucks each, one regular and a slim 6-button controller, both in fantastic shape. I may or may not keep them. Passed on the common Genny sports games.. Another new pawn shop sold me 5 N64 games that I didn't have yet, all for $10 bucks and good titles too boot! Super cool dude..

Then I called up an old friend on the way back home here in Ohio that I knew used to have a Top Loader NES back in the day. It turns out he still had it and agreed to sell it! :-D So I ended up getting it with a zapper and some controllers (no dogbone :'( though). Also 14 games, 7 of which I didn't have in my collection and 8 SNES games, including Zelda and Super Mario RPG, plus some other good titles I didn't have yet either. So I got a few dupes outta the deal from both the NES and SNES games but that's ok since I plan on selling some system bundles I'm gonna put together soon. Overall that was one hell of a score for only $50 bucks! Lovin' the Top Loader for sure, It was filthy but now she looks like a rose! It's a nice companion to my nice working, minty looking Toaster I scooped up off eBay for $29 dollars. It's been a good week! Now if I could only find some ColecoVision out in the wild, I'd be set! :o :-D B-) Cheers

post-37932-0-97935100-1391233848_thumb.jpg

post-37932-0-67559900-1391234013_thumb.jpg

post-37932-0-54140800-1391234188_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Another $10 "box o' crap" from Computers for Kids yardsale. Red Baron, Elite, and Telewar II are Amiga, everything else is DOS. It was cool to find a boxed Soundblaster 16 and the ISA video card since I'd love to find a 486 game for PC gaming and those are good pieces for a build. Threw in a dusty Competition Pro joystick and NBA Live 97 because they looked sad sitting on the shelf :)

cfk1feb1_zpsd620f006.jpg

cfk2feb1_zps369bf14d.jpg

• Like 4

Been to a retrofair today and picked up the following:

ZX81 with 16Kb ram expansion 6 euro. Zx81 works, rampack not.

Asterix loose cart - Atari 2600 8 euro. Played that game a lot back in the day. It was one of my favorite games.

Body Harvest loose cart - N64 1 euro.

F1 Pole position 64 loose cart -N64 1 euro

Star Wars Rogue squadron loose cart - N64 5 euro

Carmageddon 64 boxed - N64 3 euro

Railroad Tycoon II complete - Dreamcast 3 euro

Need for speed prostreet complete - DS - 3 euro

The Eternal Dagger box complete except disk - c64 1 euro

4 loose psp games for 5 euro

Medical resurrection

Daxter

Buzz Brain Bender

Resistance Retribution

post-5654-0-44610500-1391379724_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seob
  • Like 2

It's a amazing what you guys find at your local Goodwill, but every time I decide to look for a great find or deal. I end up finding sports games and "NOTHING"! Just the other day, we drove to a local thrift store and found a SNES behind the counter, As we waited for assistant, we were unable to figure out what the game was. We were getting really excited because we thought we hit it big. As she came around the counter and opened the door to the glass counter. It was revealed to us that it was a Barbie game. Boy! We were shot done from the skies and were brought back to reality!

It was revealed to us that it was a Barbie game. Boy! We were shot done from the skies and were brought back to reality!

I always expect it to be a sports title or something, so I am never disappointed when I am correct =) Most of the time, I don't even have the patience to wait for someone to show it to me.

It's a amazing what you guys find at your local Goodwill, but every time I decide to look for a great find or deal. I end up finding sports games and "NOTHING"! Just the other day, we drove to a local thrift store and found a SNES behind the counter, As we waited for assistant, we were unable to figure out what the game was. We were getting really excited because we thought we hit it big. As she came around the counter and opened the door to the glass counter. It was revealed to us that it was a Barbie game. Boy! We were shot done from the skies and were brought back to reality!

There really hasn't been anything at ours for quite some time… not even old sports titles. Slim selection of DVDs and video tapes where the games used to be. Glass case is full of gaudy jewelry. Clothes, broken dishes, toys, and knock offs of George Foremen grills round out the rest of the selection

I guess everything could be going to one of their computer works stores… or all of the good stuff goes on auction now and maybe they pitch the rest. Who knows….