IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Incredible find! Congrats!

So, what exactly is kingsday?

Well in the Netherlands we have the Royal family as our head of state. So every year we are celebrating his birthday. We all dress in orange cloths, do all kinds of old Dutch games, go cycling and have a lot of fleamarkets.

Have a look here http://stuffdutchpeoplelike.com/2014/04/25/no-58-kings-day-koningsdag/

Edited by Seob
  • Like 1

Good news, bad news, ugly news.

Good: was at Salvation Army when they wheeled out a bunch of music CD and DVD. Found a few PSP and PS2 games, mostly common titles and sports. I did pick up Intellivision Lives (no manual) and grabbed Ys I & II Chronicles and Ys Seven for PSP. I didn't check the PSP games until after I got home. Ys 7 is complete but Ys I and II is missing the disc :x

That was the bad news. I would have to come back tomorrow and dig in their bin and ask them if the disc turned up but chances are it was still in a PSP somewhere that either was sent to a different SA store, was stolen before I got to it (it's not unusual to see people snooping in donation bin for freebies), or was already lost before the case was donated. $2.99 each for the PS2 and PSP games so I will keep the nice case and nice manual in case a loose disc pops up on eBay cheap. (CIB seems to be $20+)

Ugly: Goodwill is raising price. Up until recently, all PS2, PS3, XBox, XBox360, and Wii games were priced $1.99 but today they all were now $5.99 Guess those shit common sports title will be piling up faster than ever. PSX games still gets 99 cents rate because most of the time they can't tell them apart from normal 99 cents music CDs. And almost always icky common title that aren't worth the cracked case with wrinkled manual and scratched up to hell disc. I have not seen anything not in sport genere in ages.

Goodwill prices are all over the map. It depends on the store and probably depends on the manager. You'd think with their website and cherrypicking agreements and all there would be a little more consistency, but from my experience there really isn't.

Yeah I was recently disappointed by the Goodwill near me. I got excited at first because they cleaned up their record section and looked like they got a bunch of new ones in. Then the guy told me that they had a special section in the cabinet. Apparently some genius decided he knows which records are valuable and separated them out put them under the cabinet instead of being a dollar they're $10 and $20. He had a whole stack of Johnny Cash albums for $19.99. I don't think any of them were worth quite that much.

..a RDI Halcyon :o total was under $700 so I was more than happy to pay that, plus I got the Raiders Football Halcyon games so even more icing on the cake :-D

Pics or it didn't happen. That's my ultimate holy grail, which I will probably never find, considering the fact I think only 500 or so made it out. Half of one went for $2K a while back.

You actually found Halcyon stuff in the wild? Pics?

Yes, please! I wonder, though, did you just get the LD player or did you get the whole thing? I think the LD player is simply a rebadged Pioneer (can't remember the model number) and it seems a lot more players were made than whole units. If you got the whole thing, just about the find of a lifetime!

Yes, please! I wonder, though, did you just get the LD player or did you get the whole thing? I think the LD player is simply a rebadged Pioneer (can't remember the model number) and it seems a lot more players were made than whole units. If you got the whole thing, just about the find of a lifetime!

Pretty sure he won the non-working rebadged LD-700 that was on Ebay with a few pieces of Halcyon paperwork and the Football disc. Of course, he promptly canceled the sale which was a dick move IMHO and it was resold for a bit less to another buyer.

Been awhile since I have posted any "thrift finds" here! I have found loads of stuff but I'll just post this most recent cool item.

For 2.99 + tax a AMSTRAD PCW-8256 (no keyboard) I bought that separate after I got the PCW home!

PCW-8256_zps84wnd406.jpg

• Like 1

post-5812-0-82211300-1462417657_thumb.jpgpost-5812-0-21301500-1462417667_thumb.jpg

Got a bunch of stuff in a craigslist lot. I found the Lynx first and then bought some other items from him. The entire thing cost me $119. I would've offered $120, but I had the $119 without going to the bank and the guy accepted.

Lynx

Atari Lynx II (restored) - he said it has new caps

Paperboy

Batman Returns

Shadow of the Beast

Rygar

Viking Child

Pinball Jam

Electrocop

Gameboy

Tennis

Quest for Camelot

Bionic Commando

Micro Machines

Toy Story 2

Skate or Die 2

Star Wars ESB

SNES

Aladdin

Uni-Racers

Judge Dredd

Outlander

Super Offroad Baja

Genesis

Sub Terrania

Bio Hazard Battle

Road Rash II

I've never owned or even touched a Lynx before, so I'm pretty excited. Any recommendations? What is a good substitute AC adapter for it?

I don't see Roadblasters or Toki in that list, so definitely pick up those. As for AC adapters, I dunno. I know some folks (including myself, heh) have replaced the fluorescent lighting with white LEDs to increase battery life, but it can result in a washed out picture (as it did with me).

• Like 1

XQB12fi.jpg

Picked up Big Bird Egg Catch $2.99 and 7800 Food Fight $1.99 (mostly to encourage them to put more 2600 games out rather than on eBay or shopgoodwill site) and left the rest. No console anywhere and they had no idea about it.

I also found this:

vrufkrW.jpg

For some reason I thought I had found another 2600 game in the same Goodwill but it was just an 8-track tape.

"Hey, it's Journey!"

That's not just any 8-track you've got there.

Michigan had their annual M-15 sale trail this weekend and I got up about half of the M-15 before I called it on account of tired feet. Still got other half, maybe tomorrow?

I few things of interest. FB2 console with joystick for way too much, PSX console that looked like it got pissed on for way too much, DS with busted screen for way too much, and crapload of games. They were either really lousy or too much. :/

Picked up PS2 Final Fantasy X CIB (GH edition) for $1, Entex BJ and Gin with manual for $1, and a 1979 Parker Bros pinball for 25 cents. Need to check those 2, BJ and Gin looked clean and good but the pinball game got little bit of brown goo like melted chocolate and rusted battery contacts so I'll take this one apart to clean the plastic. It does have external power in that looks like 2600 standard so I'll check that.

I did manage to snag a large bag for $30: an XBox 360, 3 official 360 controllers (with 2 battery packs), 2 power supply bricks, Sony PS3 controller, a couple HDMI cables, an old Motorola cell phone (doesn't power on, no sim card) and 29 universal remote controllers. I guess it may have been leftover from a defunct hotel? I don't have video cable so I'd need to pick it up to test the XBox360 but considering it was cheap, I bet it has RRoD.

A9845Lc.jpg

No idea what I'll do with 29 universal remotes, probably donate them to charity and let them deal with it :D I did remove all the batteries before anything could happen, all those batteries will probably get me about 20 minutes on my Turboexpress. The busted phone isn't worth the shipping cost according to fleeceBay so I'll probably add it to pile of recyclables as my local place accepts old and unwanted electronics.

I've always wanted one of those Wildfire Pinball games, just not willing to pay what people want for them on ebay.

Got another coco 2 on ebay for $15+ shipping. A nice 64K model and thanks to a fellow collector who pointed it out, I got a CIB Star Trek Judgment Rites for the PC for $10 from Value Village. Its got all the paper work and is the floppy version, with 11 disks. Has the clue book too which I think was originally sold separately. Nice to find something from my wanted list in the wild for a change instead of relying on online sources.

Took apart the pinball game, the goo is from the old tapes holding down wires to battery posts. Looks like the old glue melted or something and turned to ooze and oozed down the gaps. The board looks intact and I had flashing LEDs when I tested the power. What the heck did Entex use for tape? taffy candy???

TvsgegX.jpg?1

PS3 80 GB fat 4-usb port. $15

I see these a lot, but they usually look beat up and are stripped of anything good. On this one the memory card flap was broken off, but the screws for the HD were there and the warranty sticker looked untouched. Took a gamble. It works. Reads discs. Longevity test seems OK.

Also, Dragon's Lair PC CD-Rom, $1.

I picked up bomberman 64 for 14 at a shop which isn't special but the shop itself is new and super cool. Full of TMNT and star wars figs, comics, and games. I talked to the one owner and she collects for SNES and N64. She uses eBay when sets prices lower. Was all very reasonable and I will definitely be a repeat costumer.

Found these 21 boxed PC games yesterday at the Thrift Depot in Reno, NV. All for $48 (about $2.28 each):

post-30739-0-87535000-1462753511_thumb.jpg

Most are complete with original paperwork/warranty cards/etc and the discs/disks are in good condition. The Tomb Raider games have the Eidos demo discs as well.

• Like 4