IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

How do you guys find all that awesome stuff at thrift stores? I searched through several thrift stores and the closest thing I could find to classic video games was an alarm clock.

I did get a colecovision with 6 games (donkey kong, Q*bert, ladybug, subroc, carnival, and root beer tapper all with manuels) for $10 at a flea market.

I also picked up a model 2 genesis at the dump with 2 controllers but no av cables, ac adapter, or games.

How do you guys find all that awesome stuff at thrift stores? I searched through several thrift stores and the closest thing I could find to classic video games was an alarm clock.

I did get a colecovision with 6 games (donkey kong, Q*bert, ladybug, subroc, carnival, and root beer tapper all with manuels) for $10 at a flea market.

I also picked up a model 2 genesis at the dump with 2 controllers but no av cables, ac adapter, or games.

I didn't buy it at a thrift shop. I got it from some lady I was talking to at a thrift shop and she said, and I quote, "I didn't know people wanted these old things".

Got a Intellivision I with about a dozen games/manuals/overlays and yet another Sears light sixer with a dozen games/manuals at an estate sale. Since I already have a Sears light sixer, it will be going up for sale/trade after I test it. Picked it all up for the Intellivision I since I've never had one, and the guy wouldn't just sell that separately. Pretty good week for not even trying!

Got my Atari XL/XE version of SW:Arcade in the mail via evilbay ($2.25 + shipping = $7.00) - not pictured

Sonic 3 - cart and case only $1.99

Midway Arcade Treasures for Gamecube CIB $7.00

Mach Rider for NES - $3

3 NES games from another thrift - Top Gun Second Mission, Duck Tales, Chip and Dale - $5 for all 3

Donkey Kong Country 2 Diddy Kongs Quest - $1.99

Crash Dive - $2

post-2493-12708272226_thumb.jpg

You keep going, week after week.

There are six thrift stores within about ten minutes of where I live, and a seventh just a bit farther. Every Saturday my roommate and I hit these stores, trying our luck. Most weekends its a handful of CDs or a book or two, but every once in a while we'll strike paydirt. My last half-decent video game haul was about 80 Atari 2600 cartridges, mostly commons, but with a handful of more uncommon titles to justify the price of the whole lot. That was a month ago.

That's not bad! Hit the flea market each week too, if it's not too far out of the way. Hit the dump at your discretion. :)

My method is to hit thrifts on weekdays. Weekends the ones I'm close to are pretty well picked over. There are also several thrifts that have special half price days (be early those days), and also have certain color tags for 50% off. Find out the day that they change those colors and there will be a bunch of merch that's freshly half off!

Today I found;

N64 Toy Story 2 - $2

limited edition spider-man fat PS2 console (kid put spidey sticker on it! ;) ) - works! - $7

memorex 5" color TV with RCA input jacks - $2.50

Got some good CD's for $1 each. Soundgarden - Superunknown, Sublime, Pearl Jam - Ten, Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmossis. Also got a 19" LCD Monitor that looks like it was in a tobacco factory for $2.

Those are all great albums, especially Ozzmosis. That's the record Ozzy should have retired on.

The dreaded Sumguy bought an NES toploader, 20 games and 3 dogbone controllers right in front of me for $15 at a yard sale today. That would have been a sweet add to my collection and sell what I don't want purchase. Dejected, I bought a copy of POD for Dreamcast for .25 cents and went on my merry way.

Got some good CD's for $1 each. Soundgarden - Superunknown, Sublime, Pearl Jam - Ten, Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmossis. Also got a 19" LCD Monitor that looks like it was in a tobacco factory for $2.

Those are all great albums, especially Ozzmosis. That's the record Ozzy should have retired on.

Yeah. Thunder Underground is unbelievable.

the free local weekly paper sponsored a massive garage sale today.

i got there an hour after it started and walked away with:

-Dreamcast w/ 2 controllers, ac , demo game for $8

-Mad Catz N64 steering wheel/pedal combo for $3

-N64 console, no controllers or av but with ac $4

-2 SNES sports games for $1

the DC i picked up last week had the av cable but no ac and the one i picked up today had ac cable but no av, so i think that worked out nice. i've tried them both out & they both work! yay!

Edited by Smatchmo

I had an unfortunate run with "Sumguy" today. This time, Sumguy was my little brother. My brother got to a garage sale before I did, and he picked up a SNES console, Kirby Superstar, Battletoads Battlemania, and Boogerman for $10. That little bastard. But, he was nice enough to point out the remaining games. I picked up Tetris Attack, Out of this World, and Run Saber for $5.

I had a pretty good day at yard sales this morning.

post-4103-127091890752_thumb.jpg post-4103-127091891348_thumb.jpg

post-4103-12709189178_thumb.jpg

$10 for All the SNES games, controllers and random cords.

$10 for the N64 system with cords, controllers, a "mystery" game (haven't checked yet) three other games and an XBOX DVD remote.

$11 for All DVD's

$5 for PS1 Final Fantasy VII which was marked $10 but I pointed out that they are missing Disc 1. Still, 5 bucks for Disc 2 & 3 plus case and booklet.

$4 for PS1 Final Fantasy Tactics and PS1 You Don't Know Jack.

$3.60 for All VHS, Honda Goldwing repair manual and a Bill Clinton 6 CD Audio, LOL! I picked all this up at a church sale and the videos are strange and I figured many probably didn't make it to DVD although I got David Blaine for my daughter. I have to check ebay or Amazon but couldn't pass these up for a quarter each...the one guy is Live at Six Flags! :lolblue:

My wife and I spent about three hours or so and that SNES deal was well worth all the sales that we went to that had nothing. Under $45 for everything pictured.

Found a Sega CDX and a 32x together with the av cables for $25. Also found a APF TV Fun Pong game for 50 cents. Is the 32x compatible with the CDX? The CDX works but I cant get any of my 32x's to work with it.

Nice find! Dose it have that odd looking AV cable for the 32X also or just for the CDX?

That CDX alone is worth more than what you paid.

Edited by shadow460

Found a Sega CDX and a 32x together with the av cables for $25. Also found a APF TV Fun Pong game for 50 cents. Is the 32x compatible with the CDX? The CDX works but I cant get any of my 32x's to work with it.

Nice find! Dose it have that odd looking AV cable for the 32X also or just for the CDX?

That CDX alone is worth more than what you paid.

No the 32x av cable wasnt with it but I had one already.

Most of my finds lately kinda suck except to me, but today I got a Call of Duty for Windows, the original CoD. I thought it was the United Offensive expansion, but when I got it home, I realized it wasn't, and I already have the original. So, it's going in my trades pile like everything else I've found lately!

Oh, and found a SUPER nice woodgrain 5.25" disk holder... holds about 100. I have it's twin already, so super nice deal. Been finding a ton of cheap 3.5" disk holders lately that I've been snapping up too.