IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I made the rounds to just about every thrift store and pawn shop i could find. I didn`t find anything with Atari on it at all. Until the last place i went, just as i was leaving, i saw a cabinet full of games. The had about a dozen Atari 2600, about 20 Colecovision and Intellivision(Couldn`t tell the difference in the carts too well) and about 10 Odyssey 2 games. None of them were rare as i could tell, but some were $1 a piece listed. I might go back and get them, but since id on`t have a Colecovision or Intellivision, or even an Odessey 2, i don`t have much use for them. But they did have a boxed game for the 2600 called Eli's Ladder or something like that, it looked pretty crappy...

And they had the Intellivision Voice-Box thingy, it was $3. I don`t know if it's worth more or not. Should i pick it up though??

Anyways, i`m going to deffiantly check that place out regularly. Since it seems that nowhere has any classic games besides S/NES. But i did find something interesting, it was a modem, and it said "VIC Modem" on the casing. Is this for the VIC 20?? or just something else?? and if it is for the VIC, any use in getting it??

I might go back and get them, but since id on`t have a Colecovision or Intellivision, or even an Odessey 2, i don`t have much use for them.

That would be a big mistake. If you find a Colecovision, Intellivision, or Odessey 2 down the road, you'll kick yourself for not picking them up when you had the chance.

At the very least, they'd make good trade bait or extra ebay money for what you do want.

Lol, i was hoping someone would catch that MM Fan!!!

AtariLeaf: You have a very good point. Maybe i`ll get back there pretty soon and pick some of them up

Going "BACK" for stuff is really nerv-racking. I recall hideing a Megadrive II

console behind a box for 1 day until I got paid. I could hardly sleep thinking

someone could still get there first.

So I don't go thrifting unless I have some cold hard cash on hand ;)

Hee hee, yeah, it's like record conventions here, sometimes you don't find squat, at other times you wish you had 200 bucks! I know the feeling... :(

Hee hee, yeah, it's like record conventions here, sometimes you don't find squat, at other times you wish you had 200 bucks! I know the feeling... :(

Yeah knowing you're missing out is worst than actually missing out :lol:

Every time I go record shoping I'll spend over $60 (At $20 an E.p it gets expensive quick :o )

And have spent over $300 in one spree :twisted: (but that was when I was working. NOW I'd be lucky to scrape together $50 to spend on Records)

Every time I go record shoping I'll spend over $60 (At $20 an E.p it gets expensive quick :o )

And have spent over $300 in one spree  :twisted: (but that was when I was working. NOW I'd be lucky to scrape together $50 to spend on Records)

Yeah I haven't bought a cd in over a year now, but at least I've got cds that I bought from a few conventions ago as back-ups; it's good to stock up when you can!

Went to the Salvation Army today and found two NES carts, they were Tecmo Super Bowl and Kid Icarus. Kid Icarus is always a good one for tradebait or ebait so I picked it up. Price: $5.25!!! That's the most expensive thrift price I've seen for a NES cart yet. They just keep going up and up. Still, I considered Kid Icarus "worth" that amount, so why am I complaining! :P

I've never paid over $3 for common NES carts.

I picked up a loose Super Mario All Stars for the SNES at a thrift shop today. That was all they had for video games as I pretty much cleaned the place out a few weeks back. I'm glad I found this because I want to play the original Mario Bros...but on the SNES.

Finaly got myself a working Sega Master System II today :D

$7 all hookups, 2 really nasty looking controllers (see the wiers one didnt have the D pad)

and 3 games, Hevyweight Champ, Super Tennis and Basketball nightmare in a Land of illusion Box.

I already have 17 games for SMS so now I can play them :D

Found a new outdoor market :D Lots of gameing stuff (a heck of a lot :D )

I haggled a Master system with control stick 1 lose cart and 1 boxed card

to $15. Before today I didn't even know the control stick "or" Game cards

even existed. So that was a great find :D

I found a huge pile of 2600 carts but didn't buy any even though

I needed a lot of them. just to expensive with no garentee they would work.

Saw a Sega CD but was afraid to ask, besides I was broke by this point ;)

I've been told of a New Flea that Operates early Friday (???) Mornings down at the poor end of my City, which is about 10km away. I'm gonn a check it out If i'm awake at 4am next week, Heard theirs about 80 car lots of stuff at 3am. Anyway, I didn't find Much Today, I found a Dead Sound Sega Game Gear with 4 Rare Games for A$15. The areas being dry lately, so I hope this new outdoor Friday Flea I found is good.

I picked up 5 more NES games for my collection to make it 40 games total in my NES collection. The games are:

-Golf

-Eliminator Boat Duel

-Rally Bike

-American Gladiators w/th instructions

-Rambo w/th instructions

Total came to $15-16 for all games. Not too bad. Got them from Gamestop. They also had a few other good SNES games but they were priced too high. It's funny cuz most of the Genesis games they have..rarely go up to $10 a cart.

I spoke with the employees. They said that they wouldn't start phasing out NES stuff until the summertime. I thought it would start sooner but who knows?

lol. I like reading this thread, but it kills me all the same. I'm in college with no flea markets in sight and the nearest goodwill is far from being withing walking distance. It drives me nuts! There's just no replacement for that feeling when you find a box of Atari games for 10 bucks. :D

lol.  I like reading this thread, but it kills me all the same.  I'm in college with no flea markets in sight and the nearest goodwill is far from being withing walking distance.  It drives me nuts!  There's just no replacement for that feeling when you find a box of Atari games for 10 bucks.  :D

Hey man, I know the feeling! I've got a nice, new, big Salvation Army store not even five minutes from here that's been mocking me for the last couple of months for me to come in and check it out, which I probably will finally be doing tomorrow. I just haven't been working though, although I've made a lot of trades though...but then again, I've got mostly commons left in my collection, so I'll have to pick up some tradebait eventually anyway!

For the record, I've had decent deals the only couple of times I've found Atari games, which was buying Airlock (just to see if it was as bad and as hard as I had heard it was) and Kaboom for 25 cents each, and then 7800 Centipede for about $1.99 (both of these times were 10 years ago, and I've never really bothered since until recently!), which I should've bought 2600 Gravitar for $1.99 then, which was stupid, since Centipede's really common! Oh well.

lol.  I like reading this thread, but it kills me all the same.  I'm in college with no flea markets in sight and the nearest goodwill is far from being withing walking distance.  It drives me nuts!  There's just no replacement for that feeling when you find a box of Atari games for 10 bucks.  :D

I'm working full time and going to college part time, so it's really hard for me to be spending money on my "addiction", which is collecting video games for different systems. Eventually, I'll have to cut back on EBay and buying video game stuff for a while.

I had my first real find in a few months. Sadly it was all for the INTV. A

system which holds little interest for me yet I keep finding stuff for that

I feel strangely compelled to buy. Several times I have come close to

selling it all only to back down. Anyhow here is what I found for $2 US

each.

* inlay

x manual

AD&D*x

AD&D Treasure of Tarmin *

Demon Attack*x

Nova Blast*x

Microsurgeon

Dreadnaught Factor*x

Not a bad haul of 3rd Party games plus the two AD&D games which I've

been curious about for a while.

John

I had my first real find in a few months. Sadly it was all for the INTV. A

system which holds little interest for me yet I keep finding stuff for that

I feel strangely compelled to buy. Several times I have come close to

selling it all only to back down. Anyhow here is what I found for $2 US

each.

* inlay

x manual

AD&D*x

AD&D Treasure of Tarmin *

Demon Attack*x

Nova Blast*x

Microsurgeon

Dreadnaught Factor*x

Not a bad haul of 3rd Party games plus the two AD&D games which I've

been curious about for a while.

John

The latter three would all be worth $2 to me. All the rest I found CIB for $1. :D

Man, my luck lately has been unbelievable! Today at Goodwill I got a motherload of mint in box atari 8-bit games. I've listed details below. There are some real gems here and everything was well taken care of. I know it's really difficult to find a lot of 8 bit carts complete with box. This lot did set me back $40, but it was WELL worth it IMHO. I got:

Robotron:2084 (CB,no instructions or joystick coupler :()

Joust (CIB)

Jungle Hunt (CIB)

Donkey Kong (CIB)

Donkey Kong Jr. (CIB)

Dig Dug (CIB)

Pole Position (CIB)

Pac-Man (CIB)

Congo Bongo (CIB)

Webster word game (CIB)

Peanut Butter Panic (CIB)

Alphabet Zoo (CIB)

Pitfall (CIB)

Logic Levels (CIB)

Fraction Fever (CIB)

James Bond 007 (CIB)

Super Cobra (CIB)

Frogger (CIB)

Star Wars:Death Star Battle (CIB)

Popeye (CIB)

There was also 6 cassette games (Ghostbusters,a spell casting game, Kid Writter or something.... anyway those are pretty much crapola besides Ghostbusters.

Also snagged an origional orange odyssey 100 for $5 and it works! This is even better than last week when I found 99 loose 2600 games for $25.

I just can't beleive my luck lately. I'm glad it's happening so close to Philly. Maybe now I can work out some trades. :) :) :)

MattG.

Thats a good find. although anything CIB is a good find :D

I'v never seen an Atari 8-bit computer or games since I started

collecting :(

Anyway todays haul netted:

Another Dreamcast Games Rack (other one was full)

Sega Bass Fishing in Box with controller ($40 :D )

Virtua fighter 3tb

Red Dog

And Shenmue II limited edition if you count eBay. Should be playing in

at least a week (or when I learn Japanese ;) ) Bringing my total DC imports to 2 :)

Alls i have managed to get my hands on since moving north to brisbane aus is a few master system carts. The thrift stores here really suck badly and im picturing that %50 of the population doesnt work and have discovered ebay.

Anyways, 2 months ago before leaving sydney i picked up the following:

PacMan - nes

donkey kong - g&w

almost every imagic game for inty - boxed with overlays, instructions

64 in one, 2600 cart with switches

32 in one, 2600 cart with switches

and the rest that i can't remember now,,,,,

o, nice to back online, and breathing