IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

orangest, I'm jealous over that Spy Hunter shirt!

The thrift I volunteer at saved me some good stuff this week:

post-6115-0-72200400-1379206448_thumb.jpg

I had to pry 10-plus-year-old batteries out of the battery compartment, but at least it still had the cover! Both console and game work like a charm.

post-6115-0-45929300-1379206552_thumb.jpg

The Gear itself seems to have the familiar cap issue. Sound is okay, but power keeps cutting out and the screen has a very skewed viewing angle, even at max brightness. The games are fine, though, and I'll have several of them for sale in the thrift store sale thread soon.

post-6115-0-18973100-1379206633_thumb.jpg

Still sealed! This one will also be up for grabs.

Edited by FujiSkunk
  • Like 3

Colecovision (AC, 2 controllers)

Sega Master System [model 1] (RF, 2 controllers, gun)

Atari 810 [garage door model] (AC)

and...

Atari 1200XL (AC, controller)

All for $20! I was asking the guy each one individually. He responded $15 for each one. He then said $40 for all. He bumped it down to $25 in under 30 seconds. So I countered with $20.

Little tip: if the seller is first to crack, 9 times outta 10, he'll go a little farther.

• Like 2

Over the weekend, at a large flea market upstate and a local yard sale in town, I spent about $50 total and ended up with:

4 Saturn games (inc. Enemy Zero), one CIB and 3 boxed, all in clean cases
2 Game Boy games (inc. Dr. Franken II, which I guess is somewhat rare)
2 GameCube games (Go! Go! Hypergrind & Spy Hunter)
12 PlayStation games (inc. Crash Bandicoot), mostly CIB, plus the case to Klonoa
2 Jaguar controllers
1 Genesis game
4 assorted Genesis manuals (including Pirates! Gold) & 1 N64 manual
plus the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 1 DVD set, another DVD, a 7-inch record, and 2 big-box PC games
Not my most amazing haul ever, but still pretty decent, and I was very happy to find Enemy Zero even without the manual. Some of the PlayStation games I got were absolutely mint, like Darkstone and Tenchu 2. It would've been nice if Klonoa at least had the disc, but the case is better than nothing!
The weird thing was, the night before we left for the flea market (at 5:30 a.m.) I thought to myself "I think I'll find some Jaguar stuff tomorrow." And I've never, ever seen any Jaguar stuff in the wild, but the next day, there were those two controllers!
Unfortunately the seller didn't have anything else for the Jag, though I got the Saturn games and manual. One of the controllers had several badly bent pins, which I didn't notice until after I bought them, but I fixed it last night. No console to test it on, though, and I'm not sure if I want to get one just yet -- I sort of promised myself that I'd play through more 32X and/or 3DO games before getting into another "killed by the PlayStation" console. Heck, I've barely even played my Saturn...
BTW one of the PlayStation games I got was Motocross Mania, and it has the worst label art I've ever seen on a professional release -- it looks like a cheap photocopy! No idea what happened there...

It would've been nice if Klonoa at least had the disc, but the case is better than nothing!

The remake for the Wii is pretty cool (you can even choose between actual voice acting, and the "animalese" from the original game). I'm a lot more used to the GBA game though, which is almost completely different...a lot more puzzle oriented.

Got some items from captmorgandrink - a pair of Indy 500 controllers, a text label Indy 500 and backgammon and speaking of Indy, last week I picked up a copy of Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings for the Wii for $5 and I believe I spent $4.99 too much for it.

I played the psp version and i liked that games, so when i found indiana for the wii for 5 euro i picked it up. But you're right about paying 4, 99 to much. That game shows what happens when motion controls aren't worked out right.

It is almost impossible to make the right moves to control indy.

Edited by Seob

I played the psp version and i liked that games, so when i found indiana for the wii for 5 euro i picked it up. But you're right about paying 4, 99 to much. That game shows what happens when motion controls aren't worked out right.

It is almost impossible to make the right moves to control indy.

I got to the airplane part near the beginning and the control was so twitchy and sensitive it was impossible to play. Games like this should ALWAYS have an option to use the classic controller.

traded in the ill-conceived Indiana jones wii game at the game store and used the partial credit to get a famicom-to-NES adapter for $8. Now I can scour ebay for some of those famicom arcade ports like Exerion, Galaxian, Dig Dug, Mappy, and Pooyan.

Don't forget Choplifter and Pac-Land, if you want to be thorough.

Edited by FujiSkunk
  • Like 1

Finally had some decent finds today...

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay: Developer's Cut for $4 B) I guess the easy-to-find Dark Athena remake leaves out a bunch of stuff from the original. It's a "Game with MSI!" OEM version, hopefully it's not designed to only run on that hardware =|

Alone in the Dark 2 for DOS.

100 Wild Little Weird Tales, some Barnes & Noble compilation of stories from Weird Tales magazine.

A complete copy of Mille Bornes card game from 1962. I've heard good things about it, and told myself I'd come back for it when I saw it one day, but it was gone. Turns out they sent it to their other store.

Sidekicks on VHS B) I saw this movie back when it came out at the cheap theatre and always kind of liked it, but it looks like it will never be on DVD, so I rescued it. "BARRY (JONATHAN BRANDIS) lives in a world of fantasy, where he imagines himself the trusty sidekick of action superstar CHUCK NORRIS", how can you not like it??

• Like 1

An embarrassment of riches!

post-6115-0-13307300-1379823357_thumb.jpg

Yet another Game Gear has fallen victim to its capacitors, but at least this one doesn't cut power constantly. The games all work and I was happy to get Bust-a-Move for my collection, as well as the car adapter. Several of the games are now for sale on behalf of the thrift store they came from.

post-6115-0-87458700-1379823953_thumb.jpg

Interestingly, this Game Gear came with a spare screen as well. I may have to see how easy it would be to swap this out with the one in my Majesco Game Gear, so I can finally have those dots in their red, green and blue glory!

post-6115-0-92412100-1379824158_thumb.jpg

This was fun. The padding inside this collection's carrying case had disintegrated, leaving everything coated in a sticky, powdery mess. I took this picture after spending some time cleaning everything up, but as you can see, I still had a ways to go. I haven't yet tested the hardware, but if it works, the Game Boy will be up for sale. The cartridges are available now.

post-6115-0-73319900-1379824556_thumb.jpg

We're getting older! After showing this to me, the manager of the store said he wondered if this had anything to do with "this box we've had back in the closet here." "This box" turned out to be...

post-6115-0-03189200-1379825050_thumb.jpg

I explained the two consoles are actually different items that just happen to have the same brand. As for this goody, the internals of the box are missing, and so is Target Fun, but there were two joysticks, a pair of paddles and a power supply along with what's in the picture, so they may all well have come out of that box originally. It's not a heavy-sixer, but if it works I'll have it up for sale also.

post-6115-0-28638500-1379825452_thumb.jpg

And finally, more great musical bits from the '80s!

Edited by FujiSkunk
  • Like 2

found quite a few things at goodwill got a clear pink gameboy advance with a car charger and light/magnifying glass for 5 bucks found original gameboy for 3 bucks, two ps2 games and 1 ps1 game destroy all humans 2, mx vs atv unleashed,and jet moto 2 and a 3rd party gamecube controller and a ps2 controller games are all complete and were 3 bucks each and the controllers were 2 bucks each

Colecovision (AC, 2 controllers)

Sega Master System [model 1] (RF, 2 controllers, gun)

Atari 810 [garage door model] (AC)

and...

Atari 1200XL (AC, controller)

All for $20! I was asking the guy each one individually. He responded $15 for each one. He then said $40 for all. He bumped it down to $25 in under 30 seconds. So I countered with $20.

Little tip: if the seller is first to crack, 9 times outta 10, he'll go a little farther.

I wish my area was still rich with vintage finds. I think people in CT just throw stuff away. It's maddening.

A couple of nice pickups here, the first was from my local PawnAmerica. Managed to get them to take $10 off this bundle:

4oP1Ms8.jpg

Now I'm only missing a boxed Sonic 3D Blast to complete my boxed Genesis era Sonic games (including Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic CD)!

And I also snapped this lot up after trading some garbage-ass SNES/NES games (super common stuff like Super R-Type, Pitfall, Tetris 2, etc.)

tSahcbi.jpg

(That isn't me in the mandals.)

• Like 3

A couple for this week:

Found a Sony digital surround sound receiver with speakers at one thrift for $30, and the subwoofer for same at another thrift for $20. I can't play my Xbox 360 without it now.

I also found the Atari Wireless Joystick set at a 3rd thrift for $15. I need a fresh set of 9V batteries to properly test it, and I need to play with the pots inside it, the left player my range is utter garbage (more than 6 inches away, it acts like the fire button is pressed and nothing works), and right player goes up and right even with the antennas touching.

• Like 1

Used media store:

PSP AC adapter $7.99

Soul Fighter (DC) $2.99

Point Blank 2 (PS1) $5.99

Salvation Army:

Reel Fishing Wild (DC) $2

GameStop Universal System Selector $1.95 - A big chunk of the back corner is missing. One (of four) input doesn't work. One input only has mono sound.