IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Now's the time to buy CD's. Best Buy is pulling out of the market, and Target is demanding music companies allow them to minimize the risk of unsold discs (linky). You might remember Best Buy was one of the first big chains to abandon VHS. People wondered at the time if that was wise, but then everyone never looked back.

I'm actually planning on scaling back on CD's myself, at least for albums released before the CD era. I have more of a nostalgic attachment to the original vinyl, and now that sites are finally offering uncompressed audio files for sale, there is very little reason to hang onto all those discs. I'll keep a few that had bonus tracks or interesting packaging, but that's about it.

• Like 1

CD's are definitely on their way out, and almost to the point where they are "retro", which makes me feel SUPER old. I remember when my family brought home our first CD player: a Fisher stereo "rack" component system from long-gone Boston electronics retailer Lechmere. That was in 1988, and I think my dad said he paid almost $2000 for it! They still use the thing daily, but the CD player quit a few months ago, so I replaced it with a similar-vintage Sony one.

I actually just got a CD changer for my game room stereo system myself: a Denon unit that plays MP3 CD's. It was fun going through old MP3 mix CD's after years of forgetting what was on them.

I also find it funny (and sorta cool!) that vinyl is back in regular big box stores. I saw a mall vinyl display at Target recently which shocked me. I've been collecting vinyl on and off since the 90's when I discovered the Led Zeppelin records in my parents' record collection.

• Like 1

...now that sites are finally offering uncompressed audio files for sale, there is very little reason to hang onto all those discs.

I like having CDs because I don't have to worry about my DRM license expiring, I can play them almost anywhere, I can let people borrow them, I can trade them, the artwork/liner notes/posters/etc. are already printed out in high quality, I can get them dirt cheap, they don't waste hard drive space, they last a lot longer than CD-Rs, and it takes about five minutes to put one on my MP3 player.

Some digital download websites specialize in high-bitrate remasters, which is cool, but they're pretty expensive.

The only real drawback to me is that it's too much of a hassle with live albums, where a lot of them span multiple discs.

Found 3 sealed up new blu rays today at goodwill for $2 each -- Spaceballs, Goldfinger, and Highlander Director's Cut and I'm just starting spaceballs now. I haven't seen any of these movies in a decade or so. :D

May the Schwartz be with you! Funniest movie ever made :rolling:

So I was browsing Facebook garage sale groups that I am not even a member of. I ran across a guy selling Klonoa for $40. I messaged him and he said $60 pending P/U LOL whatever. I asked if he was holding or 1st come. He said first come and told me it was a really rare game. He has a store he sells video games out of, so I went up. While there he talked about how he could get $40 alone for the case and manual on ebay.

The manual has a little water damage and stuck pages that I pulled apart causing slight damage. The back insert has slight water damage on bottom corner. The game while it worked was horrible. I paid him the $60 for it anyhow. While I was there I was looking at the other games he had. I asked how much "Sunset Riders" was. He said what? I said the yellow label :) He told me $10...sold

I gave Klonoa a new jewel case and took it down to the local Game store and paid him $5 to resurface it. While not perfect way better than it was. Klonoa is already on ebay, I'll keep Sunset Riders.

post-25078-0-70336600-1519963759_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I like having CDs because I don't have to worry about my DRM license expiring

Any place that sells MP3s like Amazon sells them DRM-free, and I believe all of the hi-def places sell DRM-free FLACs and/or WAVs. I don't know if Apple still offers DRM-free iTunes files, but at one point they did.

I can play them almost anywhere

Even a chintzy 2GB MP3 player is more portable than a CD player, and can hold multiple CDs, even if you insist on high-bitrate conversions.

I can let people borrow them, I can trade them

This I'll give you, although technically it is possible to "borrow" and "trade" digital files, even in a way analogous to physical media. Whether it's ethical to do so, I leave as an exercise for the reader, but I personally have no problem with it.

the artwork/liner notes/posters/etc. are already printed out in high quality

This I fully agree with, and it's why I still intend to keep CD's of albums released after 1990, where the CD was the main media and so got the best packaging. Before that, I still say vinyl had better packaging.

they don't waste hard drive space

Just shelf space. :)

But don't worry, I'm just playing devil's advocate. If I had a bigger house I'd probably want to hang onto my CD collection as well. However, I've come to realize that if I keep and build upon all my current collections, even a bigger house would only buy me time. That's why I've been giving up my single-movie special-edition fancy-packaging DVDs for space-saving multi-movie Blu-ray box sets (and yet I still collect laserdiscs; go figure), and it's also why I plan giving up most discs of older music. Of course I'll still have "archives" (cough) but I'll make sure those archives are kosher by having the same album on vinyl before giving up the CD.

• Like 1

I had a few more nice things fall into my hands for little today which is a nice change. $5 netted me a bluetooth sound bar with an 8hr battery barely used in the box and a funtastic jungle green n64 controller. Another dollar found me getting this wicked backlight eye goggles looking radica made tank assault game. It's crazy good for what it is as you drive around in an M1A1 tank and have 2 d-pads for driving and turret, fire control, 3 weapons to switch between, and you can scan all tanks you find to see if they're friend or foe and friends give ammo/health fixes. Scores are retained, based on kills/stage you hit and not just points. Also has some rather decent audio for it too.

Early this week I found this odd PS1 game I never heard of before and finally just researched and discovered it is in fact point and click, and it's based upon some 2 season Canadian cartoon series that had been made by a Monty Python member Terry Jones called Blazing Dragons. It looks fascinating. I bought it to sell, but I think I may just keep it and see how that goes

• Like 1

Early this week I found this odd PS1 game I never heard of before and finally just researched and discovered it is in fact point and click, and it's based upon some 2 season Canadian cartoon series that had been made by a Monty Python member Terry Jones called Blazing Dragons. It looks fascinating. I bought it to sell, but I think I may just keep it and see how that goes

I've seen Blazing Dragons before but never played it. I have Discworld, though... point and click, based on Terry Pratchett's novels, main character voiced by Eric Idle... so it's kinda similar probably... =)

• Like 1

Any place that sells MP3s like Amazon sells them DRM-free, and I believe all of the hi-def places sell DRM-free FLACs and/or WAVs. I don't know if Apple still offers DRM-free iTunes files, but at one point they did.

Even a chintzy 2GB MP3 player is more portable than a CD player, and can hold multiple CDs, even if you insist on high-bitrate conversions.

This I'll give you, although technically it is possible to "borrow" and "trade" digital files, even in a way analogous to physical media. Whether it's ethical to do so, I leave as an exercise for the reader, but I personally have no problem with it.

This I fully agree with, and it's why I still intend to keep CD's of albums released after 1990, where the CD was the main media and so got the best packaging. Before that, I still say vinyl had better packaging.

Just shelf space. :)

But don't worry, I'm just playing devil's advocate. If I had a bigger house I'd probably want to hang onto my CD collection as well. However, I've come to realize that if I keep and build upon all my current collections, even a bigger house would only buy me time. That's why I've been giving up my single-movie special-edition fancy-packaging DVDs for space-saving multi-movie Blu-ray box sets (and yet I still collect laserdiscs; go figure), and it's also why I plan giving up most discs of older music. Of course I'll still have "archives" (cough) but I'll make sure those archives are kosher by having the same album on vinyl before giving up the CD.

What a buzzkill!

• Like 1

Any place that sells MP3s like Amazon sells them DRM-free...

Do they? I got an offer for a free album a while back, and it's been a while since I checked, but last time I did, they would only allow me to listen to it through their web-based music player.

Sure MP3s are more portable, but if you're at a friend's house, it's so easy to say "Oh, I have some CDs in my car, let me go grab them." I'm always surprised at the amount of home audio equipment that doesn't have input jacks.

Although to be fair, "home audio" is kind of a dying breed now. People prefer tiny earbuds, cheap cell phone speakers, cheaper tiny Bluetooth speakers, and super compressed streaming playlists these days.

This I'll give you, although technically it is possible to "borrow" and "trade" digital files, even in a way analogous to physical media.

The Microsoft Zune had a feature to lend music to other people who had Zunes, but that ship sank pretty quickly.

Sooo... I think the local Goodwill is going out of business... either that or remodeling or something. It was all fenced off with closed signs... didn't investigate. I never find anything there anyway.

We went to two other thrift stores, this weekend. And one actually had some game stuff. A few PS2 games I wasn't interested in, some DS games (mostly crappy kids/gameshow shovelware, but also a Tetris DS that I might go back for), a DJ Hero controller for the XBox 360... mostly stuff I didn't care for. But they did have something I had never seen before. A PS2 Online Startup CD. I didn't buy it because I have zero use for it, but thought it was interesting...

post-21069-0-45165200-1520219190_thumb.jpg

What movie?

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. At the end, Starlord is gifted a Zune being told 'it's what everyone on earth has now', allowing a joke at it's obsolescence & creating an excuse to keep using classic rock for the soundtrack.

Personally, I'm amazed Microsoft didn't jump on that endorsement to re-release the things.

Ahh... the Zune! My wife and I had them. She had the original 30GB model (in woodgrain!!!) but it got stolen. I later bought an 80GB 2nd gen Zune, which was great... for all of 6 months. Like many Microsoft devices do, it ate its own OS and stopped working when trying to update it. I put in a warranty claim with Microsoft but never heard back, so I replaced it with an iPod Classic 80GB, which still works after taking years and years of abuse.

About a year later, sometime in 2008 I think, I got a box in the mail with a new Zune. :lol: I still have the thing, and it still works and hasn't eaten itself. By that time, I had the iPod and since car stereos were starting to come with iPod-specific inputs, I just stuck with that. I barely used that replacement Zune.

I should probably sell the thing, but it makes for an interesting conversation piece.

I still have the thing, and it still works.

Even after termination the Zune is still a solid stand alone device. I found one with nothing but the body for a few bucks at a goodwill a couple years back dead and risked it. I found a way to charge it when I got back home to verify it worked and saw the services were down, but there is a community around that have software and substance setup to continue using it. I found the device actually pretty easy and comfortable to use with a very nice screen and good audio quality out of it as well. I do agree MS screwed up not trying to play off that major movie in some way with maybe a temporary come back of the device. Marvel fans would have been all over that. People look back, look at what Sony has done yet again wth the old Walkman name and the crazy prices on those devices people scoop up.